C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro On-Star people only.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
Make sure the HUD is in the street mode. There are three modes, it only shows in the street mode.
that one i already knew.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:56 AM
fishingdan
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18'-19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My wife keeps OnStar active on her DD, but I dropped mine. She likes it for the peace of mind, albeit at what I consider a high price. Since she drives about 25k miles per year and pays for it, that's fine for her. If OnStar would drop the price to around $100 per year for each vehicle I'd consider it for both.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
ROB LO you seem very knowledgable about the nav and i have one more question for you. after you enter you destination(either by onstar or manually) how do you get it to show in the hud. is it automatic? because sometimes it shows and other times i doesn't. do you physically have to touch something on the nav screen to get it to show in the hud? my gf fools around with the nav screen and gets it to work but i cant. if i get in the car, start it, dial up onstar and ask for directions from a agent she downloads those directions to the vechicle and im good to go. at what point can i now see it in the hud. do i now have to do something on the nav screen for me to be able to see it in hud. it drives me crazy. the manual is of no help in that regard
Because I have an older C6, OnStar can not send their directions straight to my car, I guess that was a later improvement, maybe with the NAV unit itself. As to directions programmed into the nav unit by you, with mine once I program the GPS and start driving, the navigation kicks in and it's right up there on the HUD, I don't do anything else. Other than jschindler's suggestion about making sure the HUD is set for street mode, I don't know what else it could be, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Last edited by RobLo; 02-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RobLo
Because I have an older C6, OnStar can not send their directions straight to my car, I guess that was a later improvement, maybe with the NAV unit itself. As to directions programmed into the nav unit by you, with mine once I program the GPS and start driving, the navigation kicks in and it's right up there on the HUD, I don't do anything else. Other than jschindler's suggestion about making sure the HUD is set for street mode, I don't know what else it could be, sorry I couldn't be of more help.
thanks ROB LO im gonna try and just program manually(like you do) in street mode and see what happens.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

One of the fun things about internet forums is that you cannot tell people to stay our of your threads (not posts, btw). Having said that, I have to tell you that your title gave the impression that you only wanted to hear people agree with you. Truthfully, reading your first post (in this "thread") I'm not really sure why you posted.

Regardless, carry on
I guess you cannot interpret sarcasm either . I could care less if you understand it, wasn't meant for you.

Last edited by JLargo; 02-28-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JLargo
I guess you cannot interpret sarcasm either . I could care less if you understand it, wasn't meant for you.
What, you can't understand sarcasm either? Look back at my post. It had the word "fun" in it, and ended with one of these
Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
JLargo
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

What, you can't understand sarcasm either? Look back at my post. It had the word "fun" in it, and ended with one of these
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

thanks ROB LO im gonna try and just program manually(like you do) in street mode and see what happens.
Let us know how you make out.....Good Luck!
Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerdia
I have had onstar on my Denali since 05, have used it to report drunk drivers, 2, and accidents. just this past weekend my son locked the keys in the Denali and called me at home, I called onstar from home and they unlocked the car. I think too many people are paranoid about onstar. I don't have on the vette since that is a weekend cruiser.
I'm not paranoid about my Z06 having OnStar onboard. It's connected and the fuse in place. I just don't see the need to pay for duplicate services that I already have. I have a cell phone, I have both the factory NAV and a Garmin(with free map updates), and I have a spare key in my wallet and one hidden on the car. I also have a DIC that tells me if a tire is low plus a pencil air gage and an air compressor in my garage. I also have a log book that I keep info such as oil change due dates, when I change out air filters, etc(for all four of my cars).

Last edited by JoesC5; 02-28-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:21 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Onstar is fine, but I don't see a lot of value that I don't already get from my iPhone.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:25 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
I think Onstar is fine, but I don't see a lot of value that I don't already get from my iPhone.
The profits OnStar makes for what they offer is astounding, and almost beyond belief. Amazing how anyone can offer so little for so much, and get away with it.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JLargo
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RobLo
Let us know how you make out.....Good Luck!
just got home and yes i programmed it manually on the way home and it came right up on the hud. go figure. btw i know this is a pro onstar thread and yes i am a fan. i will renew when my free trial expires in june if i can haggle a cheap price from them. the main benefit from onstar in my opinion is you can get directions on the move otherwise you have to pull over.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey folks, just finished reading all the NAV manual, and there was a setting where you can check or uncheck nav commands on HUD, radio stations on HUD, and traffic info on HUD. They're checked by default. And yes, they only work on street mode.

Finally, my car arrives Thursday, but is it 9 or 12 months of OnStar for 4LT CE cars? Remember it's a year for XM, but couldn't find OnStar info. Sounds like a nice service, but I also don't think I'd renew it for $140... UNLESS OnStar has satellite-based phone service. Does it? Since I basically only use the car for trips, and a lot of those miles don't have regular cell coverage, it'd be of real help in case of an emergency. Other than that, I'm not likely to leave keys in the car, or need nav help.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hey folks, just finished reading all the NAV manual, and there was a setting where you can check or uncheck nav commands on HUD, radio stations on HUD, and traffic info on HUD. They're checked by default. And yes, they only work on street mode.

Finally, my car arrives Thursday, but is it 9 or 12 months of OnStar for 4LT CE cars? Remember it's a year for XM, but couldn't find OnStar info. Sounds like a nice service, but I also don't think I'd renew it for $140... UNLESS OnStar has satellite-based phone service. Does it? Since I basically only use the car for trips, and a lot of those miles don't have regular cell coverage, it'd be of real help in case of an emergency. Other than that, I'm not likely to leave keys in the car, or need nav help.
good luck with the new car. my 2012 2LT came with 6 months cant speak for a 4LT. I did notice with onstar the calls are clearer than when i use the blutooth. maybe it is satellite based as i often wondered that my self. i think its 6mos onstar across the whole corvette line from 2LT on up.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC

I believe we had this discussion a month or two back. I seem to remember that the consensus was that the OnStar phone service was cell.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

just got home and yes i programmed it manually on the way home and it came right up on the hud. go figure. btw i know this is a pro onstar thread and yes i am a fan. i will renew when my free trial expires in june if i can haggle a cheap price from them. the main benefit from onstar in my opinion is you can get directions on the move otherwise you have to pull over.
Good news, glad to hear it worked out.....and I, like you, am a fan and will continue to subscribe. $140 for a year, that's the price of a good dinner here in New York ....see you on the road!

Get notified of new replies

To Pro On-Star people only.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Sickem Dawgs
Racer

Originally Posted by fishingdan
My wife keeps OnStar active on her DD, but I dropped mine. She likes it for the peace of mind, albeit at what I consider a high price. Since she drives about 25k miles per year and pays for it, that's fine for her. If OnStar would drop the price to around $100 per year for each vehicle I'd consider it for both.
i just looked at plan today since it expires in April and it was offered for $100/year--directions and connections no less--no minutes. I tried to purchase but there was a web error. I'm thinking the price listed on the site is incorrect and they didn't want anyone to buy it for that and locked out the purchase ability online. I'm going to keep trying though.

9.99/mo
100/yr

Thought that was fair for a renew..I've only had the free plan up until now.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Sickem Dawgs
Racer

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I believe we had this discussion a month or two back. I seem to remember that the consensus was that the OnStar phone service was cell.
For some reason verizon sticks in my mind as their carrier but that could be location dependent..
Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

@Sickem, WOW, $100, that's a very fair price, please let us know how you make out! And just a reminder to those of us who use State Farm, I was told by my agent that if you contact OnStar and mention the "State Farm Rewards Package", you can get a year subscription for free. She told me it was supposed to be good for only a new subscription but she said when my renewal comes up, call them and give it a try and it should work. I haven't tried it yet but when it's time to renew I'll be trying it....

Quick Reply: Pro On-Star people only.