C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticky Traction Control Button

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Who Needs Turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky Traction Control Button

Anybody else have an inoperable traction control/active handling button?

I've already tried replacing it with a brand new one. Before mounting the new button it operated smoothly, but after installation it get stuck in the depressed position! I get it popped out again by wedging a business card around the edge...

I assume I've caused it somehow, since the button first started to stick after the first time I removed/reinstalled the center console. Is there a trick to reinstalling the console so the TSC button can operate?

Thanks for any tips
Old 11-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Who Needs Turbo
Instructor

ttt now that we're in prime posting time.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:26 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see how install of the bezel would affect the TC button...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Who Needs Turbo
Instructor

Neither did I until this happened with the brand new button

My guess is that something is wedging against the underside of the button, or putting pressure on it somewhere causing it to stay in the down position.

There's significant resistance to pushing the button.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:01 PM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Who Needs Turbo
Neither did I until this happened with the brand new button

My guess is that something is wedging against the underside of the button, or putting pressure on it somewhere causing it to stay in the down position.

There's significant resistance to pushing the button.
The clips on the side of the button chassis (the part that clips into the console bezel) might be overmolded too far straight out of the box. I filed down the top face of the two clips on the left and right of the car figure of the button.

Sorry for necro. I feel like these problems will become more common as the cars age.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:00 AM
bibbster
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Ours has started doing the same thing. It worked fine the first few times I pushed it, but now it feels like someone spilled a soda down in the console, though I know they didn't. How easy is this button to remove? I'm wondering if you can remove it and then clean it with 91% rubbing alcohol, making sure not to get it on the painted icon as it will remove the paint.

Most folks call it a 'Traction Control' button. I call it a 'Black Stripe Maker' button.

Last edited by bibbster; 09-18-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:39 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bibbster
Ours has started doing the same thing. It worked fine the first few times I pushed it, but now it feels like someone spilled a soda down in the console, though I know they didn't. How easy is this button to remove? I'm wondering if you can remove it and then clean it with 91% rubbing alcohol, making sure not to get it on the painted icon as it will remove the paint.

Most folks call it a 'Traction Control' button. I call it a 'Black Stripe Maker' button.
I replaced it for 16$. You have to remove the center console bezel (which is pretty easy).

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
bibbster (09-18-2018)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:47 PM
Todd5150
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Who Needs Turbo
Anybody else have an inoperable traction control/active handling button?

I've already tried replacing it with a brand new one. Before mounting the new button it operated smoothly, but after installation it get stuck in the depressed position! I get it popped out again by wedging a business card around the edge...

I assume I've caused it somehow, since the button first started to stick after the first time I removed/reinstalled the center console. Is there a trick to reinstalling the console so the TSC button can operate?

Thanks for any tips
How did you get it taken apart to get to the trash? Control the list control and the front video I just wanna replace all three at once.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:23 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd5150
How did you get it taken apart to get to the trash? Control the list control and the front video I just wanna replace all three at once.
OP hasn't been on here for over 12 years....... I wouldn't count on getting an answer.
Old 01-20-2024, 01:07 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd5150

walk in the park, since the same snap lock outer pieces to lock it into the bezel, is the same slots used to lock the button in place as well.

So you just need to use a small thin piece of metal each side to push down between the inner button both sides to free its snap locks from the slot, to pull the button out in the first place. Once button is out, then you can clean up all the gunk that is causing the button to stick in the inner barrel, then snap the button back in place.

Also note how the upper barrel assembly, snap locks to the bottom electroinc section, so you push these tabs in as well, to remove the button housing from the lower electronic housing for futher detail cleaning,

Hence no different on how you pull the rear hatch release button apart to clean it as well.
The following users liked this post:
4SUMERZ (01-20-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Sticky Traction Control Button

Quick Reply: Sticky Traction Control Button