C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MT Grand Sport vs. 911 S

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

i could not read through all of this, but I remember C&D used to love to compare cheap American cars to expensive competitive Euro cars, and tweaked the Euros for underperforming and overcharging. They would, of course, always admit that you get what you pay for in terms of fit, finish, high-quality materials, etc.

And so it goes. If MT compared a BMW 3-series to a Hyundai Genesis Coupe, I suspect the same outcome would hold as the GS - 911S comparo. And the Genesis owners would rightly wonder why anyone would compare the $40K vehicle to the $25K vehicle. Well, just to show what you do get for your extra $15K. From the perspective of the Genesis buyer, the extra $15K is just not worth it.

BTW, we should agree looks are subjective and not get uptight about that. Back in the 70's I loved the simple and purposeful look of the 911 and thought the C3 was an absolute joke of lumps, bumps and scoops. Well, that was my opinion. To an extent still is. But, I drive a C5 (perhaps the cleanest-looking Vette IMHO since the '55) largely because the competive used Porsche would have cost 50% more to own and 100% more to maintain --- and the similarly priced used Porsche would have been slow and beat instead of fast and clean.

I still like the looks of the '64 911 a tiny bit more than the C2 Vette and a lot more than the C3. Don't shoot me; it really doesn't matter what I like except to me and my wife.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:25 PM
65 Hardnoks
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven a C6 and can't say I felt like I was sitting ON the seat. I remember sitting IN a very nice seat. I have rode in a 996 and I did feel like I was sitting ON that hard uncomfortable pos seat. Never been in a 997 yet.

Quick Reply: MT Grand Sport vs. 911 S