C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud squeaking noise from under hood

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 PM
cb98coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMG
It's most likely the crankshaft pulley as it's a common problem. I took it to the dealer and they said it was just a dirty belt, sprayed it and the noise went away. Yesterday it was back with vengeance.

A friend of mine who was in his Vette while I was in mine had the problem awhile ago and showed me the pulley was wobbling bad. I bought some belt dressing and the noise is gone but if I don't fix it soon the pulley can come off and cause a lot of damage.

I've been calling to get estimates today and it will run around $400-$500 at least. Needless to say I'm going to do it.
Just the part is $300 and its a big job . If someone charges you $1000 you are doing good .
Old 05-18-2018, 01:57 AM
CJ Jorgenson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why

Originally Posted by RickMG
It's most likely the crankshaft pulley as it's a common problem. I took it to the dealer and they said it was just a dirty belt, sprayed it and the noise went away. Yesterday it was back with vengeance.

A friend of mine who was in his Vette while I was in mine had the problem awhile ago and showed me the pulley was wobbling bad. I bought some belt dressing and the noise is gone but if I don't fix it soon the pulley can come off and cause a lot of damage.
If it went away with belt dressing
I've been calling to get estimates today and it will run around $400-$500 at least. Needless to say I'm going to do it.
if the noise goes away with belt dressing, I don't understand why you would think it is the HB, That at least proves it isn't the interface between the HB and Crank. What am I not understanding?
Old 05-18-2018, 03:08 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ Jorgenson
if the noise goes away with belt dressing, I don't understand why you would think it is the HB, That at least proves it isn't the interface between the HB and Crank. What am I not understanding?
This thread is 6 yrs old, that's what your not understanding.

Quick Reply: Loud squeaking noise from under hood