C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for cheapest smoked tail light covers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Rance03
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for cheapest smoked tail light covers!

I have a 2006 black corvette and I'm trying to black it out and I was just wondering if anyone knows the best site to get the cheapest smoked out tail light covers. I know the cheapest way is just to get them tinted but I'm looking for covers, so any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The "cheapest smoked tail light" look would be dirt

I paid about a hundred bucks for the 5 piece acrylic set. 5 years now and they still look perfect.

If I was doing it on the cheap, I'd probably go with the NightShades paint.

However, you'd be painting your only set and I'm not sure how easily this stuff comes back off, if it even does. Withe the acrylic covers, if you had to go back to stock, it would take about 2 minutes to just remove the covers.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:09 PM
azschmeh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rance03
I have a 2006 black corvette and I'm trying to black it out and I was just wondering if anyone knows the best site to get the cheapest smoked out tail light covers. I know the cheapest way is just to get them tinted but I'm looking for covers, so any help will be greatly appreciated!
Rance03,
I just ordered a set of vinyl tints for my C6 from http://subject9.com/ (found him through Ebay). They haven't arrived yet so I can't speak to the quality, and I know you said you didn't want tint, but the price is right: Taillights (incl. 3rd 'idiot' light), reverse lights, and front and rear side markers = $26 shipped. I also ordered tints for my front fogs for an extra $6. He has both a light tint and a darker tint. Seems like a good guy in the emails we've exchanged, too. If you're looking for something that you can take off to return the car to stock eventually without spending a paycheck or two, I'd give him a shot.

Last edited by azschmeh; 11-02-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

"cheap" looks cheap. please dont put the stick on covers that attach with double sided tape. nothing says "cheap" more on a vette.

would you fix that nice car with duct tape just because its cheap? i think not.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:02 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
"cheap" looks cheap. please dont put the stick on covers that attach with double sided tape. nothing says "cheap" more on a vette.

would you fix that nice car with duct tape just because its cheap? i think not.
Would I put something on my car to make it harder to see my brake lights for the dickwad behind me?

I think not.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:05 AM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

"cheap" looks cheap. please dont put the stick on covers that attach with double sided tape. nothing says "cheap" more on a vette...would you fix that nice car with duct tape just because its cheap? i think not.
You're way off with that statement. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. The acrylic covers (that stick on with double sided tape) are actually the high end, and the most expensive. They look far better than film or paint.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 AM
C6Chyk
Navigator

Be careful with the "cheap" - cuz it does not always translate to looking good.

Before my vette, I had a 5thGen Camaro and initially blacked out the taillights with a "cheap" cut to fit acrylic that used 3m tape to stay in place. From a distance, it looked cool. Once you got even remotely close to the car tho it looked like ***. You could see the plastic edges and easily discern that it was a stick on item..... I ripped them off immediately and paid for a real tint. Looked AMAZING far away AND up close.

Pay for a real tint job. Its SOOOO worth the added coin. Otherwise you will end up paying twice; once for the "cheap" and once for the "good."

Last edited by C6Chyk; 11-03-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HummelS
Would I put something on my car to make it harder to see my brake lights for the dickwad behind me?

I think not.
this is a debate as to which method to use, not your opinion on darkening the lights

Last edited by Grumpy; 11-03-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: inappropriate comments removed
Old 11-03-2011, 07:16 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keyplyr
You're way off with that statement. Obviously you don't know what you're talking about. The acrylic covers (that stick on with double sided tape) are actually the high end, and the most expensive. They look far better than film or paint.
high end? how is taping on a piece of plastic over a lamp on a 50k dollar car considered high end? i do know what im talking about because i tried both the paint and the acrylic covers. you can visibly see the double sided tape with the covers. you can't beat the look of painted and clear coated lights. sure your picture makes the covrers appear well. and if you think that looks good then enjoy but up close the joke is on you. i think its you who has no class and therefore doesnt know what you're talking about. the op asked for the cheapest... acrylic covers are cheap looking and over priced so your opinion is not valid here.

Last edited by child_of_fire; 11-03-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by azschmeh
Rance03,
I just ordered a set of vinyl tints for my C6 from http://subject9.com/ (found him through Ebay). They haven't arrived yet so I can't speak to the quality, and I know you said you didn't want tint, but the price is right: Taillights (incl. 3rd 'idiot' light), reverse lights, and front and rear side markers = $26 shipped. I also ordered tints for my front fogs for an extra $6. He has both a light tint and a darker tint. Seems like a good guy in the emails we've exchanged, too. If you're looking for something that you can take off to return the car to stock eventually without spending a paycheck or two, I'd give him a shot.
Let us know how it turns out. I might just take that kit to my tint guy and have him install it.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 AM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did viynal on my C5 and it looked great, NEVER had a problem with them falling off even when washing the car. They were on for over 50,000 miles

Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Dubz
Heel & Toe

Wish I would have seen this earlier. I just took off my covers and left them at my brother in laws house for him to do whatever he wanted with them. I will see if he still has them..of so you can have them for the price of shipping.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:55 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Although I have a C5, the few options I debated over were velcro type lenses, screw on type lenses using existing lamp screws, and having someone paint them.

I eliminated paint right off the bat because if I got pulled over, I couldn't "remove" the paint on the spot. Regardless of how cool it may look, a ticket (or getting no ticket) was far more concerning.

I eliminated the velcro fastening type because no matter how great they look in day time, you can see the velcro tape strip at night time when you hit the brakes. This route would be ok if you only plan on using the lens covers in the day time and remove at night (which was not going to happen.) So they were eliminated.

The last option was the standard lens covers that mounted by using the existing lens cover screws. Simply unscrew the light screws, place lens over light, screw back on. The opacity of the lenses were very good (almost 85-90% tint) to allow light through in the day and it was very acceptable lighting at night. No velcro tape and if I got pulled over, I could ask "If I could remove them in the next 2 minutes, will you let me go with a warning?"

The only issue I had with those covers was that they were slightly curved, but not perfectly curved to fit the light. If it was a "cap" type lens cover that screwed on over the light, this would have been PERFECT!!!

Since then, I had my rear fascia painted black so I removed the lens covers to offset teh rear fascia black with some contrast (the red lamps)

Good luck in your selection.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 11-03-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:57 PM
0corvettemods1
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

http://www.corvettemods.com/servlet/...ackouts/Detail
Old 11-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Rance03
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dubz
Wish I would have seen this earlier. I just took off my covers and left them at my brother in laws house for him to do whatever he wanted with them. I will see if he still has them..of so you can have them for the price of shipping.
Yeah If you could do that it would be awesome!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Rance03
6th Gear

I have been looking at this set off of ebay. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not this would be a good buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-09-Chevy-...#ht_500wt_1127
Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I have been looking at this set off of ebay. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether or not this would be a good buy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-09-Chevy-...#ht_500wt_1127
GTS has a LOGO On both outter tail light covers. I suggest you get lens covers with no logos. That, or you will be scraping the GTS off the lens covers with an exacto knife. Not cool. Look elsewhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for cheapest smoked tail light covers!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:35 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

pm sent
Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

you can visibly see the double sided tape with the covers.
Then you bought cheap covers

The double sided tape cannot be seen through the acrylic covers that I have. They are very dark and look great. I've had them for over 5 years.

Spend a little. Stop being so damn cheap... after all it's a Corvette.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:22 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by keyplyr
Then you bought cheap covers

The double sided tape cannot be seen through the acrylic covers that I have. They are very dark and look great. I've had them for over 5 years.

Spend a little. Stop being so damn cheap... after all it's a Corvette.
i wish it was safe to say that only smart people drive corvettes but some make it clear that this is not the case. you should probably read the posts prior to making comments like that. it makes you look less intelligent. so, one more time. are you ready? i had my lights removed and professionally painted--no stick on covers. it looks great. if you are okay with taping things to your car then hurray for you. if someone wants to get a spoiler for there car do you recommend taping that on too?

Last edited by child_of_fire; 11-04-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for cheapest smoked tail light covers!