C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My last, I hope Car & Driver magazine.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:35 AM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default My last, I hope Car & Driver magazine.

I didn't renew my subscription months ago but it just keeps coming. The January 2012 may be the worst one ever. In an article on the best 10 cars under $80,000 they included Ford Focus and Mustang Gt, along with the usuall Japaneese and European junk.

No mention of probably the best car available under $80,000 the C6 Vette.

The only positive note they did include a Cadillac CTS-V in the ten, and included the ZR1 in the over $80k cars. But had to end the ZR1 paragraph with, Unapologetically American, faults and all.

I was not aware of any faults on any Vette.
LJ
Old 12-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,075 Likes on 595 Posts

What do you expect when the majority of the editors drive BMW's and always bash Corvettes? Plus, the mag is owned by a French company on top of that. I take everything they write with a grain of salt.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 472 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

They are talking non sports cars obviously...like you said, they talk about the mustang
Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 AM
LarryMJones
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Garret
They are talking non sports cars obviously...like you said, they talk about the mustang
They included a Porsche and Mazda Miata

Obvious sports cars.
LJ
Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Never renewed mine either. Automobile mag. is my only read now.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:54 AM
phatman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to keep in mind the C6 is now considered an old body style. We love our cars based on performance, but many of those mag guys judge on all around performance. we are living in a technology age and many cars are coming equiped with features that keep the drivers occupied while driving, whcih is dangerous. I am willing to bet that the C7 will be one of the best cars on the market for the money. In 2005, the Corvette killed the competition. Look at the CTS-V and pretty soon the ZL1. the c7 will take a little from all the new technology and once again rule. The only negative all mags had to say about the C6 is the interior. they cannot find fault in anything else. Lets face it, Ford has really turned the Mustang into a competitive Muscle car. The 6 has 300hp and they are increasing the power of the 5.0 and Shelby. Just watch, the C7 will be a very nice car.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

they would lose more subscribers than just you if every year they had the same cars over and over again.....I'm sure the C7 will be on there the first year it comes out....
Old 12-19-2011, 12:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,276 Posts

What bugs me with the rags is when they do have a positive review on a US car, they invariably (and often numerous times throughout the article), refer to how "surprised" they were with x, y, or z.

Surprised? Really? Perhaps if they ditch their deep seated prejudice against American cars they could actually be objective about them. Granted that prejudice began honestly enough when US manufacturers were routinely turning out crap. But that is no longer the case across the board, and US manufacturers are turning cars every bit as competitive as anybody.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,075 Likes on 595 Posts

They drive me nuts but, they always rag about the Corvette's interior. However, about a month ago I rented a brand new Mustang..and yes it's a nice car...but the interior!?! It's not that great and not nearly as comfortable as my 06's. I think they just do it to add controversy and sell more of their raggity *** magazines.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Did you see the Consumer Reports" Jan issue?

It ranked cars based on their owners satisfaction with what they got.

In its class, the Corvette won with one of the highest levels of any class of vehicle.

Regardless of what writers may say about the latest and greatest innovations, the 'aged' C6 still delivers what its buyers wanted.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
greengo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect they will be changing the name soon to:
JAPANESE CARS & DRIVERS
Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Who cares what Car and Driver writers think? I bought my Vette because it is American muscle and damn good at what it does.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:54 PM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMJones
I didn't renew my subscription months ago but it just keeps coming. The January 2012 may be the worst one ever. In an article on the best 10 cars under $80,000 they included Ford Focus and Mustang Gt, along with the usuall Japaneese and European junk.

No mention of probably the best car available under $80,000 the C6 Vette.

The only positive note they did include a Cadillac CTS-V in the ten, and included the ZR1 in the over $80k cars. But had to end the ZR1 paragraph with, Unapologetically American, faults and all.

I was not aware of any faults on any Vette.
LJ
Almost all mags have gone to auto renew. I hate that & have cancelled all my publications because of it. Expect a bill that you will have to pay or get turned over to a collection agency.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

I have not picked up that rag of a mag for years and will continue to boycott them
Old 12-19-2011, 01:21 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had probably better put on my flak jacket for this....

No faults with the Vette? Seriously? I love mine, and it was the best car for the money for what I wanted (sports car with character), but ignoring what others would consider faults is silly.

I've always argued that I love the fact that GM keeps the Vette attainable by reducing costs in non performance areas to allow for volume sales. And the interior is good enough for me. But honestly, when comparing the interior materials to any other $50-$70k car, the Vette is seriously lacking. Heck, the S2000 has nicer interior materials. I can see why GM does it, but I can also see why many people would complain.

And GM really dropped the ball by not offering a more aggressive seat. Just the availability of a Recaro designed seat would have eliminated the complaints in the mags... And most buyers would still have ordered the standard versions.

Compared to the M3 (which is on the 10 best list), the Vette is cruder, less balanced, harder to drive fast, etc. But I would still buy my Vette over an M3 again in a heartbeat. And all of the things I didn't like about the Vette were easy enough to change. The Vette isn't for everyone, but people who get it, get it.

But calling the cars they've included European and Japanese junk is pretty closed minded. There are some great cars on that list.

Last edited by WAwatchnut; 12-19-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:41 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,275 Likes on 510 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I have never subscribed to Car & Driver, but for some reason it continues to come every year. I guess someone must think I like it. I don't. These people are idiots, obsessed with themselves and arrogant beyond all reason. Their automotive knowledge is paltry and their opinions worthless. Their "letters page" is a good example of how not to write in any magazine. They nearly always disparage each and every letter writer, proclaim themselves correct and indisputable, and basically insult everyone who bothers to write to them. It constantly amazes me that anyone does.

Posers and dilettantes, all of them. I wouldn't insult a pet bird by lining his cage with such garbage.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:11 PM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Did not renew my subscription for many reasons.

Get notified of new replies

To My last, I hope Car & Driver magazine.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd wager there are a lot more "mustangs" sold in the US than Corvettes over the past three years. There's something to be said for catering to your audience.

But fair and balanced they are not - just glamorous opinion pieces.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:17 PM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Never renewed mine either. Automobile mag. is my only read now.

Automobile is the best, but I still get Road and Track and Motor Trend too. Dropped C&D after reading for 10 years as it just went down hill the last couple years.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:27 PM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I had it and did not renew. Ditto the reasons listed here.

Quick Reply: My last, I hope Car & Driver magazine.