C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav system sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
My Grandfather used to say "A poor workman always blames the tools", and the OP's problem is most likely "pilot error". Or his system is simply broken and needs to be fixed.

GM deserves a kick in the butt for supplying a system that is so non-intuitive. Perhaps they thought Corvette drivers were made of better stuff, willing & able to learn the more complex system. Wrong, or at least Wrong For Some.

For those who are willing to study the tutorial from talon90 and the GM manual, it's an excellent unit. Not perfect, because no Nav is perfect. But very capable.

As mentioned before, we have two "other company" factory navs, two Garmins, and a cellphone nav. All are useful, none are perfect, and I prefer the C6 Nav over the others.
Very well stated.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
59chevyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have to agree with respect to the Nav system on the corvettes. Mine was a 2007 and it was very bad both in user friendliness and the screen itself.
Now this is a GM product and I used to own a 2007 CTS and now I also own a Cadillac SRX both with Nav. The difference is night and day between the $67k Vert, the '07 $49k CTS and the $46k SRX. Huh?????? Even the info displayed on the radio portion on the vet is the absolute worst as far as read outs are concerned. (Artist, song title, year etc.) Very very antiquated system as compared to the luxury cars of lesser value. Sometime I wonder if it is just the name "Corvette" we are paying for and are being duped by GM. Some will disagree and some will agree but will not speak up because they already shelled out the money and found out the hard way. As of yesterday, I am out of the Corvette ownership league. Done! No more for me. All glitter and aside from the engine, no substance. Sorry, just my 2 cents.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by 59chevyguy
I will have to agree with respect to the Nav system on the corvettes. Mine was a 2007 and it was very bad both in user friendliness and the screen itself.
Now this is a GM product and I used to own a 2007 CTS and now I also own a Cadillac SRX both with Nav. The difference is night and day between the $67k Vert, the '07 $49k CTS and the $46k SRX. Huh?????? Even the info displayed on the radio portion on the vet is the absolute worst as far as read outs are concerned. (Artist, song title, year etc.) Very very antiquated system as compared to the luxury cars of lesser value. Sometime I wonder if it is just the name "Corvette" we are paying for and are being duped by GM. Some will disagree and some will agree but will not speak up because they already shelled out the money and found out the hard way. As of yesterday, I am out of the Corvette ownership league. Done! No more for me. All glitter and aside from the engine, no substance. Sorry, just my 2 cents.
Yeah, I would dump one of the fastest and best sports car in the world because it has what I perceive, a bad Nav unit. It becomes clearer day by day why Obama is president. Seriously..WTF is going on here?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM
59chevyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by C3 Vette Fan
Yeah, I would dump one of the fastest and best sports car in the world because it has what I perceive, a bad Nav unit. It becomes clearer day by day why Obama is president. Seriously..WTF is going on here?
I do not regard The Corvette as "one of the best sports cars in the world". Iconic, yes, best, not by a long shot. It is affordable.
Just ask Eli Manning, he did not even give his free one a second look.
BTW, what is God's Green Earth made you think me or any of these other posters voted for Mr. O? I stated my opinion and you yours. I know opinions are like ah's, everyone has one.

When you shell out an additional $2k for a Nav/Radio you expect an exceptional one for that price not a piece of s%#t

Last edited by 59chevyguy; 03-06-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

I do not regard The Corvette as "one of the best sports cars in the world". Iconic, yes, best, not by a long shot. It is affordable.
BTW, what is God's Green Earth made you think me or any of these other posters voted for Mr. O? I stated my opinion and you yours. I know opinions are like ah's, everyone has one.

When you shell out an additional $2k for a Nav/Radio you expect an exceptional one for that price not a piece of s%#t
You know maybe you're right. I'm going to ask that well known car expert Eli Manning about cars.

Your posts not only make little or no sense, they show where you are coming from in 3D vision.

#1, Dump a sports car due to a bad Nav unit.
#2, Corvette not one of the best sports cars in the world despite countless of records proving otherwise.
#3, Point out Eli Manning to agree with my point about sports cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

I'm curious, why did you get rid of yours?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:05 PM
59chevyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I'm curious, why did you get rid of yours?
I may regret answering this but I could list several reasons. First, had nothing to do with money as i owned the car free and clear. With that said, the one drawback that led me in that direction to sell was it was just not for me as a take anywhere car. I found it uncomfortable and like I said, aside from the great engine GM put in these machines, I thought the car lacked a lot of the luxury for the money. Please do not get me wrong, I have had several Corvettes but for me, just not for my taste any longer. You are probably younger than me and may not agree but I just feel GM dropped the ball with the C6's and could have done better with the amenities for the money they charged for these cars. I agree with you that they are fast. but I still stand by my previous assertion that they are not one of the best. I think that is yet to come and maybe the C7 will be the one we have all been waiting for. I truly hope so for the sake of the Corvette name and legacy. I will wait and see what is next before buying my next sports car. GM needs to step it up a few notches.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 PM
chaver450
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 with Nav, don't like it, but at least I can't plug in my Ipod...

I have heard that GM will update the map DVD once.. True?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM
59chevyguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by chaver450
I have an 08 with Nav, don't like it, but at least I can't plug in my Ipod...

I have heard that GM will update the map DVD once.. True?
Yes, but there is a time limit associated with the free upgrade. I believe you may have passed the time limit. Call the number on the CD to be sure.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:23 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

I may regret answering this but I could list several reasons. First, had nothing to do with money as i owned the car free and clear. With that said, the one drawback that led me in that direction to sell was it was just not for me as a take anywhere car. I found it uncomfortable and like I said, aside from the great engine GM put in these machines, I thought the car lacked a lot of the luxury for the money. Please do not get me wrong, I have had several Corvettes but for me, just not for my taste any longer. You are probably younger than me and may not agree but I just feel GM dropped the ball with the C6's and could have done better with the amenities for the money they charged for these cars. I agree with you that they are fast. but I still stand by my previous assertion that they are not one of the best. I think that is yet to come and maybe the C7 will be the one we have all been waiting for. I truly hope so for the sake of the Corvette name and legacy. I will wait and see what is next before buying my next sports car. GM needs to step it up a few notches.
PM sent
Old 03-06-2012, 09:26 PM
chaver450
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, but there is a time limit associated with the free upgrade. I believe you may have passed the time limit. Call the number on the CD to be sure.
I'll check it out.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Talon90 did a great job with his tutorial but the problem is this NAV is so user non-friendly that if you don't use the features every day, you have to stop and pull out the manual to do anything other basic directions.

I bring my $179 Garmin along and have traffic reports and all the same features I need and never had a manual or needed one.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
txsugar08
Pro

I was one of the owners that was dead set on not installing a aftermarket radio. After bumping into a light pole one night, I decided to get a backup camera. Having limited options with the factory radio, I went ahead and put in a pioneer. MONEY WELL SPENT!!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ROD BROWN
A couple of days ago,I went to the desert to visit one of my Army buddys.That Nav system kept taking me different routes back to my original starting point.The Nav system in my opinion is a piece of junk.I have studied the manual and one of the forum members wrote a great supplement manual which I printed out and leave in the car.I am going back to my Magellan GPS.Sorry guys,I am just venting.For the price we pay for this accessory it should work.Rod
I have 3 Magellan's and think they are the best....I tried using a friends Nav in his Vette and it was worse than going to the dentist

I'll stick with Magellan...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
....it was worse than going to the dentist
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 AM
sampaschal
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM Navi is old technology...save your money and frustration...buy an aftermarket...or use the one in your cell phone...I had a 3LT '08 w/navigtion and never used it....don't miss it. If I don't know where the hell I am, I ask my co-pilot and she tells me where to go and how to get there...and she is never, never wrong...

Last edited by sampaschal; 03-07-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-07-2012, 10:08 AM
ryker
Pro

I admit I've not read the manual. Yet for years I've used Garmin and tomtom without ever thinking about reading a manual.

My nav often says "proceed to starting point". Wth! If I knew how to get to the starting point several miles away then I probably wouldn't need navigation!

Get notified of new replies

To Nav system sucks

Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Very happy with the Kenwood DNX7190HD that has Garmin built in. The one in my Toyota sucks bad too. Unusable.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

This is the same as the Mac/Windows/Linux/DOS arguments. Each has their strong and weak points. If, like the OP and many others you have no interest in learning how the unit works, I have to agree that the factory nav sucks. If, on the other hand you are willing to invest the time and effort into learning what it can do, the factory nav far exceeds the capabilities of the more user friendly units. It is the DOS or Linux of systems.

The OP made a "user error" which is understandable if you don't understand that the system wants to get you to your destination even after you shut the car off. Personally I think this is better than the units that forget where you were going whenever you power them down. But I understand it could be confusing if you don't know that it will always keep trying until you get there or cancel the guidance.

Quick Reply: Nav system sucks