C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling - Brake Light Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:18 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Manchester - Political correctness is tyranny with manners.
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
When you decide to take it into the dealership, please let me know. I can get a case started for you in my system. This way we can get your concerns documented and provide another level of customer service. Keep me posted,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thank you. I will do this when it repeats.

I have prepared this letter for when it goes to the dealer:

Over the last few weeks the “Service Active Handling” light has been coming on, but resets at the next startup. The frequency has increased to at least happening once a day. I believe this problem and the following problem are related.

Yesterday, the car would not start and flashed the “step on brake to start” message. Since I WAS doing that and it would not start, I took my foot OFF the brake and it DID start, but the car could not be put in gear. After several start cycles I decided that if the car thought I was stepping on the brake when I wasn’t, it might go in to gear with my foot OFF the brake pedal, and it did.

In addition to this, the brake lights stay on continuously but GO OFF, when I step on the brake pedal. Also, apparently the cruise control thinks the brakes are being applied and will not work.

Last edited by DidntSettle; 10-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:59 PM
coupe4life
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 is schedule for service next week doing the same thing,Service active handling also shock inoperable,my car is tuned so hopefully that's not going to be a issue with dealer or will it be?
Old 10-04-2013, 03:16 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by coupe4life
My 08 is schedule for service next week doing the same thing,Service active handling also shock inoperable,my car is tuned so hopefully that's not going to be a issue with dealer or will it be?
I really can't answer that. Wish I could help. You don't want to lose your tune. If the tuner kept a copy then he can reflash your computer.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

coupe4life,

As Kelly stated for DidntSettle, let us know if you would like for us to assist you.

Erica Tiffany (Assisting Kelly J)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

When you decide to take it into the dealership, please let me know. I can get a case started for you in my system. This way we can get your concerns documented and provide another level of customer service. Keep me posted,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Sent you a PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:55 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

So...took the car in, and they said it was the brake switch and it was replaced. It didn't last a week and I was lucky I didn't have to tow the car back to the dealer, where it is now. The SAH light came on this morning and the car was so messed up when I stopped to check my brake lights, it wouldn't go back in to gear. Locked in "P". I finally got it to start, and go in gear, then called and cancelled the tow truck. I hope it's broken bad enough now that they can really find out what is wrong and fix it, because it's really messed up.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

This is a reacuring theme with 07's and 08's. My 08 Z06 did this and almost got me killed. The BCM was replaced and so was the break position sensor. That was a year ago. One week ago it started the same cycle again. I am going to take it back to the dealership later in the week and see what it is this time.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:15 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
This is a reacuring theme with 07's and 08's. My 08 Z06 did this and almost got me killed. The BCM was replaced and so was the break position sensor. That was a year ago. One week ago it started the same cycle again. I am going to take it back to the dealership later in the week and see what it is this time.
Curious to know what they charged to replace the BCM because I believe that is what I am looking at.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 ATOMIC-Z
Hey 08,

I am sorry this keeps happening! Please pm me with your information including VIN. mileage and the name of your dealership. I want to get a case started for you. How many times have you been into the dealership for this? Were any of them covered by warranty? Please provide me as many details as possible so I can assist. Thank you,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 10-17-2013, 10:43 PM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

The first fix of a brake position sensor lasted about three days. I almost had to have my car towed to the dealer because I could not get it in gear after SAH warning came on after the BPS replacement.

I just got the car back $618 later with a new BCM. So, we'll see how long this fix lasts. So far I'm in to this over $800 in just one week between the two repairs. Hope this doesn't happen to anyone else.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:40 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested to see what solves the problems.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It seems that after a week or so, the BCM was most likely the problem. My '08 seems to be running flawlessly.

Chevrolet Customer Service was informed of the service by the dealer. I was not unhappy with the dealer at all, and told them so. But I did complain that although the car is 5 years old, it only has 19K on the clock and an $800 fix seemed like a lot to have to spend on a repair for a car with that low mileage. I also told them to close their case on the car.

Today I got a call from Customer Service telling me that they would be sending me a $100 credit at any GM dealer for whatever service I needed. It will come in the form of a letter and will be accepted by the dealer. Now, it may not make up for the out of warranty service, but I felt it was a nice gesture by Chevrolet Customer Service, and I wanted to thank them on the forum.

So, thanks Chevrolet Customer Service!
Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 AM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So did a new BCM fix it? All working properly now?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:51 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Silverado Desperado
So did a new BCM fix it? All working properly now?
Yes. After a month of driving it it seems to be working perfectly.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:33 AM
C6Vette1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake lights stay on

Hey 08,

I am sorry this keeps happening! Please pm me with your information including VIN. mileage and the name of your dealership. I want to get a case started for you. How many times have you been into the dealership for this? Were any of them covered by warranty? Please provide me as many details as possible so I can assist. Thank you,

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I'm having a similar problem with my 2008 Z51 6spd with 21k miles. The first time the brake lights were staying on the dealer replaced the brake pedal position switch. Now two weeks later the brake lights are staying on again and service active handling messages have returned, but do not appear very often. The brake lights do go out for about 10 seconds after releasing the brake pedal, but stay on after that. Also when backing out of my driveway, the first time I touch the brake pedal after starting the car, it almost feels like the ABS is activating even though I'm going less than 5 mph. After the first touch the brakes feel smooth.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:17 PM
VIPNiSS
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the BCM need to be reprogrammed when you purchase a new one? my car is doing the exact same thing.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by VIPNiSS
Does the BCM need to be reprogrammed when you purchase a new one? my car is doing the exact same thing.
Yes, I believe it does.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Active Handling - Brake Light Issues

Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 AM
MACowley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am having the exact same issues. I have a 2005 Coupe, 6spd manual. I have had this issue for some time, have taken the car to the dealer several times with the issue, and always got the dreaded "could not duplicate error" response. Last time I took it in, about 2 months ago, I told them to replace the brake switch,, (now out of warranty), which they said they did, but am still having the same issues. Last week I took a 600 mile trip, and guess what.....since the car "thinks" the brakes are being applied, the cruise control won't engage!!!!!! This has been a VERY frustrating issue, which is now almost always happening. I can depress on the brake pedal gently, but not enough to engage the brakes, and the lights go out, soon as I lift off the pedal, they come back on.

I have an appointment to take the car in again this week to see what they can do......I just feel that if I have had a car in the shop 3-4 times when still under warranty, and I bring it back reporting the SAME issue, it should be covered.....it's NOT a new issue, they have records of how many times I brought it in under warranty. I know they won't cover anything.....just venting I guess.......

I also get the service active handling light come on now after about 5-10 minutes of driving......and if it doesn't come on automatically, I can force it, just by a hard acceleration in second or third gear, like when getting on the highway onramp.....this does not sound normal to me.

I'll try and keep y'all posted on what happens. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:07 AM
VIPNiSS
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MACowley
Hi all, I am having the exact same issues. I have a 2005 Coupe, 6spd manual. I have had this issue for some time, have taken the car to the dealer several times with the issue, and always got the dreaded "could not duplicate error" response. Last time I took it in, about 2 months ago, I told them to replace the brake switch,, (now out of warranty), which they said they did, but am still having the same issues. Last week I took a 600 mile trip, and guess what.....since the car "thinks" the brakes are being applied, the cruise control won't engage!!!!!! This has been a VERY frustrating issue, which is now almost always happening. I can depress on the brake pedal gently, but not enough to engage the brakes, and the lights go out, soon as I lift off the pedal, they come back on.

I have an appointment to take the car in again this week to see what they can do......I just feel that if I have had a car in the shop 3-4 times when still under warranty, and I bring it back reporting the SAME issue, it should be covered.....it's NOT a new issue, they have records of how many times I brought it in under warranty. I know they won't cover anything.....just venting I guess.......

I also get the service active handling light come on now after about 5-10 minutes of driving......and if it doesn't come on automatically, I can force it, just by a hard acceleration in second or third gear, like when getting on the highway onramp.....this does not sound normal to me.

Check out this thread.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3458738-brake-lights-stay-on-while-driving.html#post1586760603
Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM
DidntSettle
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MACowley

Yeah, they replaced the brake switch on mine too, but it did not solve anything. The dealer then called the factory and they did some online diagnosis and made the call to replace the BCM. No troubles since. It was NOT under warranty and by the time it was fixed, I was in to it nearly $1K. I don't think a car with 18K (at the time) should have to have the BCM replaced. Now I wonder how long the replacement will last. Just do it and be done with it, lest you be stranded on the road calling for a tow truck....like I was.

Quick Reply: Service Active Handling - Brake Light Issues