C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield protection

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:43 AM
JPJR
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Windshield protection

OK, I've done my searches, and I've read up on what everyone's had to say about clear bras for the windshield.

Got a small chip in my windshield Monday night.
Very small, but right in my line of sight.
Bugging the heck out of me.
Tech from the glass company came to look at it, it's too small for them to repair.
Since it's in my line of sight, they will replace.

I know it gets done all the time, but this ain't like changing the oil.
Even though my deductible on glass is $0, I'd rather not have to do this frequently.
I drive carefully, but **** happens.

So, to the point.
I called a local shop that does clear bra installs.
I've seen his work at the last Cars and Coffee, and it was very good.
I asked him about windshield films.
Here's his reply...
None of the films I've seen hold up against the wipers. If you use them often, it only lasts about 9 months before it shows streaks. The scratch resistant coating gets rubbed off by the wipers. It won't scratch from cleaning, but constant wiping from blades will. That being said, I've never had anyone complain about the film, when they know what to expect. It's just assurance that you dont have to replace your windshield or get it repaired. I've seen race cars where glass is broken on the inside from a rock, and the outside is free of damage ceause of the film. So it wont stop everything.

$200 for him to install his protection film, which is specifically for this application.
He'd install the Clearplex film, if I bought it, for $60

I think I'm going to try it out.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
mtrainer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the car (2010 GS) down in St. Louis last year...same thing happened when an 18 wheeler threw a rock at my car. Considering the noise it made I'm surprised the whole windshield didn't go. But it is a tiny chip, so I took it to a glass dealer here locally and they said it was to small to bother fixing. Like you, it is out of my line of sight and now I don't even think about it anymore.

You may want to consider doing nothing.

Mark
Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by JPJR
OK, I've done my searches, and I've read up on what everyone's had to say about clear bras for the windshield.

Tech from the glass company came to look at it, it's too small for them to repair.

Even though my deductible on glass is $0, I'd rather not have to do this frequently.

So, to the point.
Here's his reply...
None of the films I've seen hold up against the wipers. If you use them often, it only lasts about 9 months before it shows streaks. The scratch resistant coating gets rubbed off by the wipers. It won't scratch from cleaning, but constant wiping from blades will. That being said, I've never had anyone complain about the film, when they know what to expect. It's just assurance that you dont have to replace your windshield or get it repaired. I've seen race cars where glass is broken on the inside from a rock, and the outside is free of damage ceause of the film. So it wont stop everything.

$200 for him to install his protection film, which is specifically for this application.

I notice too in my Corvette I get more pits in windshield than my other cars. It's just the price you pay for driving a car that's lower to the ground just like having to watch out for cement curbs that will take out your front plate / spoiler. Same goes for scratching front / radiator supports on driveways or dips in the road. Or having your oil pan get smacked. This makes me want a muscle car as my next car a performance car that has more ground clearance.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

If it makes you feel better, spend the money knowing it will not last as the installer explained to you.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be a good idea if you disconnect your wipers so you don't accidentally turn them on, especially if the windshield is dirty!! Obviously no driving in the rain then!!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JJC5
I think it would be a good idea if you disconnect your wipers so you don't accidentally turn them on, especially if the windshield is dirty!! Obviously no driving in the rain then!!
What about just using Rain X?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

So, to the point.
Here's his reply...

It really doesn't happen all that often. In the last 20 years I have had two windshields replaced. Both were replaced due to cracking not chips. One on a truck and one on my C5Z (which was my fault).

Bill
Old 02-09-2012, 01:00 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Most problems are with pitted windshields.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
After 4 or 5 years, windshields look like they have been sandblasted when you are looking from inside to out when the sun angle is just right. Over the past 11 years, I have only had two serious rock hits and both of those in the past half year. One good size hit the new ZR1 near the right A-pillar and cracked the windshield 6" before I could get it repaired. I replaced an essentially virgin windshield. Got another hit in the past couple of months on the 07 vert on the left side top and out of view from inside. The crater looks stable so I am going to do nothing. If a another rock causes me to replace, then no big loss as it is a 5+ year old windshield already blasted.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GOLD72
After 4 or 5 years, windshields look like they have been sandblasted when you are looking from inside to out when the sun angle is just right. Over the past 11 years, I have only had two serious rock hits and both of those in the past half year. One good size hit the new ZR1 near the right A-pillar and cracked the windshield 6" before I could get it repaired. I replaced an essentially virgin windshield. Got another hit in the past couple of months on the 07 vert on the left side top and out of view from inside. The crater looks stable so I am going to do nothing. If a another rock causes me to replace, then no big loss as it is a 5+ year old windshield already blasted.
The only problem with the pitted windshield is that if you live where it rains alot or drive your car in rain the wipers will skip. One time with another car I had I tried Bon Amoni? in an attempt to buff off pits from windshield.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:01 PM
JPJR
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It really doesn't happen all that often. In the last 20 years I have had two windshields replaced. Both were replaced due to cracking not chips. One on a truck and one on my C5Z (which was my fault).

Bill
Good point.
In my 26 years of driving, this was the first chip that hit squarely in my line of sight.
Most usually happen in the corners, or somewhere else I can forget about after a while.

I'm doubting the film now.
$200 for something that WILL need replacement at least once a year? (mine's a DD, and the wipers do get used)

Would Rain-X keep the windshield slick enough that a rock might glance off without digging in?
Would just waxing the windshield do the same thing?
Old 02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
JPJR
Pro

What about just using Rain X?
Ahhh, now I see what you are saying.
With Rain X I wouldn't need the wipers at all!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:10 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Ahhh, now I see what you are saying.
With Rain X I wouldn't need the wipers at all!
Exactly it works for me but I do not know the severity of the weather you get where you are.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Didn't have the problem with my 2005 after 36000 miles. My 2009 is pitted after 15000 miles. Wish a big ol' rock would hit it so I can get it replaced. It's like the glass is of poorer quality. Just one of the joys of Corvette ownership, I guess. Once I get some new tires I'm gonna run the stuff out of it and probably mess up the windshield even moreeddie
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clearplex doesnt last very long. I have tried it before and didnt have very good results. There is a better film out there called Diamond Fusion (make sure to spell it with a d at the end) and a company called Premier Mobile in California is promoting it. I have tried some of it and had great results. The wipers didnt hurt it at all. Now what did the damage was the high pressure hose at the car wash. I guess it got too close and start flecking the top coat off. Up until that point I thought the film was a great idea. I dont install either any more but would recommend the Daimond Fusion film over Clearplex any day. Much more durable. Also it is installed differently than clear bras. It is heat formed to the glass like tint.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by crazyeddie
Didn't have the problem with my 2005 after 36000 miles. My 2009 is pitted after 15000 miles. Wish a big ol' rock would hit it so I can get it replaced. It's like the glass is of poorer quality. Just one of the joys of Corvette ownership, I guess. Once I get some new tires I'm gonna run the stuff out of it and probably mess up the windshield even moreeddie
If you had HUD in your windshield the replacement will cost more but insurance should cover it.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

corvette have a very soft glass compare to other cars. A nice tap with a hammer and Insurance gets you a new one. Don't ask how I know this,

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield protection

Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 PM
jeffanitam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hud

Nubby, what is HUD?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like my car has been through multiple NASCAR events...the desert is tough on cars, too many small indents/pepperings and a couple of larger ones but not really replaceable yet, waiting for a major ding to replace. If it does get replaced I will go with a protection/tint deal.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

I was told to use Bon Amoni to might help with pitted windshields but it didn't work in my case. On the car I had with pitted windshield I only had to replace windshield once in 23 years I have owned it and that was because a rock hit windshield right in my line of sight. At least that got rid of the pits for awhile when insurance put in new windshield.

Quick Reply: Windshield protection