C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked out of car. Thanks valet!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 AM
The_Tibulator
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
While its certainly the Valet's "fault". There is no way I would have traveled with this car without first knowing exactly how the keyless entry system works.. and without having a SPARE/PHYSICAL key.

I just did my own lil Xmas/NYE vacation down to Florida for over a week.. and I made sure to bring along my second keyless FOB and a spare physical key in my "carry-on" luggage. (For the exact same reasons.. I also bring my Passport & an emergency credit card in case my wallet gets lost/stolen). I also decided since I was going to be on such a long roadtrip to bring along my jump box (cost me $60 bucks at Costco) in case the battery died and I needed a jump. Lastly I simply dont trust the Valet parking my Vette.. I'll always look for an option to park it myself as the car is in showroom condition and I do my best to keep it that way.

Not trying to be harsh, but you've definitely learned a few lessons. Hopefully everything turns out well and you will continue to enjoy your vacation. And next time you'll bit better prepared.
Exactly! Lesson learned my friend. Not used to being locked out of a vehicle ever.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,045 Posts

I don't believe Onstar would help in this case, no power to the car.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to bust anyone's chops, but I seriously would like to know why do you separate the physical key from the key fob at all? Is the key fob different for '05 than for later models? I always keep the two connected together.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
wazslow
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
While its certainly the Valet's "fault". There is no way I would have traveled with this car without first knowing exactly how the keyless entry system works.. and without having a SPARE/PHYSICAL key.

I just did my own lil Xmas/NYE vacation down to Florida for over a week.. and I made sure to bring along my second keyless FOB and a spare physical key in my "carry-on" luggage. (For the exact same reasons.. I also bring my Passport & an emergency credit card in case my wallet gets lost/stolen). I also decided since I was going to be on such a long roadtrip to bring along my jump box (cost me $60 bucks at Costco) in case the battery died and I needed a jump. Lastly I simply dont trust the Valet parking my Vette.. I'll always look for an option to park it myself as the car is in showroom condition and I do my best to keep it that way.

Not trying to be harsh, but you've definitely learned a few lessons. Hopefully everything turns out well and you will continue to enjoy your vacation. And next time you'll bit better prepared.
How is it the Valet's "fault'? They should know that an 05 Corvette needs to be parked in reverse?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by AV8ForFun
Not trying to bust anyone's chops, but I seriously would like to know why do you separate the physical key from the key fob at all? Is the key fob different for '05 than for later models? I always keep the two connected together.
Yes, the earlier FOBS are different. They don't "nest" a spare key.

OP, you might want to tape a spare key somewhere "secret" on your car. Maybe in a wheel well or under the car somewhere...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wazslow
How is it the Valet's "fault'? They should know that an 05 Corvette needs to be parked in reverse?
Thats why I said its the valet's "fault".. instead of saying "Its the Valet's fault!" To show extra emphasis that valet did not know any better and didnt intentionally park it that way. But it was his action that directly caused the car battery to drain.

Also because the attendant is responsible for parking the car, he is also responsible for ensuring its parked and the engine/electronics are OFF. Its pretty easy to notice (when the car is left in accessory mode) and you are exiting the car.. that vehicle is still very much turned ON! And that windows/HVAC/radio/dash are still light up and work. He might not have known how to get the car out of accessory mode, but he damn sure should have known it was still turned ON. A 3 year old would be able to look at the dash and tell its still on. At that point he should have then contacted the owner (or some resource) to find out how to properly turn the car OFF. The DIC even tells you to "Park the car in Reverse". So yes.. and attentive valet would have handled this situation much better.

In any case.. the owner should make sure to explain how to properly turn the car off and carry a physical key if using valet services.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 02-14-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY
...you might want to tape a spare key somewhere "secret" on your car. Maybe in a wheel well or under the car somewhere...
I keep a spare key in my wallet. Get extras for under $10 at a key shop... use key blank B-106 (same for a Saturn).

Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

If you dont know that you can open the truck with the key then you shouldnt be driving the car. LOL
If you don't know that trunk is spelled with an "n" than you shouldn't be commenting on a public forum, LOL!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AV8ForFun
I have an '05 and also keep the two connected together, I don't know why you would separate them....maybe OP is a new owner.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:00 PM
wazslow
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
If you don't know that trunk is spelled with an "n" than you shouldn't be commenting on a public forum, LOL!
Thanks, Spelling police! 95% of the threads on this forum are duplicates. If people would ever search, their questions would already be answered.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm thinking about going to St. Pete next month but guess what? I'm renting a car. For $150.00 a week, I'll let the rental get the wear, theft and tear.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:08 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, Spelling police! 95% of the threads on this forum are duplicates. If people would ever search, their questions would already be answered.
Understood but why break the guys *****, all the effort you put in busting them you could have just told the OP nicely...nothing personal, have a nice day!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:16 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NORTY
Yes, the earlier FOBS are different. They don't "nest" a spare key.

OP, you might want to tape a spare key somewhere "secret" on your car. Maybe in a wheel well or under the car somewhere...
Didn't know that the newer FOB's "nest" a key, my DD has that feature, nice. On my '05 I just keep the key attached to the loop on the FOB, a little bulky but no big deal!

Last edited by RobLo; 02-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 PM
DickM
Advanced

I've had this happen a couple of times. My favorite is the New Orleans episode. The valet went to get my car- 10 minutes later no car. At that point I looked around and spotted my car and knew where I would find the guy- "trapped" inside my car! HA!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an '05 and also keep the two connected together, I don't know why you would separate them....maybe OP is a new owner.
Actually, I would ask... Why would you keep the two together? If you have the fob and the batteries (fob and car) are charged, the key is useless. If either battery is dead the fob is useless. There is never an instance where the fob and the key would be needed at the same time, so keeping them together isn't necessary. But there are times when having the key separate is useful... Mainly when the fob has been thrown in the trunk with auto lock turned on.

Not having the key with the car or fob makes the least sense. Having the key available on the outside of the car (regardless of where the fob is) makes the most. There are plenty of places you can put the key so no one else can find it, but you can always get to it in an emergency. And even if anyone finds it, they can only open up the doors, so no big deal.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:17 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J Willis
I'm thinking about going to St. Pete next month but guess what? I'm renting a car. For $150.00 a week, I'll let the rental get the wear, theft and tear.
Personally I never think about wear and tear when I'm going for a drive... I only think about how much more fun the Vette is to drive!

(theft, or cargo capacity are another issue entirely...)
Old 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
abda53
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understood but why break the guys *****, all the effort you put in busting them you could have just told the OP nicely...
Where's the fun in that?

Get notified of new replies

To Locked out of car. Thanks valet!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Actually, I would ask... Why would you keep the two together? If you have the fob and the batteries (fob and car) are charged, the key is useless. If either battery is dead the fob is useless. There is never an instance where the fob and the key would be needed at the same time, so keeping them together isn't necessary. But there are times when having the key separate is useful... Mainly when the fob has been thrown in the trunk with auto lock turned on.

Not having the key with the car or fob makes the least sense. Having the key available on the outside of the car (regardless of where the fob is) makes the most. There are plenty of places you can put the key so no one else can find it, but you can always get to it in an emergency. And even if anyone finds it, they can only open up the doors, so no big deal.
I guess this makes sense.....but I never put the fob or key in the car, it's always in my pocket (together), if I approach the car and the fob battery is dead, at least I can get into the car with the key and place the fob in the receptacle in the glove compartment and get the car started...does that make sense? And I'm wondering, if you lock the fob in the car can you open the doors or hatch, the fob should be close enough to send a signal to open up the car.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

States it right on the display. You best hope then whenever you are looking for any kind of help, people are a lot nicer then you have been on this thread.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Tibulator
Staying at resort in Orlando and valet parked the car without putting it in reverse. So the battery died? Now they have to have it towed to the dealer.
If I ever leave my '05 MN6 with anyone I have and use the original 'Shift to Reverse' tag that came with the new car. It goes on the shifter with an elastic string. You should make one!

Welcome to our never ending world of dead batteries!

Quick Reply: Locked out of car. Thanks valet!