C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil smell after change

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Oil smell after change

I did a search but no joy.

I had my first oil change 100 miles ago and now smell oil anytime I stop after the engine warms up. I was present at the oil change and say ZERO spill and the tech even used a spray solvent to assure no oil around the drain plug or oil filter areas - then using high pressure air dried the areas. He used a large funnel when filling the engine with new oil and took care to assure no drops from the funnel when removing it.

I have done a visual inspection and found no oil residue under the hood or on the oil pan and saw no moist areas or and evidence of drips on the garage floor.

What next?

George
Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Good question. I have not had that issue. On had my third oil change on my 2010 yesterday afternoon. Prior to yesterday I have never notice even the faintest of smells after an oil change. After yesterdays oil change there is a very faint smell of oil burning. So faint within a day it will burn off.

I would guess somewhere there was some oil spilled that just did not get noticed and cleaned up. Probably in a spot that is difficult to see and therefore also to clean. Maybe after a few more miles of driving the smell decreases and eventually goes away.

Good luckc.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I have had this happen a few times with other cars albeit not with my Vette. I suspect it may be coming from where the filter seals to the block.

When installing the filter the seal needs a thin coat of oil on it to effect a good seal. There could be some oil on the sides of the seal that is burning off and giving you the smell.

I would not worry too much about it....just keep an eye on your oil level and look for droplets under the car after it has been parked.

I doubt it's anything serious.

Hope this helps,
John

PS: Hey Big Block...thats one heck of an Avitar!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Beezvette
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If it persists you might want to bring it back to the place that did the oil change, they may be able to see evidence of a slight leak that is burning off, from the filter or plug. The plug itself is very finnicky, very small o ring that makes the seal, too much or too little torque may create an issue.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:04 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by JKbride
...I suspect it may be coming from where the filter seals to the block...
Also when removing the old filter it is full of oil and tilting can spill a small amount on the block behind the filter. Keep checking the level and for spots but don't worry about it for the next 200 miles. If it still smells after that then there may actually be something that needs to be fixed.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:52 AM
statman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoCA Events Coordinator

Check to make sure the oil filler cap is on properly and snug. Also make sure the dipstick is seated properly.

Last edited by statman; 02-18-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Travelor
Pro

Thanks guys, I called the dealer this morning and they want it back in to check it. I think the idea of a slight bit of oil behind the filter sounds most reasonable.

Will be going in Tuesday morning.

George
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM
Spyder207
Advanced

Originally Posted by Travelor

I had my first oil change 100 miles ago and now smell oil anytime I stop after the engine warms up. I was present at the oil change and say ZERO spill and the tech even used a spray solvent to assure no oil around the drain plug or oil filter areas - then using high pressure air dried the areas. He used a large funnel when filling the engine with new oil and took care to assure no drops from the funnel when removing it.

I have done a visual inspection and found no oil residue under the hood or on the oil pan and saw no moist areas or and evidence of drips on the garage floor.

What next?

George
I had the same issue. No smell or issues until I let a certain dealer in Little Rock change my oil. Afterwards I had the burning oil smell and a leak from the oil pan. Which dealer are you letting work on yours? I'll be very surprised if you don't have the same "problem" I had.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,500 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

What next?

George
no smell in five years, some must have spilled somewhere if it started right after the oil change
Old 02-18-2012, 03:24 PM
g-townmach
Racer

They spilled a little. It will go away after a while. Do it yourself from now on and you won't have to wonder.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Thanks guys, I called the dealer this morning and they want it back in to check it. I think the idea of a slight bit of oil behind the filter sounds most reasonable.

Will be going in Tuesday morning.

George
George,

Any word from the dealer yet? If you would like me to follow up with your dealer feel free to PM me with your info.

I hope it was a quick fix!

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Old 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did they put in the right amount?
Too much perhaps?
Check the dipstick immediately.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Travelor
Pro

Default Results.........

First thing I did after smelling oil was a thorough visual inspection followed by checking the oil level with the dipstick and the level is fine. I also was standing next the the tech when he put 6 quarts of Mobile 1 in the engine.

Went in Tuesday morning. The dealer put the car up on a lift and did a very thorough (I was standing there with the tech) visual inspection - nothing found. They also did a visual inspection from under the hood - nothing.

Then the service manager road with me to get the engine heat up and guess what - NO SMELL. He then suspected the brakes might be causing the smell and we did a rather spirited braking and still no smell . He even raised the hood after a short drive on the Interstate - nothing

I am satisfied that the service department did what they could, but on the way home I had a faint burnt oil smell. Maybe I am just nuts...................... but the smell is getting much less.

George

Last edited by Travelor; 02-22-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 AM
sdwaltemeyer
6th Gear

Default Paako

I have had 7 oil changes at Casa Chevrolet and they raised the car and could see nothing to cause that smell. Yes the smell is bad but goes away, but not seroius i have 24,500 and always full. The dealer really did not seem to care.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Cybergray12GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased a used 2012 grand sport Saturday with 3,400 miles, on test drive a got a whiff of the oil smell when we were stopped. Dealer stated they had just changed oil and probably spilled a drop on the exhaust. Sounded reasonable. Drove the car 380 miles home, still have smell. Decided to search this forum and have just read this thread. I think I am going to puke. Where does this stand with GM now? Last post was back in August....... I am going to call dealer tomorrow. Fortunately, warranty transfers. Last I read, sounds like I need a new rear main seal.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:04 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Cybergray12GS
I just purchased a used 2012 grand sport Saturday with 3,400 miles, on test drive a got a whiff of the oil smell when we were stopped. Dealer stated they had just changed oil and probably spilled a drop on the exhaust. Sounded reasonable. Drove the car 380 miles home, still have smell. Decided to search this forum and have just read this thread. I think I am going to puke. Where does this stand with GM now? Last post was back in August....... I am going to call dealer tomorrow. Fortunately, warranty transfers. Last I read, sounds like I need a new rear main seal.
Check the oil level in case it was overfilled. That's a common cause.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil smell after change

Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 AM
sdwaltemeyer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Check the oil level in case it was overfilled. That's a common cause.
Now have 42k and still get the smell which goes away after a while! No oil on concrete garage floor!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybergray12GS
Hello Cybergray12Gs,

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced this issue as well in your new Corvette. Keep us updated when you reach out to the dealership tomorrow and please feel free to private message us if you would like any assistance working with the dealership in regards to this concern. Thanks for taking the time to post!

Gregory W. (Assisting Kelly & Marissa)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Cybergray12GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Problem solved

I took my 2012 Grand Sport with 4158 miles and the strong oil smell to Coughlin Chevrolet in Pataskala Ohio. Although it is over 100 miles away, they have a certified corvette mechanic in Chuck Metts. They performed the "replace rear main seal repair" and the smell is GONE! I drove car home, stopping several times just to smell with the A/C on high, nothing but fresh air.
I can't express how professional Todd Conway was in arranging the service and keeping me informed during the process. My repair order references PIP 5136. I am very happy today!

BTW they had over 20 C7's on the lot that were sold, in every color, and they are all very sharp. If you are in the Midwest, these guys know corvettes.

Quick Reply: Oil smell after change