C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 is a double edge sward!! Mis my stick!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 06:24 AM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Keefer07
I bought a Diablosport Predator Tuner and am much happier with the shifting now.

Are you sure? I didn't think the diabllos tuned the transmission. I could be wrong though. I had a diablo tune for about a week and wasn't happy with it. I then went with a Vette dr.s tune and the car felt completely different including the shifting on the A6 trans.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:04 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,940 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
No...the STICK is always "there" the paddles are all over the place.
The paddles are always on the exact same location on the wheel and if your hands are where they belong you will be able to shift instantly - up or down.

When one is rowing a manual - something I've been doing for 56 years - one hand is off the steering wheel.

But, again, if your hands are in the correct driving position a paddle will always be there for you to shift.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:05 AM
jthurik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had real issues with the paddles until I added this:

Last edited by jthurik; 12-10-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:21 AM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
my 09 A6 is fine.
For the first 3000 miles it was a little sluggish and had some hesitation, etc etc.
But after that and now with 12000 miles on it, I don't see the problem either.
I agree it's not a race ready Auto, and sure a Tune would improve it a lot.
But I don't have any hesitation up shifting or down shifting unless going really really slow.
Accelerating under heavy throttle the shifts are instant.
And when getting off a highway at 80 and downshifting before taking exits, the downshifts are instant also
I agree... My 08' is great with 44,000. A6 must be ok since 70 percent vette owners have them.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I'm a control type guy hence all manual transmissions in my personnel car's since 1963 except for 2003 M3 paddle shifter. Wife's car is a auto (2008) and is first one in family other than the M3 in 34 years of marriage.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:45 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
The paddles are always on the exact same location on the wheel and if your hands are where they belong you will be able to shift instantly - up or down.

When one is rowing a manual - something I've been doing for 56 years - one hand is off the steering wheel.

But, again, if your hands are in the correct driving position a paddle will always be there for you to shift.
On mine when the wheel turned so did the paddles.....
Old 12-10-2011, 11:36 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
my 09 A6 is fine.
For the first 3000 miles it was a little sluggish and had some hesitation, etc etc.
But after that and now with 12000 miles on it, I don't see the problem either.
I agree it's not a race ready Auto, and sure a Tune would improve it a lot.
But I don't have any hesitation up shifting or down shifting unless going really really slow.
Accelerating under heavy throttle the shifts are instant.
And when getting off a highway at 80 and downshifting before taking exits, the downshifts are instant also
You must have never been in a car that actually has a good auto transmission then

The paddles in the C6 are very slow to respond, but once they do, the shifts are very quick.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
You must have never been in a car that actually has a good auto transmission then

The paddles in the C6 are very slow to respond, but once they do, the shifts are very quick.
You're right, but some of us are not experiencing the drastic lag/hesitation some others are complaining about.
I'm sure you know there's also a big difference in paddle response depending on build year.
With my 09, the more throttle applied, the less time there is between the time you hit the paddle and the trans actually shifts.
And even at that, there's not enough lag to complain about considering it's not a real race trans, which I agree it isn't.
But with anything close to or at full throttle, there's hardly a noticeable lag worth mentioning using the paddles.
Without paddles active, at full throttle, the shifts are "instant" from one gear to the next.
As the OP stated, he's not having a problem at full throttle, but does seem to have something wrong around town which some of us with the A6 don't have.
Anyone having driven the A6 for any length of time knows the amount of throttle governs how long within reason, the trans will hold a gear before it shifts.
The OP feels his shifts from 1st to 2nd too soon making a turn
No offenses to anyone but, let's be realistic, if 1st was any shorter/lower, it would shift before even making the turn.
Only way to not have it shift that soon is Tune it, use the paddles or get heavy on the throttle.
I personally don't get heavy on the throttle making a turn out of 1st unless I want to be looking out my side window

I agree the A6 is not perfect for everyone's taste the way it's setup, but the A6 trans itself is far from being Junk like some claim.
IMO, too many expect the A6 to do something it's not setup to do from the Factory without Tuning it
Other alternatives could be to buy a Ferrari or get a M6
Old 12-10-2011, 06:23 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 592 Posts

Think about this! It's only a matter of time before the programming and technology produce an invincible trans! Look at Porsche, Ferrari and even VW. I like my A6 and it runs great. Cannot wait for the next upgrade!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:26 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
You're right, but some of us are not experiencing the drastic lag/hesitation some others are complaining about.
I'm sure you know there's also a big difference in paddle response depending on build year.
With my 09, the more throttle applied, the less time there is between the time you hit the paddle and the trans actually shifts.
And even at that, there's not enough lag to complain about considering it's not a real race trans, which I agree it isn't.
But with anything close to or at full throttle, there's hardly a noticeable lag worth mentioning using the paddles.
Without paddles active, at full throttle, the shifts are "instant" from one gear to the next.
As the OP stated, he's not having a problem at full throttle, but does seem to have something wrong around town which some of us with the A6 don't have.
Anyone having driven the A6 for any length of time knows the amount of throttle governs how long within reason, the trans will hold a gear before it shifts.
No offenses to anyone but, let's be realistic, if 1st was any shorter/lower, it would shift before even making the turn.
Only way to not have it shift that soon is Tune it, use the paddles or get heavy on the throttle.
I personally don't get heavy on the throttle making a turn out of 1st unless I want to be looking out my side window

I agree the A6 is not perfect for everyone's taste the way it's setup, but the A6 trans itself is far from being Junk like some claim.
IMO, too many expect the A6 to do something it's not setup to do from the Factory without Tuning it
Totally agree with this post. Only thing I would add is that in my 2011, shift speed seems more engine speed dependent than throttle dependent, and if the transmission has locked the torque converter, there is always an extra delay because it won't shift with the converter locked and so has to unlock before initiating the shift.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something for the uninformed to watch. Notice where the paddles are and how well they respond. It does however take time to get used to. As noted in past threads younger guys adapt to the paddles much quicker since they use their fingers (thumbs) to text and play video games. Some (note some) older guys that are set in their ways find the paddles much more difficult to use and therfore tend to bash them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8fDTp-7sKE
Old 12-10-2011, 06:36 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
Translation: Free your grits with a valuable credit card.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 592 Posts

I have no problem with the paddles...and I'm one old fart! However, in time these trannys adapt to your driving. Plus, there are lots of folks who tune them and the cars run like a rocket! I percieve that Chevrolet will come out with a dual clutch 7 speed auto stick.... mark my words.

However, I cannot afford a new one... boo whoo!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,220 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows
Something for the uninformed to watch. Notice where the paddles are and how well they respond. It does however take time to get used to. As noted in past threads younger guys adapt to the paddles much quicker since they use their fingers (thumbs) to text and play video games. Some (note some) older guys that are set in their ways find the paddles much more difficult to use and therfore tend to bash them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8fDTp-7sKE
On full throttle runs like that I juts left it in D.....It was too slow otherwise with the paddles...Now just lazily cruising the paddles were ok except in 2nd gear it took the converter a beat or two to lock up. Simply annoying.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

It works it don't work, soooo cornfusing
Old 12-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by ladder13
It works it don't work, soooo cornfusing

Some people cannot adapt to change. We all had or have the Grandpa or Grandma that can't change the clock on the VCR.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

(owner 1) My auto shifts way to slow
(owner 2) My auto shifts lightening fast!
(owner 3) You've obviously never driven real manu-matic paddel shift
(owner 4) No...you just don't know how to use the very sophisticated paddle shifter
(owner 2) Look at this video..it proves everything

This is very entertaining stuff!

Last edited by saplumr; 12-10-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 is a double edge sward!! Mis my stick!!

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Snakes & Arrows
Pro

Originally Posted by saplumr
(owner 1) My auto shifts way to slow
(owner 2) My auto shifts lightening fast!
(owner 3) You've obviously never driven real manu-matic paddel shift
(owner 4) No...you just don't know how to use the very sophisticated paddle shifter
(owner 2) Look at this video..it proves everything

This is very entertaining stuff!

One note. The video was in part for those that are obviously unaware of where the paddles are even located.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Snakes & Arrows

Some people cannot adapt to change. We all had or have the Grandpa or Grandma that can't change the clock on the VCR.
Quit talkin' about me!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:47 AM
phatman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dif

This post is on point. I guess i am a little confused, because my buddy just came buy my house to show me his 2012 SRT8 300c. Very nice car, pretty quick, but his paddle shifts were instant!! I just couldn't see myself spending $50 plus for it. I would've purchased a used CTS-V.

Quick Reply: A6 is a double edge sward!! Mis my stick!!