C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about replacing brake padlets >

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Question about replacing brake padlets >

Below are instructions for replacing front and rear brake "padlets" on a Z06 / GS.

The method below is used if you DON'T want to actually remove the calipers for the padlet replacement.

The problem is ... You will need to remove all the guide pins in order to follow this procedure, and since the guide pins are commonly frozen super tight, it is very likely you may round-off that Torx head when trying to remove the pins ... Round-off one or more of the Torx heads, and now you have a REAL BIG problem on your hands!

So, I am thinking that the best way to change out the pads is to remove the 2 caliper mount bolts, and then replace the padlets.

My question is:

1. After the caliper is removed, do we still need to remove any of these guide pins in order to remove the OEM padlets?

2. Does anyone know the size of the caliper mount bolts? (#16 or #18mm) ... I need to make sure I have the correct socket prior to starting this job.

Replacing GS / Z06 Brake Padlets:

It is not necessary to remove the calipers using this procedure, so you are not going to be removing the 2 caliper mount bolts .

1. Locate the guide pins on the caliper. There will be 4 pins on each of the front calipers, and 3 pins on each rear caliper.

2. Use a Torx-45 bit attached to a 3/8” socket wrench to remove these guide pins. Start at the top and remove all the pins. (2007 and earlier models may have Allen bolts)

Note: Be careful as the guide pins may be frozen, and the head can round off easily with the Torx bit.

3. The old padlets can now be grasped with a pair of pliers and removed.

4. Compress each piston using a large C-clamp and a couple of small blocks of wood to protect the caliper. This will make it easier to install the new padlets.

5. Apply a little High Temp Brake Parts Lubricant to each guide pin (this is usually included with the new padlets).

6. First, install the bottom guide pin finger tight.

7. Now insert the new padlet making sure it is resting on the pin properly.

8. Insert the next pin and jiggle the padlet to make sure the guide pin is not binding. There should be some movement of the pad when the pins are installed properly.

Note: Proceed from the bottom to the top of the caliper.

9. When all the pins and pads are inserted, torque the pins to 30 ft-lbs.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

What the heck is a padlet?
The following users liked this post:
sd45t2 (07-11-2021)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

1. After the caliper is removed, do we still need to remove any of these guide pins in order to remove the OEM padlets?

no pin removal, padlets will fall out. Very easy to do.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I switched over to the Hawk ceramics on my GS a couple weeks back. Taking the 2 caliper mount bolts out and lifting the caliper off is really straightforward. I has to be a lot less work than working with the torx head pins and running the risk of stripping the heads. This also give you a great opportunity to pop off the rotors to clean them up if needed. Sorry,,, don't remember the caliper mount bolt head size.
The following users liked this post:
sd45t2 (07-11-2021)
Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

I remove the guide pins. Only had one issue so far. If you do go this way, dab a little antiseeze on them and they wont be hard the next time.
I stripped one after a track event, had to drill it out with a easy-out bit. PITA
Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

You folks are great!

Well, I am not going to play around with trying to take out the guide pins. If you have a GS or a Z06. you have 4 pins on each front caliper and 3 on each rear ... That's 14 total guide pins in all.

The chances of rounding out at least 1 of these Torx guide pins is really very good!

I think I will just remove the calipers (now I need to find out what the size of the caliper mount bolts is)

For the person ("Racer") that asked what "padlets" are: They are multiple brake pads.

Not like your normal car that has 2 pads for each wheel caliper (1 on each side of the rotor) .. We have padlets .. There are 6 for each front caliper and 4 for each rear caliper.

FYI ... You can now buy "single" disk pads that are like the "regular" pads found on other cars (2 pads per caliper) ... but you will pay alot more for this than just buying the padlets.

In my case, I am replaceing the OEM padlets for Hawk ceramic padlets because am sick and tired of fighting with all the brake dust problems the OEM Grand sport brake pads cause.

Ron,
Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Keppler
Safety Car

Received 432 Likes on 303 Posts

Fairly easy job to replace the padlets. If you have chrome wheels paint the rotor hats gloss black while your at it. Sets off the wheels better than the stock silver.

I installed Hawk ceramics this spring. Cut down on the brake dust at least 80%. Have not experienced any squealing and the brake performance is the same as stock.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Thank's everyone for your comments

Anyone know the size of the 2 mount bolts that attach the calipers?

Torque specs on these 2 bolts?

Blue Loktite on the threads?

Use a 3/8" drive, or a larger 1/2" drive ratchet?
Old 10-21-2011, 07:52 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraider

no pin removal, padlets will fall out. Very easy to do.

I did two Z06's in about two hours shortly after I got my car. It would have been faster but the first one was....well, my first one and I had to go through the learning process.

Sorry, but I don't remember what size socket it was.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:10 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
You folks are great!

Well, I am not going to play around with trying to take out the guide pins. If you have a GS or a Z06. you have 4 pins on each front caliper and 3 on each rear ... That's 14 total guide pins in all. .....

Ron,
Hi Ron

Actually, if you do change pads by removing the pad pins, you DO NOT need to remove all of them.

To swap pads you only need to remove the center pad pins - 2 center ones each side of each front caliper; 1 center pin on each rear caliper.

However, I just remove the caliper when swapping pads.

Bob
Old 10-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Thank's BEZ06 .. Great info for someone wanting to do this job without removing the calipers.

Now if someone could only tell me what size those caliper mount bolts are.

Ron,

I ask this beacause I need to make sure I have the correct socket prior to starting this job. This GS is my only car now, so I need the correct socket before taking the wheels off.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I just remove the calipers, it's easier. I use an upside down bucket to rest the caliper on so as not to strain the brake line going in.
I use one piece Carbotech for the track and the padlets for daily driving as the track pads squeel like a $2 hooker.

I don't recall socket size but just get under and slip one on and try, even taking the wheel off is only a couple mins.
David
Old 10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
What the heck is a padlet?
Tongue in cheek, being the owner of Z06's in past and currently a ZR1 ??

Z06 brakes use 3 pads and 2 pads per side - total of 12 on the front and 8 on the rear brakes instead of one large brake pad per side.....20 little brake "padlets" in total.

Don't know what the number of pads on the ZR1 is/are...
Old 10-21-2011, 12:23 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

When I swapped to the Hawk one piece ceramics I pulled the calipers. I also loosened all the pins before removing the calipers. I did this to ensure that I had no frozen pins and it made lubing them a lot easier. The hardest part for me was being able to apply enough torque to the caliper mounting bolts when putting things back together. It would have been easier if it was on a lift instead of just jacked up.

Sorry, don't remember what size the mounting bolts were but I know not 18mm because I don't have one of those so more than likely a 17mm or 19mm.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Bone Daddy
Member: Jr Geezer's Club
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont waste your time with pins. Two bolts on the knuckle and the next thing you know the padlets are falling out.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Thank's BEZ06 .. Great info for someone wanting to do this job without removing the calipers.

Now if someone could only tell me what size those caliper mount bolts are.

Ron,

I ask this beacause I need to make sure I have the correct socket prior to starting this job. This GS is my only car now, so I need the correct socket before taking the wheels off.
The caliper mounting bolts take a 21MM wrench.

By the way I didn't round off the Torx head of my pad guide pins. I broke my Torx bit off inside the head.

Make sure your Torx pins are tight everytime you are working on the brakes. I had one that was frozen in come loose while on track and it loosened far enough that it hit the back of the wheel and gouged a circle on the inside of the spokes. Others have had the pins fall out along with a pad or two.

Bill
Old 10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
lurtonk
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default There are 28 guide pins.

You forgot the inside.
There are 28 guide pins. 8 on each front caliper and 6 on each rear.

You folks are great!

Well, I am not going to play around with trying to take out the guide pins. If you have a GS or a Z06. you have 4 pins on each front caliper and 3 on each rear ... That's 14 total guide pins in all.

Ron,

Get notified of new replies

To Question about replacing brake padlets >

Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

By the way I didn't round off the Torx head of my pad guide pins. I broke my Torx bit off inside the head.

Make sure your Torx pins are tight everytime you are working on the brakes. I had one that was frozen in come loose while on track and it loosened far enough that it hit the back of the wheel and gouged a circle on the inside of the spokes. Others have had the pins fall out along with a pad or two.

Bill
Bill - you obviously know these brakes well - what is the purpose of the Torx pins in the first place?? If the padlets fall out when you remove the caliper, then I figure it can't be to hold them in place, and why do you only need to loosen the two in the centre??

Just wanting to get educated...

vetfever
Old 10-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Bill .. that's what I needed to know. Thank's alot

That's a pretty good size bolt. i guess it would more than likely take a 1/2" drive ratchet?

Ron,
Old 10-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I put this thread in my favorites list for future reference when I do my brakes on my GS. Thanks all.

Today is THAT DAY!!

Last edited by Don-Vette; 05-03-2015 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about replacing brake padlets >