C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem: FOB Programming '07

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Problem: FOB Programming '07

I have a new FOB I want to add. I've tried the instructions in the manual and instructions found here on the forum. No matter what I do I can't get the DIC to display "Ready For FOB #X". With both the new and current FOB on my person, I use the trunk key to open the trunk. Then turn the key 5 times within 5 seconds.. nothing on the DIC. I've tried with the car completely off and in accessory mode. What am I missing here.. any tips or tricks to this?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

With both the new and current FOB on my person, I use the trunk key to open the trunk. Then turn the key 5 times within 5 seconds.. nothing on the DIC
If that's what you're doing, it's wrong. All FOB's have to be FAR AWAY from the car, outside the garage, farthest corner of the house or yard, whatever it takes. It's pretty amazing how far away they have to be considering all the threads we see about FOB's not being recognized even in the car due to RF interference, etc.

11. Drivers window down, car off
12. Trunk open
13. Glove box open
14. Make sure NO Fobs are anywhere near the car. IMPORTANT.
15. Put key in trunk keyhole and turn key five times in less than 5 seconds.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:18 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RicK T
If that's what you're doing, it's wrong. All FOB's have to be FAR AWAY from the car, outside the garage, farthest corner of the house or yard, whatever it takes. It's pretty amazing how far away they have to be considering all the threads we see about FOB's not being recognized even in the car due to RF interference, etc.
I will try this as I'm willing to try anthing but..

Your instructions are from the LONG procedure which erases existing FOBs. I'm just adding a FOB which is steps 1-10. Step 4 says keep the current FOB in the car as does the manual #2:

"Have the recognized and new, unrecognized trasmitters on your person."
Old 01-16-2012, 06:20 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Okay, then you are doing it correctly but......you understand that the new FOB won't have access to memory settings, etc using the short procedure.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay, then you are doing it correctly but......you understand that the new FOB won't have access to memory settings, etc using the short procedure.
That's fine I'm just trying to get the new FOB matched first. Then I'll do the long procedure.. I don't want to erase FOBs unless I know it can work.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Okay. Make sure you are turning the key a full 90 degrees. Frequently dirt in the lock prevents this. And if there's a backup camera mounted above the license plate, at least one member reported that it was preventing turning the key all the way.

Check these hints, posts #111 and #112 from the programming thread, might help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576835889-post111.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576835961-post112.html
Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Okay. Make sure you are turning the key a full 90 degrees. Frequently dirt in the lock prevents this. And if there's a backup camera mounted above the license plate, at least one member reported that it was preventing turning the key all the way.

Check these hints, posts #111 and #112 from the programming thread, might help.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576835889-post111.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1576835961-post112.html
This actually helped.. thank you! I wasn't turning the key far enough. New problem now though. I get the "Ready For FOB #3" message but when I put in the 08+ FOB nothing happens. It sits there forever doing nothing as if the FOB was never inserted. I insert my existing FOB and it says "Known FOB" so I know the glove box is working.

A) I do not have the KEY for the new FOB, just the FOB itself. Do I need it in the FOB for it to work?

B) I insert it "key forward" with buttons pointing to the passenger side of the car.. it appears to "snap" into place.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Only thing I can think is that maybe the battery in the new FOB is dead or maybe it needs turned over (it's new from the dealer). Maybe they ship them upside down to prevent battery wear? Sounds stupid but it's all I can think of at this point.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Sounds like you're doing it right. Change or flip the battery and see what happens.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:46 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
I have a new FOB I want to add. I've tried the instructions in the manual and instructions found here on the forum. No matter what I do I can't get the DIC to display "Ready For FOB #X". With both the new and current FOB on my person, I use the trunk key to open the trunk. Then turn the key 5 times within 5 seconds.. nothing on the DIC. I've tried with the car completely off and in accessory mode. What am I missing here.. any tips or tricks to this?
I could be wrong but I thought I had read in another post that the car will only accept 2 FOB's at at time.....
Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RobLo
I could be wrong but I thought I had read in another post that the car will only accept 2 FOB's at at time.....
It'll hold 4 at a time but only the first 2 programmed access the memory settings.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:56 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

It'll hold 4 at a time but only the first 2 programmed access the memory settings.
Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 09:01 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like you're doing it right. Change or flip the battery and see what happens.
Nadda.. literally nothing happens.. quite frustrating.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:31 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Several members have reported difficulty getting their cars into program mode. I had difficulty getting mine to enter program mode, as well. In my case, it was due to slack in the lock cable not allowing the key to turn the mechanism far enough to close the electrical contact. I removed the carpet from around the lock and manually pushed the lock mechanism against the contact 5 times within the 5 seconds and immediately got the program mode message on the DIC. You might try this to see if it solves your problem. If not, the dealer can program your fobs using a Tech II scan tool.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetteright
Several members have reported difficulty getting their cars into program mode. I had difficulty getting mine to enter program mode, as well. In my case, it was due to slack in the lock cable not allowing the key to turn the mechanism far enough to close the electrical contact. I removed the carpet from around the lock and manually pushed the lock mechanism against the contact 5 times within the 5 seconds and immediately got the program mode message on the DIC. You might try this to see if it solves your problem. If not, the dealer can program your fobs using a Tech II scan tool.
I can get into programming mode now. The issue now is that nothing happens when I insert the new FOB.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

You say above that you insert the new fob "key forward". It has to be inserted with the key end facing the rear of the car -- the lock/unlock buttons furthest forward -- and the buttons facing the passenger side. Or is that what you meant by "key forward"?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:14 PM
QWKSRT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CaryBob
You say above that you insert the new fob "key forward". It has to be inserted with the key end facing the rear of the car -- the lock/unlock buttons furthest forward -- and the buttons facing the passenger side. Or is that what you meant by "key forward"?
You nailed it. I was trying key end facing front. I tried it numerous ways but for some reason this time with key end facing to the rear, it finally worked.. I'm a happy guy and this forum rocks!

Get notified of new replies

To Problem: FOB Programming '07

Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by QWKSRT
You nailed it. I was trying key end facing front. I tried it numerous ways but for some reason this time with key end facing to the rear, it finally worked.. I'm a happy guy and this forum rocks!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Sometimes it's just the simple things. Good catch CaryBob.

And glad you got worked out QWKSRT.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

QWKSRT,
I just saw your post here. I'm glad everything worked out for you. And yes, this forum does rock!

Chevrolet Customer Service,
Justin

Quick Reply: Problem: FOB Programming '07