C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replica Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Replica Wheels

Has anyone that has bought replica wheels had any issuses with them? I'm thinking of buying a set and would like some feedback please. Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 09:30 AM
98vettered
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done it twice myself with my 2005 Vette then when I went with the 2011 GS I went that route.
I have had no issues with them.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the one thing you absolutely MUST do when buying any replica wheels...

Take the new wheels to a good shop and have them spun on a balancer to make sure they are straight BEFORE mounting any tires on them.

If you mount a tire on a new replica wheel and THEN find out you have a bad wheel, most vendors will blame the tire mounting process and will hang you out to dry.

These wheels are made overseas (China) and travel thousands of miles in shipping containers before they arrive in the US. The vendors re-selling them do NOT do any quality control checking on them. This is not to say they are junk...it's just that a bad wheel does find its way into the system on occasion. So just take this extra step so you don't get burned.

For what it's worth, most people here have had good experiences with replica wheels.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM
VetteNGT500
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel

Take the new wheels to a good shop and have them spun on a balancer to make sure they are straight BEFORE mounting any tires on them.

If you mount a tire on a new replica wheel and THEN find out you have a bad wheel, most vendors will blame the tire mounting process and will hang you out to dry.

These wheels are made overseas (China) and travel thousands of miles in shipping containers before they arrive in the US. The vendors re-selling them do NOT do any quality control checking on them. This is not to say they are junk...it's just that a bad wheel does find its way into the system on occasion. So just take this extra step so you don't get burned.

For what it's worth, most people here have had good experiences with replica wheels.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:05 AM
98vettered
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel

Good Advice
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
blackonblack2011
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are mine. They have seen 170 mph a few times with no problems. Plus i get compliments on pretty much a daily basis. Best 500 and change i have ever spent.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

On my C5 I had replica C6Z wheels and they were just fine and saw the Texas Mile at 190mph
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Tevroc98
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Thank Guys. I would have never thought to pre check runout.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You may also want to find out a couple other things: in the event there is an issue w. one or more wheels, who pays for the return shipping? who pays for shipping out the new wheel? who pays if this happens more than once? are you able to get a full refund if you aren't satisfied with the quality of the wheels? who pays for shipping all 4 back?

not to mention who pays for all that balancing with no tires on it...

just sayin'....
Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

They also tend to be heavier. I had a set on my car before and two wheels had chips on them out of the box and one was way out of round. I didn't mind the chips and I had a good tires shop balance the out or round wheel and I was good to go. I've upgraded since then but for the money you pay for the replicas you really can't complain. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:11 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I have a set of replica Z06 wheels and they are a bit heavier than OEM, but no issues. I actually had one of my OEM wheels that was slightly out of round, but I replaced it prior to getting the replica wheels.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:14 PM
SEVETGO
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had aftermarket replicas on my C-5 and cc-6 with absolutely no issues. I was undecided as to what style I really liked for my C-6 and ended up getting ZR-1 replicas and love them
Old 01-25-2012, 02:19 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I would be a little leery of high speeds on replicas....

....His car disintegrated when the wheel came apart at 170mph....
Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM
CWHPARTS
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

we sell tons of these. any complaint we have ever had has been resolved very quickly. normally about once or twice a year we get a call saying a wheel wont balance (we send them new wheel) the only other thing ive heard one guy had a prob with his valve stems leaking , but im pretty sure that had something to do with who ever was trying to install them.

i have a set of the zr1 replicas on mine. i beat the crap out of them no probs at all. i autocross, drag race , drift and have seen 190mph on several occasions.

http://www.corvettesofhouston.com/in...c1549832c220bc

Get notified of new replies

To Replica Wheels

Quick Reply: Replica Wheels