C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Agony of the "DEAL"

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Email 10 to 20 dealers with the exact car you want.

Take the top three best prices and follow up with the second and third place dealer.
See if they will beat the lowest price place.

Go buy your car.

Done.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

Call Tommy at MacMulkin. Best buying experience of my life. Great prices, great service, and great follow-up. When is the last time you purhased a vehicle and had NO doc fee.

You are dealing with the family who owns the dealership, so he's not going to show up somewhere else, next month.

And, he is interested in a long term investment with his clients.

I am not alone, do a search for MacMulkin and you will see what I mean.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

If you ordered your car through forum dealer MacMulkin and dealt with Tommy Jr. I guarantee that it would have been a completely enjoyable experience.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

For those talking about Forum dealers and phone call deals.

I got the best quote from the internet and called a local dealer. He agreed that they could match the price.

I went in and ordered the car, again with dealer agreeing on the price, BUT the dealer refused to put anything on paper stating they did not know what the GM money-back offers would be as the car was to be delivered after the current offers expired, but if the same the price would be honored.

The car came in and the salesman handed me a sales contract with a price $1000 over the agreed upon price, stating that there were no GM current offers. I handed the sales person a copy of the current offers (same as at the time of the order) and off he went to the sales manager (the dealership has 2 sales managers, the one that agreed upon the original price, was conveniently absent). Back the salesman came with the original price marked out and RAISED $1000 (now $2000 over the agreed upon price) and then offered to reduce the price by $1500. Still $500 over the verbally agreed upon price. The sales manager present said he had no idea why the other manager agreed upon the price but he would not honor it.

What a bait and switch!!!!!!!!

You guessed it, my stupidity in trusting a dealership to be honest. Never again!!!!

Sorry guys but car sales persons and managers rank just barely above politicians in my book of liars, cheats, and persons of whose mothers are of canine ancestry.

George
Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Tarl
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, I don't really like Car Salesmen (or women) and the tactics they use. I'm still shopping for my Vette...but I'm sure we've experienced this with any car we have bought.

I remember back in Dec 2009 when I was buying my 2010 Camaro there were none on the showrooms and you had to order them special. I ordered one and they tried to automaticially mark up the price by $2000 on top of what we agreed to. They told me it was a "mandatory markup, since the cars were in demand." I told them to remove it or I'm walking and they did remove it.

About 6 months later I had agreed upon a deal to buy a limited edition Indy PACE car version of the Camaro (the orange one with white stripes). They gave me a fantastic trade in offer on my current car and we were signing the papers and I was mere minutes from driving away with the PACE car. At the last possible moment she came in nodding her head saying, "We gave you too much for you car, that deal was good yesterday, this is the deal today." The final difference was only about $800. I told them we are done, give me my car keys (they had already driven my car away to the back) and we left with the worst taste in our mouths about this dealership.

Could I have afforded the $800, sure but it was the principle of the deal. We had agreed upon it and I thought were done, but they changed it up which pissed me off.

No regrets, because now I should be in a C6 any day now.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:54 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

My Vette buying experience online through Reliable was a breeze
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JLargo
I might be in the minority, but I love the whole process. I just do my research before hand so I know where I stand and then game on. I always say the main thing you have to do is be able to walk away.
I agree completely. I love the power of being the customer. I don't mind walking and tell the salesman up front that I don't care if I buy from him or not. They can make my deal or I will go somewhere else.
Take the emotion out of it, don't be afraid to tell them they are nuts and always know they will meet your price if its realistic. Dealers are making money no matter what. Don't let them tell you they aren't.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

I have no problems buying a new Vehicle. For over 30 years, I bought one every year, one for my wife then the following year, one for me. The Corvette was always a 5+ year keeper.

I did the research before I walked in, knew exactly what model and options I wanted and also the price I was willing to pay. Actually thought it was fun. Like already said, if I did not like the "Deal", I would walk out. I always went to my preferred dealer last

Now with the Internet, car buying is much simpler. Check the price on the internet, call the dealer, do some phone haggling, then either go see the dealer or call another one.

One thing I will say. Small dealerships seem to want top dollar on every car they sell where the larger ones want to sell volume and is willing to sell for less.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Bobbyosto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not every salesperson is a dick and not every dealer is a ripoff artist. Do some home work on dealers also and you might find one that you would enjoy dealing with. It's a major purchase in your life; it can be enjoyable. I've found a great dealer with a no pressure, knowledgeable salesperson, and it made by buying experience much more fun...
Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
jejuliff
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
If you ordered your car through forum dealer MacMulkin and dealt with Tommy Jr. I guarantee that it would have been a completely enjoyable experience.
No question, the best car purchase experience of my life!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like others have said; do your internet homework. I wanted to buy local in case I had a REAL warranty problem (never did), but I wanted a better price. I sold my current vehicle, so no trade in. I also had an online price (delivered to my door) from a giant Corvette seller for the exact model I wanted. I located the SAME one in stock at the local dealer @ their website. I went in and told them the price I can get the car for online and that I had bought my '01 Z06 that way. So, if they wanted to sell their '08 to me for the same price as the internet seller, I would cut them a check on the spot.

Instead of waiting for the car carrier to deliver a car the next week, I drove my new one the 3 miles to our house. I actually saved $100 over the total out-of-state/delivery purchase price. Now this was for a car that the local dealer had on the lot, if I had to order the story could have been different.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 1,752 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Just remember, no matter what deal you get, the minute you roar off there will be one better Sometimes good service after the deal is worth that few bucks you saved going elsewhere.
Find one you can live with, go enjoy the car and don't look back
Old 02-13-2012, 11:30 AM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe your shopping at the wrong dealership.

Now I don't buy a new car every year but I haven't had a bad time on my last few purchases. I do my research before I even get near a dealership, no sense going in with an empty gun.

When I step onto a lot to look around, if a sales person comes over and asks if they can help I explain I'm just looking and will come find them if I need a question answered. If they try hanging around like a vulture that is my sign that it is time to find a different dealership.

When I found my GS at Boardwalk Chevrolet in Redwood City it was very straight forward and up front. They listed a price and stated what other discount would apply. Price was fair and dealings with the personnel when I picked up the car was very pleasant.

My prior car was not to be found so it was dealer order. Price was established and I picked it up when it was built and delivered to the dealer. I also bought my previous vehicle from them so that may have played a roll.

The trick is not to go in feeling like a victim before you contact the dealership and don't let them make you a victim either.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

OP..........where did you buy your car? I bought mine at Crain Chevy and they are the worst you could deal with..........service sux also!

there are no good deals at a stealership...........unless you're a big spender and paying cash.....they are out to get as much profit from you as they can.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
00vettefan
Instructor

Default I will never buy GM again!

Unfortuantely dealerships have to deal with past history. That history is often negative. Whether it is new or used; the past is always there. There are some good dealers, but there are many bad ones. The million dollar question is "can a dealership overcome the attached stigma of being in vehicle sales?" It is difficult to overcome the past!

I think if a dealer holds your keys of your trade and doesn't let you have them when you ask for them...they are holding you against your will and breaking the law. Call 911 and tell them that you are being held against your will. I bet your keys will be in your hands before the police arrive!

I DO NOT look forward to buying a new vehicle again. I have bought 22 new vehicles ( 20 GM ) in my lifetime and 12 used. I do know that my current corvette will be my last and my wife's 2011 Equinox will be my last new GM. I have let GM wrong me for the last time. I will soon be moving from this forum to NISSAN. I know Nissan is unAmerican, but I have made my decision and I will NEVER buy GM again. It is a matter of principle!

I have absolutely NO TRUST in GM and their warranties!
Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert
Just remember, no matter what deal you get, the minute you roar off there will be one better Find one you can live with, go enjoy the car and don't look back
You are so right on that. DON'T SHOP THE NET AFTER YOU HAVE BOUGHT!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
DJSpeece
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like a couple of others here, I enjoy the negotiation process overall; fortunately, my two car purchases in 2010 were quite painless -- surprisingly so -- at Criswell Chevy, Gaithersburg MD. The sales staff seem to appreciate a knowledgeable buyer, and layoff the hard sell. I negotiated a price for my 2010 1LT in less than 10 minutes. I bought an Equinox from him as well about 9 months later and that took about 15 minutes and in both cases I felt as though I got a smokin' deal. Even the gentleman in the Finance Department didn't push the add-ons too hard -- and once he heard "No thank you" he moved on to the next step in the process. I was prepared to use a forum vendor if the encounter turned difficult (although this was never mentioned in the negotiation) but I prefer to spend my money locally if possible. I'm sorry you had such a negative experience and I hope you can get past it and enjoy your wonderful new car!

Last edited by DJSpeece; 02-13-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Getting the purchase year corrected --sheeze!

Get notified of new replies

To The Agony of the "DEAL"

Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,982 Likes on 5,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Travelor
Love my new 2012 GS Coupe, BUT I hate to dealer experience we all go through each time we deal with a dealer!

I am sure we have discussed this but I just hate the buying experience each time I purchase a vehicle. It seems that no matter what "deal" you make it is always a hassle and you leave with an awful taste in your mouth that you have been scammed by the dealer sales staff.

My father was a Office Manager for a Chevrolet dealership for many years. He always told me that if they could sell cars all day long for dealer "cost" they would make a fortune due to dealer incentives/rollbacks, etc.

Saturn offered a no hassle purchase price as do most retail sales of merchandise. Somewhere in the past the "deal" became a part of car buying. It seems no matter what you end up paying, it always feels as if you were screwed. It would really be nice to go to a dealer, pay a set price with a reasonable profit and drive away feeling as if you were not scammed.

Is this just am American "tradition" to have to haggle over the cost of a car or is it just a real PITA way to scam customers while making a profit at the expense of the customer?

The back and forth journeys of the salesman to the sales manager is just a game! The sales team is there to sell cars at the best possible profit for the dealer and uses this method to squeeze the customer for all they can get.

Why do you think the salesman wants your car keys when you come to a dealer????? To get a appraisal on your car or make you feel as if the deal has already been made and the issue is just how much are you going to pay?

Now I feel better.

George
Just because you are used to going to stores and and buying your food and goods at a set price doesn't mean those things were always non-negotiable. It used to be that you negotiated for everything not just your house and your car. If you had experience in negotiating more things you would actually enjoy the negotiation since there is a definite challenge in doing a good job. By the way the only time the Saturn deal was non negotiable was when you didn't have a trade in. If you had a trade in the whole thing was a big negotiation.

If you have done your research and know the costs you are an informed Customer who has a big advantage over the dealer. You don't have to buy the car but he has to sell it. So let them tell you the price, you make a reasonable offer and then keep your mouth shut. If need be walk away. You may listen to their sales pitch and reasons why they can't do something but that doesn't mean you have to hear it. Stick to your guns and as long as you have a reasonable offer on the table it will be taken.

One time when I was in Tijuana with a person familiar with negotiations he showed me how it was done. We were looking at a very nice leather jacket and the store owner said the price was XXXX my friend said "Oh, no you misunderstood me. I only want one not three." The haggling began and we all had fun. At one point we walked away from the store and the owner came running after us with a better offer. My friend got the coat for less than 50% of what the seller initially said.

Bill
Old 02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
Call Tommy at MacMulkin. Best buying experience of my life. Great prices, great service, and great follow-up. When is the last time you purhased a vehicle and had NO doc fee.

You are dealing with the family who owns the dealership, so he's not going to show up somewhere else, next month.

And, he is interested in a long term investment with his clients.

I am not alone, do a search for MacMulkin and you will see what I mean.
Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE

Best price, No BS, No hassle, No Hidden Fees.
Just simply the fastest and extremely pleasant transaction ever.
Can't say enough about how great it is/was to deal with Tommy Jr in every way
Old 02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
GREENTAHOE
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 08crm
If you think Saturn's no haggle pricing was a good deal,think again.As for the rest of it.I often wonder why people don't treat everything else they buy with the same disdain.When you go buy milk,you better call the farmer and haggle because there is most definitely a profit in there and advertising fees too!How about clothes??Probably 1000% markup but I don't hear anybody complaining there.Why?Oh wait,because the store offers a 50% discount??Well,that's still a boatload of profit!How about Jewelery?Now that's a real profit maker!Kay Jewelers??70% off?Yea ok.There's another 1000% markup!Cars will last you 20 years + if you treat them right.How much is the cost per year after that time?? According to some around here,all dealers are the devil incarnate and should burn in hell if there is such a place.Yet,when one of you wants to sell there car on this forum or elsewhere,all of a sudden it becomes the best thing since sliced bread and that's why it commands top dollar!!Yea,ok.Dealers have every right to turn a profit,and as much profit as they can!That's the idea of being in Business!You go to work,expect to make what you should make without question.How about everybody eat all the expenses from your cost of doing business as you would have dealers do and then charge your customers.You wouldn't like it very much I bet,nor would you survive for very long.Holdback and all that pays dealer lot fees for all those nice shiny cars sitting around.That stuff doesn't sit there and collect dust for free.The emplyees have to eat too.But hey,why not start your own dealership and sell all the cars you want at a loss or for what you have into them??Yea,that's the ticket.You don't need to make a profit! oh and With all this internet crap about the cost of cars out there,there should be no more agony.Do your research and go buy a car.SIMPLE.
I agree here 100%. We are scammed way more than this by groceries, gas, insurance, ridiculous and redundant taxes. Id rather a hard working car salesman feed his family than a lying criminal politician using the money to buy a third Bentley.

Last edited by GREENTAHOE; 02-13-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Quick Reply: The Agony of the "DEAL"