C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside temperature

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Marksman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Outside temperature

The outside temperature indicator on my climate control just froze today on 87F. It's not that hot outside. Any ideas for a simple fix?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:18 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Marksman
The outside temperature indicator on my climate control just froze today on 87F. It's not that hot outside. Any ideas for a simple fix?
disconnect the battery maybe?

Clif
Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The sensor may have failed or the connector may have gotten corroded. The sensor is located on the lower right side of the car near the radiator. Here are Service Manual directions on how to replace it:
Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
Disconnect the ambient air temperature sensor electrical connector.
Remove the push-in retainer securing the ambient air temperature sensor to the lower RH side of the radiator support.
Remove the ambient air temperature sensor from the radiator support.
Installation Procedure

Important: The ambient air temperature sensor must be orientated so that the sensor probe end is inboard and the electrical connector is outboard.

Install the ambient air temperature sensor to the lower radiator support.
Install the push-in retainer to secure the ambient air temperature sensor to the radiator support.
Connect the ambient air temperature sensor electrical connector.

Check the sensor closely. The one on my C5 got hit by something and the end was broken off. Pull it out of its connector and check its pins and the connector pins for corrosion and tightness of fit. The part is fairly cheap so if you want to replace it that shouldn't be too costly.
Of course the issue could also be a wiring problem or something wrong in the HVAC head.

Bill
Old 03-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Marksman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

How long did it stick on 87 and were you driving it at the time?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM
harley7453
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The sensor may have failed or the connector may have gotten corroded. The sensor is located on the lower right side of the car near the radiator. Here are Service Manual directions on how to replace it:
Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Replacement
Removal Procedure

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
Disconnect the ambient air temperature sensor electrical connector.
Remove the push-in retainer securing the ambient air temperature sensor to the lower RH side of the radiator support.
Remove the ambient air temperature sensor from the radiator support.
Installation Procedure

Important: The ambient air temperature sensor must be orientated so that the sensor probe end is inboard and the electrical connector is outboard.

Install the ambient air temperature sensor to the lower radiator support.
Install the push-in retainer to secure the ambient air temperature sensor to the radiator support.
Connect the ambient air temperature sensor electrical connector.

Check the sensor closely. The one on my C5 got hit by something and the end was broken off. Pull it out of its connector and check its pins and the connector pins for corrosion and tightness of fit. The part is fairly cheap so if you want to replace it that shouldn't be too costly.
Of course the issue could also be a wiring problem or something wrong in the HVAC head.

Bill
he got it right....
Old 07-17-2012, 06:57 PM
RLCulster
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z06Cliff and others:
You all just saved me a Dealership troubleshoot Call.. I have a 06 Z06 and it's hot enough in Elko NV to fry, and my readout was 70 Degrees F. on the Climate Control readout.. Well, the Sensor appeared to be good.. no birds rabbits or other critters impaled on the front end.. So, Last resort.. Yep.. I disconnected the Neg. side of the Battery for about a minute.. and ChaaaZam... My Z came back to life and the reading was 107 Degrees (in my Garage).. accurate .. I'm back in the game.. Thanks to all and this website..
Robert (RLCulster) Elko NV..

Get notified of new replies

To Outside temperature

Quick Reply: Outside temperature