C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken lower radiator support bracket

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:13 PM
shelleygraham
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Broken lower radiator support bracket

When turning or going over a high spot in road I hear metal scraping underneath drivers side. I looked underneath and there is something metal all scraped up. The dealer said it was a metal strap and they "put it back up". What is this metal piece and does the lower radiator support bracket hold this in place ? I was told by someone else the lower radiator support bracket is broke. The dealer didnt see this they just put back the metal strap !
Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by shelleygraham
When turning or going over a high spot in road I hear metal scraping underneath drivers side. I looked underneath and there is something metal all scraped up. The dealer said it was a metal strap and they "put it back up". What is this metal piece and does the lower radiator support bracket hold this in place ? I was told by someone else the lower radiator support bracket is broke. The dealer didnt see this they just put back the metal strap !
Do you happen to have a picture you could post? It appears you are correct because the only metal piece (black,about 1'x1" in diameter) that extends below the front bumper cover is the lower rad support. If that's the case, your dealer doesn't care or is a dumb a$$.

Driving with a broken rad support, especially on the passenger side, can cause the radiator to drop just enough and rest on the lower tranny fluid line that routes to the radiator for cooling (if so equipped). This often results in a cracked line, leaking tranny fluid and possibly tranny damage (no low tranny fluid message will display on dic btw). Least case, it's a huge pia changing the hard line.

Post a pic or get someone knowlegable to look at it.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:22 PM
Mark257wm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ran into the same issue, only thing is, I just bought the car, first corvette and only second car I’ve ever owned. And learned a valuable lesson. Luckily I like tinkering with cars and there’s YouTube, was able to remove and took to a busy to have welded. As soon as paint dry sill reinstall.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:26 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shelleygraham
have you been love tapping parking concrete blocks?

If so, the lower radiator support is raped.
It's made out of aluminum for weight purposes so it is very weak.

Option 1, slightly damaged, have an aluminum brazer fix it. $1-300.
Option 2, beyond recovery, replace support $300-600.

I replaced mine myself, found one for ~$300.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:40 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

This thread is over 6 years old.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:47 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
This thread is over 6 years old.
lmfao why would someone bring this up... i didnt even check the dates
Old 08-04-2018, 11:12 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by nick14003
lmfao why would someone bring this up... i didnt even check the dates
Because EV likes short answers...
Old 08-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Mark257wm
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because they have nothing better to do. Haha! I’ve gotten good information from old blogs

Get notified of new replies

To Broken lower radiator support bracket

Quick Reply: Broken lower radiator support bracket