C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Part two on "Horses' Patoots" on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Andydp
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Part two on "Horses' Patoots" on the highway

We're all in agreement that there's a lot of horses a$$es out on the roads.

My question is, do you think some of these people act stupid because you're in a Corvette and they want to show off what they and their car can do ?

Some examples:

Start to pace you even if you're doing the average speed for the area.

Act like they want to race ?

Or, to give them the benefit of a doubt, do they just want to look at your car ?

I'm sure there's more incident and, in all honesty, its likely a "feeling" you might have rather that actual intent on their part.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,944 Likes on 4,819 Posts

Most are looking for you to put on a free show of the Corvette power.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 PM
b0xm0ns73r
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think some of it is solely because they are boneheads.
But I do feel that some of the boneheadedness that I have seen when I am driving the Vette I wouldn't have seen if I were driving my FJ Cruiser.

For instance, a few months back I had a dude in an old beat up Ford pickup try to pass me and almost run me over on an I-25 onramp in Pueblo, CO. If I would have been in the Toyota, I don't think I would have seen that. He had to really get in it to try and come around me too.

Last edited by b0xm0ns73r; 02-03-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: I can't speell for chit
Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Foxer55
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm begiining to notice that people seem to tailgate me more in the Vette than in my DD.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:45 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just let it go.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,477 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by RO55
Just let it go.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 AM
redls3
Pro

yep this stuff has been happening to me lately alot also. the other day i watched a a guy in a bmw 135 break a sweat weaving in and out of traffic to catch up to me in stop and go traffic in NYC, he finally pulled up next to me at the next light and gives a nod and says lets go. I nod my head and laugh at him and tell him he has no chance in hell while I notice a parked NYPD police officer ahead. He floors it and accelerates hard for about 500 feet until the NYPD officer parked ahead notices and pulls him over to the side.

its always someone with a infiniti g35, bmw 3 series or some other cars in the 300 horsepower range that think they have the fastest cars on the road and can beat anyone
Old 02-04-2012, 02:25 AM
myr4ste8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, my black Vette seems to attract a lot of attention, some good, some bad, and a lot of yahoos that want to take me on. I've had guys in small Japanese cars revving their 4-banger engines beside me and yelling at me to race 'em. Having the NPP w/M2W, I gave 'em what they wanted... a couple of revs of american muscle and a big smile. Once they heard the exhaust, they'd back off a bit and smile back .

A late model Mustang tailgated me really close while I was driving at normal speed on a two lane boulevard. He didn't want to pass me... just stayed back and pushed real close. I knew what he wanted He was so close I was sure he was going to end up hitting my car. This got my adrenaline pumping, but I refused to floor it. Last thing I want is to get caught street racing. I know what my car can do and I don't need to race against an a...hole on a city street to prove it. So he eventually gave up and passed me. He looked flustered...

Vettes are kind of a rare breed here in Canada, so they do attract a lot of attention, and jerks will want to test you. But if you eliminate the boneheads, I have to admit that it's fun watching people turn their heads when you drive by, or give you the thumbs up or lower their car window just to tell you "Really nice car, man". I work hard to pay for my Vette, and the C6 is a great looking car that I'm proud to own, so I do like showing it off... I just don't like other people testing me.

So, enjoy the positive attention you're getting with your Vette, and maybe safely show off a bit once in a while. Just don't get sucked in with the jerks who want to race you. It's not worth it...
Old 02-04-2012, 03:52 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 309 Likes on 199 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

So, enjoy the positive attention you're getting with your Vette, and maybe safely show off a bit once in a while. Just don't get sucked in with the jerks who want to race you. It's not worth it...[/QUOTE]

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 AM
KarrMar
KarrMar
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foxer55
I'm begiining to notice that people seem to tailgate me more in the Vette than in my DD.
Only had my Vette for a month and have noticed that as well.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Just let it go.
I certainly don't care what people do as long as they don't injure me, my car, or someone else.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Just let it go.

Those are 4 little words that go a long way.....well said!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:24 AM
DJSpeece
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in semi-rural Maryland I notice the biggest problem is with pickup trucks when driving around town even above the posted speed limit -- young guys usually. Otherwise, I have been pleasantly surprised with the respect that the car engenders -- minor things, really, like people using turn signals when entering my lane ahead of me, letting me enter traffic when leaving a gas station, etc. I had previously driven a PT Cruiser and that was a car that was really disresepected and tended to bring out the worst in other drivers .
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I have encountered many on both ends of the spectrum. When I encounter the idiots at the negative end I usually manage to "let it go" as suggested above. The ones that bug me the most are the damn tailgaters. But, I have also encountered a lot of folks on the far opposite end that are awed by the car. There have many times when drivers have noticed the unmistakable aggressive Corvette front end in their rear-view, knowing I am out for some spirited driving fun, and have cheerfully pulled over to let me pass in a no passing zone that we were in. I always toot, wave or thumbs up in appreciative acknowledgement.

I think the "goods" have outnumbered the "bads" but it seems the be the bad ones we remember most.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

A lot of the boneheads are in vettes ..... it's not just the people around them. Lets face it, the vette has a lot of old people who drive slow and dilly-dally going down the road.

Maybe that car tailgating you only wants to get around you?

In 5 years I have only been challenged 3 times

1. An older guy in a C3

2. A 30ish guy in a Mustake

3. HS kid with a fart can

The problem I have is people cutting me off. They usually merge in front of me, or turn in front of me. It's like they don't see me there.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,032 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I find this true, I think because the back end is so short it makes it even more noticeable.

I turn the other cheek, look the other way and do all I can to avoid boneheads/road rage.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM
ehb5150
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Horses *sses on the highway

Several months ago, I had some kid pull up next at a traffic light to me in an Acura Integra with one of those sewer pipe mufflers on it. He started revving his engine and goosing the throttle, When the light turned green, he took off as fast as his POS would go. Knowing where the cops are in this area (Did I mention that I'm a cop?), I wasn't too concerned. About two miles down the road, he and one of my 'brothers' were having a 'chat'. I came to find out later that the chat came with a "certificate of speed" Made my day!

Get notified of new replies

To Part two on "Horses' Patoots" on the highway

Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM
AeroJim
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

me too, nobody cares about me and my pickup truck but when I'm in the Vette it seems all the *******s come out.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Mikev078
Drifting

That just happened to me last night on my way home. Going down the highway minding my own business. Then all of a sudden, a Psion goes barreling past me and revs right at my door, lol. I couldn't help but laugh my *** off...
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Now that my vette is my DD, this stuff happens almost daily, tailgaters, race ready soccer vans, the oversized lifted 4x4 trucks and yes, lets not forget the fart can imports, I agree that when Im in my lifted 4x4 I only get a few idiots attention, but when driving the vette, they all seem to be on the road at the same time. I have used the right pedal to disengauge at times hey s--t happens I'm not perfect, but most of the time I slow way down and watch as they pass, I'm always amazed to see that most here are women, (tailgaters) not necessarily impressed with the vette, just in a hurry, I watch as they pass me than clamp on to the next car...... so much for thinking that the person tailgating wanted to race I do agree the best solution is to take a breath and let them by, with age comes wisdom,

when I was a lot younger I often wondered if there was a way to hold and store ice spikes, works the same as marbles and ball bearings only they would melt before anyones the wiser.....I'm glad I don't think this way today,
Where'd I see that e-bay add for the mini freezer,

Quick Reply: Part two on "Horses' Patoots" on the highway