C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB radio for Vettes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

For your original question download the Waze app on your phone. It has been very accurate in reporting traffic, delays, construction and police and speed cameras. Very helpful for any highway driving

Was into fly fishing in the CB heyday so my handle was Royal Coachman. Lived in a suburb of Pittsburgh and there was a group of regulars chatting in the evenings. Even had a few meet and greets including one at a roller skate place.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:35 PM
K7MXE
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I was in a convoy of sorts with myself in a pickup and trailer and my buddy in my c4. I had rigged a emergency radio in the c4 and its was good for two blocks tops. He could hear the truckers if they were on his bumper and that was about it. Without metal there is no good what they call a "ground plane."
Some folks have luck using the rear license plate as a ground plane and wires inside the tail light area that are 8 feet long for the cb band.
Not the best but range would be better than two blocks. Knowing what I know now I would not bother with a cb in a Corvette. One persons view. There are others no doubt.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 PM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been thinking about an antenna for a Corvette, I remember, back in the '90s I think it was Jim Weir (sp?) in Kit Planes did an article, or series on building your own antenna out of copper foil tape (I've seen it at hobby and craft stores, it's used with stained glass).

He had several designs, including some for composite aircraft for use without a ground plane ( 7/4 wave IIRC) and the formula to figure out what length of tape you needed for a given frequency range.

I see lots of articles out there now for that, but as a fractal array.

I was looking for a straight line type, thinking I could maybe sandwich it inside the bodywork aft of a T top, but above the rollover structure.

Anyone try that, or heard of it?

It seems like a better option, to me, as an external antenna tends to draw the eye.

Does anyone know of a CB with Bluetooth so I could listen to it or speak through it via the cell phone hands free in the car?

At that point all I would need is a PTT.

As for warning of road hazards, I've found Waze to be invaluable, both here, and in the South 48.

Last edited by Nexxussian; 10-13-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: moved ptt statement
Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Here are some "closer-up" shots of the mount and the antenna mounted

Maybe I missed it in a previous post, but what is the second smaller antenna for, ham?
Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
Maybe I missed it in a previous post, but what is the second smaller antenna for, ham?
Yup, that is a dual band (VHF/UHF) antenna.

I sold my C6 3 years ago and moved everything over to me C7
Attached Images    
Old 10-16-2017, 01:00 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Yup, that is a dual band (VHF/UHF) antenna.

I sold my C6 3 years ago and moved everything over to me C7
You can also use a glass mount on hatchback window on Corvette for CB, scanner but for CB it might have a very limited range. But it does work great for scanner reception.

Quick Reply: CB radio for Vettes?