C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade a c6 for a cts-v?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:50 PM
MO POWR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just traded a 09 CTS-V Sedan for a 11 GS Vette. I thought I wanted the V but it just wasn't a sportscar. If you like the feel of the vette, the caddy won't do it for you. Trust me.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:57 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

A couple of friends was considering trading in their Vette for a new CTS V. A few things changed their mind. Like it or not most people cannot tell the difference between a regular CTS and the V. A Vette's design is noticeable no matter what model it is. Yes you shouldn't buy a car to get noticed. 550 hp is great but not the 18-20 mpg highway (I actually heard one local owner say at 80mph it is more like 15-16 mpg). That is SUV type mileage without the SUV range (my Yukon XL Denali Denali just did 500 miles range with 4 gallons left). Granted it is not as quick as the V (although 0-60 of 7.5 is great for something that is 3 tons and AWD) but it also can seat 7 with luggage in excellent comfort.

Around here in Utah the V would be parked during the winter a lot of days so for me it would be a weekend car which I already have one (11 GS Vert).

I'm also questioning the reliability since the 2nd gen is a relatively new model. 1st gen was real unreliable (search on cadillacforums.com) and their resale is now pitiful ($15k for a 05/06 V).

But it is your money, do as you wish. I would personally take a E550 4 matic version over the V any day though. Sub 5 second to 60 performance in a car you can drive in any weather with a lot more features.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:51 PM
Ozzy12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The V is a very fun car. I've experienced it in coupe form, and now my wife just bought a coupe. Fit and finish is amazing on these cars (for GM anyways). The 2012's even on the non-v's have extensive leather and deviating stitching throughout the cabin which is a nice change from the Vette.

Power wise, the V is very refined. I drove a slush box version, so that was part of it, but in corners you can just lean on it and the excellent weight distribution and smooth power delivery just rockets you around. I spent a few months in a 09 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S (roughly same horsepower) and the V fealt a lot like it. It's an odd feeling, but awesome all the same.

I will agree with the general consensus that the V is not a Vette, all the same it is one of the finest sporty cars around. Notice I said sporty, it does not drive really like a sports car. Your teeth don't rattle when you hit pot holes and you cannot, at least I did not, get the same fun factor in handling and unrefined power that I get out of my vette.

Oh and one last thing, I know someone mentioned head room in the coupe; but I agree with the response, sans moonroof will help there. What you cannot account for is that the CTS has way more leg room than the Vette ever thought of (and you don't even have to slide your feet in behind the peddles when your on cruise on the highway to relax).

Ultimately, they are two amazing cars; probably better observed apart though as they are two very different driving experiences.

Ps: GM should really look into this connection between CTS coupe and Vette owners, seems like a very relevant correlation.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 AM
LITTLEELVISDAN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started with a STS-V then decided I would trade it for a CTS-V coupe. In the end I kept the STS-V and bought a 2011 GS. I already paid off the STS-V so there was no need to get rid of it. I say keep the Vette and add the CTS-V.

Caddy did a great job on the V series cars. It is a natural move from a vette or addition to one. the interiors are laid out almost identical. I can jump into the vette or the STS-V and the controlls are nearly identical. The reason they did the V series was to give Vette guys something to move into when the Vette just doesn't fit the bill any longer or a slightly larger vehicle is required. performance still being the base of the car. So i say add the V to the stable and keep te Vette for play.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:12 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
If you are even considering selling the Corvette for a Cadillac - whether the CTS-V Coupe or another model, I think you should sell the vert ASAP and buy the CTS-V - or any other vehicle.
You are no longer a Corvette aficionado.
Originally Posted by jimb100
You do know that when all is said and done, they are just cars.
Originally Posted by LDB
That kind of monomaniacal attitude gives Vette owners bad names. <snip> that they can’t see and appreciate the common heritage and similarities among Vette, CTSV, and ZL1.
jimb100 has a point . . . And while I disagree with LDB's assessment of the Corvette culture on a corvette board, he is civil in his discourse.

Originally Posted by sjohnson2615
Give your daddy his computer back!
If you are over 10 years old,I am embarrassed for you.
But you, you are just a ch1ckensh1t provocateur. Your post is worth no more than
Old 11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,897 Likes on 1,915 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

CTS-V is a great coupe, but not a Vette. Hulksdaddy went from a Z06 to a CTS_V to get a back seat for his son. Now the whole family can enjoy a spirited cruise.

I see no problem with this, infact it is a great deal for Dave. More time making memories with his family.

I will keep my Vette for now but a V makes sence for some.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Jimsan
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the CTSv. Local dealership has 4 coupes on their lot, each of them black, one with flat black wheels. They are calling my name, I may bring one home.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:26 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Nice car! can't go wrong with a CTSV ..just can't take the roof off and thats something that I personally enjoy a lot in the past few years..
Dam that Caddy's good looking though and talk about fast!

Good luck deciding..
Old 11-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Mel 2001
Drifting

I've been working on getting a good deal and trade my vert, but the deals are only about 5% off sticker plus only $27000 trade in allowance.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

I have a "11 V-Coupe, Black, Recaros & 6 speed stick. Absolutely love the car, that's why I'm keeping it even though my '11 ZR1 is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

The car is a blast to drive, extremely comfortable and loaded with all the creature comforts. Yeah, it's a bit heavy and the front end looks like Cameron Diaz while the rear looks like Roseanne Barr, but it grows on you. Besides, I can't see it's fat *** from the driver's seat anyways.
I can tell you it looks a lot better if you black out the grill (I have pics if you're interested).

Sunroof- I have it & agree with the others it does cut down on headroom, however I'm 5'8" so it's not a big deal. Some of the guys on the Caddy forum have had some issues with water leaks on the sedans, but I don't recall any of the coupes with a problem.

Recaros- Love them! Some guys thought they were uncomfortable at first, but after you get them adjusted to your liking, you will love them.

All in all, they built a hell of a car. It certainly turn heads & gets a lot of thumbs up from men & women alike. Even with an ugly mug like mine, I could probably use the car to pick up girls

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask,

Joe T.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:52 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Mel 2001
I've been working on getting a good deal and trade my vert, but the deals are only about 5% off sticker plus only $27000 trade in allowance.
Your original post says you are trading an 06 vert. Unless there’s something really unique about it, or you meant to type C6 vert instead of 06 vert and the model year is actually much newer than 06, that sounds like a very good deal to me. With normal condition and normal equipment, $27000 is close to retail for an 06 vert, and all they actually allow in a dealer trade-in is wholesale, which would be about $23000. So if your car really is an 06 vert, you have a $4000 discount built into your trade-in, and 5% off sticker is another $3500, so they are offering you effectively $7500 off. Many dealers are still demanding full sticker for CTSV’s, and I haven’t heard of any discounts larger than 3 or 4 thousand unless the CTSV is a demo.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

The CTS-V is a great car if that's what you want. I thought about getting one but opted for the Z06 instead. I did not find the CTS-V as being a nimble car since it is big and heavy. The gas mileage scared me away as well.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Sorry I have a c6 vert Monterey Red 3LT power top 45000miles. bought new looks new. Carfax 25000 dealer 27000. May look into CTS_V on lot instead of new order for better incentives.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:40 AM
bluez06ny
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MO POWR
Just traded a 09 CTS-V Sedan for a 11 GS Vette. I thought I wanted the V but it just wasn't a sportscar. If you like the feel of the vette, the caddy won't do it for you. Trust me.
I agree, bought my CTS-V in '09 and '11 GS last fall...sold CTS-V this spring. CTS-V is an incredible machine, great for moving 4 people fast but, is heavy compared to the Vette.

Quick Reply: Trade a c6 for a cts-v?