C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fm modulators for my C6

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:40 PM
virtualdentist
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fm modulators for my C6

cannot seem to find any information on the subject, so here goes....

i spent about $45 on an fm modulator plugs into the cig lighter. You can plug your usb or apple directly to this unit and it broadcasts on the frequency you selct. all powered by the cig lighter power. I have used this in other cars, but curious if anybody has a recommendation for the C6 (2006). Tried it in my XC90 Volvo and no go.

appreciate any and all responses
Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM
vettephyxer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used one similar to what you describe in my base model 07 for my i-pod. It worked fine locally but on the hwy I had to change frequencies at times due to them being already in use in that area. I just got used to it and it wasn't that big of a deal.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I tried these also with very limited success. I finally ordered the PAL-II and installed it in my vert. It is not the greatest but it works well with my iPod, integrates with the HUD and was easy to install. And at ~$185 it was not very expensive.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This doesn't really answer your question but IMHO a hardwired connection to the stereo sounds much better than using the FM Radio approach.

Search for Ray Kawal's DIY solution using the XM wiring harness and install a small jack that you can plug your music player into.

Well documented and very inexpensive and easy to do.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
dealer06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely recommend the $29 fix from Kawal as well. Plugs in in about 3 minutes and the sound is excellent. No FM static, doesn't require a lighter plug, etc.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

He has an 06. If the car didn't come with xm from the factory (like mine ) he may not be able to use the quick connect method.

If the xm component is there
If not, you're looking at spending $190 (for the PAL), removing the center console and plug-in in the PAL to the head unit.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:47 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what information you're looking for? They output the signal via fm. You have to make sure the frequency you select isn't being used. Sometimes, the frequency isn't exactly right, so you have to go up or down an increment on your radio. There really isn't anything car specific to these. Should work on the xc90.

I have one that I use when I'm renting a car (actually, two - one for the Zune and one for the IPod). They do the job, but really don't sound that great.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 11-14-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fm modulators for my C6

Quick Reply: Fm modulators for my C6