C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Queen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
paydirt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consider my vette a garage queen but as stated previously it's because I have two vehicles. I would maybe consider daily driving the vette but I know for a fact I want to keep it forever and want to preserve it for future enjoyment as much as possible. Even my daily driver was a garage queen before I bought her (1998 lexus sc300 with 69,000 miles) Its amazing how well a car will hold up if properly cared for.

Each person will have their own opinion on it but in my case its just tough to justify racking up miles on the vette when i have a second vehicle that I bought with the intention of using everyday
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Something not mentioned yet. Another recent thread mentioned that the average household income of a new Corvette buyer is around $110k. When someone spends 60% or more of their annual income on a vehicle, I'm sure the perception of what that vehicle is becomes modified/distorted, and the vehicle takes on much greater significance than if someone were to spend 30% of their annual income on it.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM
hpclj
Instructor

Originally Posted by talon90
1) Because they can.
2) Because in many cases it is something that they've wanted, wished, hoped for, all their life and now that they finally have it, they want to keep it in pristine condition.
3) To some, it is more than just a car/bike/thing and that is their way of enjoying it.
4) Some are of the belief that by limiting miles and wear that it will somehow be worth more.

I'm somewhere in between. I try to keep my Corvette looking nice but I drive it where and when I want to or have to. I've used it as both a nice weather pleasure vehicle and a daily driver.

At the end of the day, it's their money and their "thing". If that's what they want to do with it, so be it.
Absolutely perfect response.

"Because I can" would be mine.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Fastninja
Advanced

I dont really get it eithier. I guess some people just want to say they have a vette,boat,horse, or whatever just to impress the folks.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM
NYC-Style
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I consider myself fortunate that I can have a "garage queen"...it was purchased for fun and not as a primary means for transportation. As such it only gets driven when the weather is nice and I'm not going to work...therefore it leaves just the weekends when the gf and I go out.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:15 PM
RaleighTL
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BECAUSE I CAN ............ about 9k on an '05.

Most likely need to go see a head Dr. but spent my money on the Vette.

Ever wonder WHY folks spend big bucks on:

Golf equipment, think $3/10k clubs really make you game better?
Art work (just hangs / sits around)
Gun collections
Knife collections
Coin collections
and on and on ....
Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Fastninja
I dont really get it eithier. I guess some people just want to say they have a vette,boat,horse, or whatever just to impress the folks.
Maybe some folks want to just have one (as opposed to saying they have one) and want to take care of their investment (as opposed to doing anything to impress anyone).

It seems to me that this is nothing more than one owner's vision/version of how to own a Corvette vs. another's. Why does either one have to be wrong? Everyone gets appreciation and gratification from their actions and possessions in their own way. There is no boiler plate answer for how everyone should behave.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
caroutisine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talon90
1) Because they can.
2) Because in many cases it is something that they've wanted, wished, hoped for, all their life and now that they finally have it, they want to keep it in pristine condition.
3) To some, it is more than just a car/bike/thing and that is their way of enjoying it.
4) Some are of the belief that by limiting miles and wear that it will somehow be worth more.

I'm somewhere in between. I try to keep my Corvette looking nice but I drive it where and when I want to or have to. I've used it as both a nice weather pleasure vehicle and a daily driver.

At the end of the day, it's their money and their "thing". If that's what they want to do with it, so be it.
Exactly. People enjoy their cars in different ways, it's all good.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Revette
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 79 Posts

In my years of driving Corvettes I've never really considered any of them garage queens but I guess my '66 is now since it gets limited use. When I first purchased it the car was driven all year and did some track time

All Corvettes we've owned except the '66 have been driven as daily drivers including my wife's '08.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxxx
I have often wondered why people buy "expensive" stuff just to park it in their garage, wash it, wax it, put more money into it and never enjoy operating it....

I've always wondered this... From Harleys to Corvettes, what is the "joy" in it? Is it just something to tell the "jones'" you have or is it something more?

I'm seriously curious...

It's a dual public service to 25 year olds so that you can buy our pristine pre-owned expensive stuff and provide you reasons for wondering
Old 02-22-2012, 01:42 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jaxxx
I have often wondered why people buy "expensive" stuff just to park it in their garage, wash it, wax it, put more money into it and never enjoy operating it....

I've always wondered this... From Harleys to Corvettes, what is the "joy" in it? Is it just something to tell the "jones'" you have or is it something more?

I'm seriously curious...
If it was me, I wouldn't waste my time wondering why people do what they do. To each there own.

If you're 'seriously curious' why not ask them? But, they might just tell you it's none of your damn businees.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastninja
Putting a lot of miles on a car and driving in all conditions causes wear.
Wear on the drivetrain, wear on the interior, wear on suspensions, and most importantly wear on the paint.

Here are the reasons I put only 5K miles on per year:

- Pride of ownership, there is a deep satisfaction of in having something old that looks brand new. When I pull my vette out of the garage after winter and it looks like it just came off the showroom floor it makes me feel good.
- I treat everything I own the same way, I've worked hard to afford nice machines and my way of appreciating that hard work is by keeping them in the best shape I can.
- It keeps it special. Using anything day in and day out makes you take most things for granted. I personally would get bored with something that I was forced to use everyday. By taking the vette out once a week in nice weather, it is "new again" everytime I drive it. This keeps me from getting bored with it and wanting to trade it in on something else, that if I also had to drive everyday, would lose interest in.
- Driving a 600 whp car in cold, snow, salt, and otherwise inclement weather in not enjoyable to me. Rocks clicking off my paint and windshield is not enjoyable, call me strange. Nor is salt and brine pitting my aluminum suspension components, or people driving like idiots on bald tires at unsafe speeds possibly slamming into my car that I have worked very hard to be able to afford, again, call me strange.
- Because I don't HAVE to drive it everyday, that's what the daily driver is for. Hauling kids, groceries, pets, bedding plants, and chicken food in my Corvette does not appeal to me, perhaps yet again, strange.

I am not sure why it is so hard for people to understand the "Garage Queen" concept. I would bet that if the people that ask the question didn't have to drive their vette all the time they wouldn't.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
I have often wondered what motivates anyone to start a post like this.........
What else are you going to do if you've already watched every episode of Glee?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Hogkiller106
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of these types of threads are started by people that don't even own a Corvette. Enjoy it the way that makes YOU happy, life is just to short to worry about it.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:52 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbeaux
Daily driver here with 136,000 miles on the clock now. Some people still think it's a garage queen because it is sooo clean. The car is never garaged (car cover only) and I have no issues parking it for days at a time at the airport. They are meant to be driven... no way was I going to save the miles for someone else... it makes not sense.
great point. the only people who benefit from garage queens are the next owners.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a 2012 and I use it we just got back from Gulf Port Ms and it rides like a dream but gas mil sucked.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterMidlifeCrisis
Something not mentioned yet. Another recent thread mentioned that the average household income of a new Corvette buyer is around $110k. When someone spends 60% or more of their annual income on a vehicle, I'm sure the perception of what that vehicle is becomes modified/distorted, and the vehicle takes on much greater significance than if someone were to spend 30% of their annual income on it.
thats if you buy the car cash and how many people that buy 55k cars and up pay cash? i dont think too many. i doesn't make sense from a business or financial standpoint.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage Queen?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM
GSRANDY
Burning Brakes

My desire is to keep my GS in pristine condition, even at the sacrifice of not driving it.

I will take it out for a spin when it's sunny and warm weather, i.e. during months of June thru October.

Actually I can get a thrill by just looking at my GS sitting in the garage.

For me applying another application of Zanio Z5 Pro is a good thing.

At this time of the year I'm perfectly happy with my GS sitting in the garage with the car cover on it. I probably won't remove the car cover until the first of June, after three (3) heavy spring rains have washed all of the road salt, sand and gravel off of the paved road surfaces.

When I decide to part with my GS in the future, hopefully the person that purchases it will appreciate the uniquely special care I have given it.

Regards,

GSRANDY
Old 02-22-2012, 03:09 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree with the OP, I don't get it. However whatever someone wants to do with their car is their business and more power to them.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
thats if you buy the car cash and how many people that buy 55k cars and up pay cash? i dont think too many. i doesn't make sense from a business or financial standpoint.
It doesn't make business or financial sense to spend 60% or more of a person's annual salary on a vehicle either, unless there is a significant accumulated fund of discretionary income.

My point being that I wonder if people who are more affluent but purchased a more expensive car using an equivalent 60% or more of their income also treat their vehicles in this way, or similarly if people who purchased a new Corvette with considerably less than 60% of their annual income treat their vehicle in this way.

Quick Reply: Garage Queen?