C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Grand Sport Calipers

So I am sitting in my garage staring at my grand sport sitting in the air on jack stands. I was contemplating sending Mike the calipers for powder coat to turn them z06 red. I was never really excited about the silver caliper color and it really just blends in with my silver paint. However now that the car is up in the air a big part of me is saying don't screw with them.

You guys ever get ready to do something and second guess it? Usually I just tear in and don't look back. Maybe I just need to up my meds?
Old 01-27-2012, 03:48 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

I have so little time to mess with my car that I often just do nothing. I bought powder coated (red) calipers from a different (back stabbing) forum vendor and it took me MONTHS to put them on because of my available time. I now have a ZR1 clutch that has been sitting for two months waiting for a chance to install.

If you have the time, go for it.

Life is short, up your meds too!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:49 PM
derty01
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go with red. I like the looks of red against silver. I will be doing this once I get the time. But, yes I have second guessed myself and usually regret it. I tend to try not to second guess myself now and just do it.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89gt
So I am sitting in my garage staring at my grand sport sitting in the air on jack stands. I was contemplating sending Mike the calipers for powder coat to turn them z06 red. I was never really excited about the silver caliper color and it really just blends in with my silver paint. However now that the car is up in the air a big part of me is saying don't screw with them.

You guys ever get ready to do something and second guess it? Usually I just tear in and don't look back. Maybe I just need to up my meds?
All the time - but the red will look great. Mike did mine in Crystal Red Metallic.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:57 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yellow dude,

red is typical vette color everyone goes with.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Red or nothing on my calipers, just not a yellow guy, that was my ex's color, now I associate that with spite.

Yeah, my wife is laughing because the car is up in the air with the wheels off and I came back into my office and just went back to work.

Last edited by Red89gt; 01-27-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM
rob62
Safety Car

Received 1,733 Likes on 874 Posts

I would prefer the red too.I"m not very mechanically inclined but if I had some step by step directions I"d tackle it
Old 01-27-2012, 04:23 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

I think my main hang up is it took me a long time to save for this car and I really don't like messing with it.

I am taking a ton of pictures and I will do a write up if I end up doing it. I travel a lot so I will have some time on my hands next week possibly.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 PM
snakeman56
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sent mine to Mike and I am so glad. I just love the way they look!!! Here are some pictures.

I did this over the Holidays. Took me 1 day to install them. Just remember to use rubber cone shaped plugs to keep the fluid from leaking out on each of the brake fluid lines. I found them in Lowes!! If you want I will mail the ones I used and you can send them back when you finish, if you don't find them.

Don't forget the get new crush washers 2 per caliper!, I got mine from Oreillys Auto part store.

If you have any questions just ask away!!

Tom

When they arrived

Rear

Front

Painted Rotor Cap!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
robforster
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went a non purist way and put red caliper covers on it (Silver '10 GS). All say in a big club where I live they look terrific and 1/4 the cost and original calipers unchanged. While at it put Carbotech single piece pads to rid me of dust forever. Now drive daily and dust off maybe every 4 weeks. Use the Calif. mini brush-takes 2 minutes. Seal chrome with Reflex first. New light weight wheel balancers (non lead) are generally taller and may hit the cover--find someone with a supply of lead weights willing to use them. Yep, lead is toxic to roads in California. Cool-aid aplenty.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:53 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Take them off, only takes about 20 minutes and send them off. You will have them back in about a week,
Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Snake man. Thanks stand up of you to offer. For the heck of it do you have a receipt with the sku for those plugs?
I have m10 like mike suggested and I have some vacuum Plugs I think will work if the bolts don't. But if I pull them tonight and the are leakin tomorrow morning I can grab some from lowes on way to ups store to ship.

I will be out if town sun thru fri and it would suck to come home to a mess.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Rapnrev
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike is the truth, he did mine in DSOM perfect color match! Go For It Dude!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:38 AM
snakeman56
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red89gt
Snake man. Thanks stand up of you to offer. For the heck of it do you have a receipt with the sku for those plugs?
I have m10 like mike suggested and I have some vacuum Plugs I think will work if the bolts don't. But if I pull them tonight and the are leakin tomorrow morning I can grab some from lowes on way to ups store to ship.

I will be out if town sun thru fri and it would suck to come home to a mess.
Sorry for getting back so late. I looked but could not find the receipt, but here are some pictures I took.

I hope this helps. I tried the M10 bolts and the used crush washers and it still leaked. You can use new ones but they are pricey. The plugs worked like a charm!!!!!!

Good Luck
Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Calipers

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Calipers