C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I had mine replaced many miles ago.

http://store.katechengines.com/bille...sioner-p2.aspx

http://store.katechengines.com/ati-s...ts-v-p230.aspx

So far so good.
Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by diyguy
What, is it not totally obvious that the pulley is NOT in the correct position? Both the main serpentine and the A/C belt are about a groove off, or - it HAS moved forward but is still clearly gripping the crankshaft and isn't moving backwards or forwards, (begins at 13 seconds through 18 seconds in the vid)

I took the best offset box wrench I could find (a socket would not fit) and put it on a cheater pipe and still coud not budge the bolt at all!
I'm thinkin I recall that bolt torque spec at over 185 ft lbs. It's a "torque to...then 1/8 more turn" - one time use bolt.

I never said it was throwing any belts. I said it was off the correct groves and over time the back part of the belt (towards the block) would start to shred over a couple of weeks time.

Call the noise what you want.. with the hood down and sitting inside the car, sorry - but I call it a 'chirping' sound ...

Point is there was nothing wrong with the HB - no wobble, no disintegration or delamination. If it was, the shop would have replaced it. As it's a real PIA, I'm sure they didn't want to see that car again after the newly desinged bolt worked - at least on my car. BTW the replacement bolt is black, not a galvanized look as the OEM one

I destest when someone makes the comment "your story doesn't add up" when you've got a video clearly showing the obvious.

Armchair diagnostics....
It definitely is not right and if it all the sudden stopped chirping for 8000 miles until he sold it obviously it was a problem with the bolt. I don't think the HB is wobbling, and the belt definitely looks like it slipped a grove. I also agree it sounds like chirping.

I'm beginning to think it is a problem that happened either at the engine plant or at BG. I asked the question before, but it seemed like most of these issues are with auto trannies which the engine is built up in Canada.

My 11 GS Vert chirped from about 500 miles, it went away when they replaced the belt. However compared to my 08 the engine seems to make a lot more drive train noise off idle.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

OK, I can see that replacing the bolt fixed your "loose" harmonic balancer. Still don't understand why the bolt was "tight" when you checked it. It should have come out by hand. And why the balancer was running pretty true. And why if it was slipping on the crank and making the noise we hear why it didn't severely damage both parts. As far as chirping or not I wish I'd videotaped my 05 that clearly was chirping because of a wobbling pulley. I maintain that what you hear in the video is not chirping from a belt. As an aside, my 05 was a manual trans.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:12 PM
NeFloridaC6
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 07, I had the HB replaced 2 months ago, the car had about 37k miles. The dealer did it under the powertrain warranty no problem. Car now has 42k miles. Yesterday I took my car to get the 45,000 mile service done and asked them to check for a squeaking noise. I thought now I was having an issue with a tensioner or another pulley or something. I didnt want to drive to the Turkey Run in Daytona with that squeak, Murphy's law says it will break somewhere on I-95. They called me today and said they have to replace the HB again! How does that happen? I'm a little concerned about this, guess I'll wait and see what the dealer says caused it. BTW,this is a big repair, I would not recommend trying it at home. Also the first time it was changed, the problem was the HB, not the bolt.

Last edited by NeFloridaC6; 11-10-2011 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (01-20-2020)
Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

NeFloridaC6,
I'll be monitoring this thread. Let us know what you find out.

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Originally Posted by NeFloridaC6
I have an 07, I had the HB replaced 2 months ago, the car had about 37k miles. The dealer did it under the powertrain warranty no problem. Car now has 42k miles. Yesterday I took my car to get the 45,000 mile service done and asked them to check for a squeaking noise. I thought now I was having an issue with a tensioner or another pulley or something. I didnt want to drive to the Turkey Run in Daytona with that squeak, Murphy's law says it will break somewhere on I-95. They called me today and said they have to replace the HB again! How does that happen? I'm a little concerned about this, guess I'll wait and see what the dealer says caused it. BTW,this is a big repair, I would not recommend trying it at home. Also the first time it was changed, the problem was the HB, not the bolt.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:11 PM
NeFloridaC6
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Followup
I got my car back today, the dealer said they never had to replace the HB twice on the same car before. My invoice says the HB was warped causing the squeaking belts. They think it was a defective part. I hope this time it is a permanent fix. I heard this has been a problem since 95 when those HB's were sliding off the shafts. I guess Chevy thinks its not worth fixing.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:47 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Sos

Originally Posted by NeFloridaC6
Followup
I got my car back today, the dealer said they never had to replace the HB twice on the same car before. My invoice says the HB was warped causing the squeaking belts. They think it was a defective part. I hope this time it is a permanent fix. I heard this has been a problem since 95 when those HB's were sliding off the shafts. I guess Chevy thinks its not worth fixing.
SOS with GM, they can't get it right, only make it worse. They keep degrading the Vette. WOW!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:11 AM
AKc62007
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help.. is this a bad HB..? I heard squeaking at ideal..opened the hood and notice what you see in the video.
http://www.aksnapshots.com/p66309676...49ae#h344e49ae

what do you think?

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer Problem