C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holes in bumper due to license plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM
vtsteevo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holes in bumper due to license plate

Hey guys, I am close to making a deal on a used z06 but the front license plate that was drilled through the bumper is really bothering me. I was quoted by a local bodyshop $900 for a new bumper, and $600 to paint. According to them, they can't fill holes ina bumper.

I also did a search for the bumper plugs, but didn't find any pics of C6/Z06s with bumper plugs that show up close what the plugs look like.

Does anyone have any up close pics of what bumper plugs would look like on a vette?

How much should I try and knock off the price b/c of this? I think I could live with them, just worried about resale value. Everything else about the car is great.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 11:32 AM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vtsteevo
Hey guys, I am close to making a deal on a used z06 but the front license plate that was drilled through the bumper is really bothering me. I was quoted by a local bodyshop $900 for a new bumper, and $600 to paint. According to them, they can't fill holes ina bumper.

I also did a search for the bumper plugs, but didn't find any pics of C6/Z06s with bumper plugs that show up close what the plugs look like.

Does anyone have any up close pics of what bumper plugs would look like on a vette?

How much should I try and knock off the price b/c of this? I think I could live with them, just worried about resale value. Everything else about the car is great.

Thanks
Make them replace the bumper.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 517 Likes on 303 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Plugs are so-so

Picked up an 08 CRM with the front GM license plate bracket installed.
When I got it home, I found they had screwed the holder into the bumper.
Went with the bumper plugs. Not that impressed. Was quoted $400-$600 for filling the 2 holes and painting. Don't understand why they said they couldn't fill your holes.
Anyway, bought some bondo bumper repair two part system. Filled holes and sanded them flush. The hardest part, so far, will be painting it. CRM is a tint coat. This could be interesting.
If it were to come out to be a total disaster, I figured I would simply put the ugly GM plate holder back on
Old 03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Either the dealer makes it right or I ain't buying, no matter how perfect the rest of the car is.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
SubjectAlpha
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say have them replace/fix the bumper or knock $1500 off the price and do it yourself.

P.S. A body shop should easily be able to fix the holes and blend the paint - it doesn't require a new bumper. $600 tops.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

New Chevrolet dealer in my town just opened. Saw his Vette's with plate bracket riveted to bumper. Gives me pause to use them for service because of it.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SubjectAlpha
...A body shop should easily be able to fix the holes and blend the paint - it doesn't require a new bumper. $600 tops.
A local shop does spot bumper repairs like this...including plastic welding.

My wife's eclipse has holes for the bracket in the front bumper. My problem is that when I removed it, the bracket had actually dug into the bumper material. So it needs a lot more than just filling in the holes now!

OP...what color is this Z06? Depending on the color, you may not have any other choice than to repaint the entire front bumper cover if the holes are filled in.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by ALS 08
New Chevrolet dealer in my town just opened. Saw his Vette's with plate bracket riveted to bumper. Gives me pause to use them for service because of it.
Sadly, not all car dealers are car guys....just businessmen.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:49 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SubjectAlpha
I'd say have them replace/fix the bumper or knock $1500 off the price and do it yourself.

P.S. A body shop should easily be able to fix the holes and blend the paint - it doesn't require a new bumper. $600 tops.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:02 PM
vtsteevo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. It's actually a private party sale, so no dealership to yell at. I am assuming that I will have to repaint the entire bumper, though car is black.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:43 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

Some dealers will say if the state has a front plate law they are required to do this, I dont know if that is the truth though. Some of our local dealers do it here in OK even though we dont have a front plate law.

My wifes brand new 2009 Lincoln MKZ was drilled and rivited, I removed them and went the bumper plug route. If you are going to have to use bumper plugs you can always drill the holes out to the size you need for the plugs, otherwise as suggested there is no reason to replace the entire bumper, that is a shop just trying to make more $$$ off of a simple repair.

You can ask for money off, but if it was my car and state had a front plate law i would tell you sorry if I was at my bottom dollar.

So at this point how bad do you want this particular car, if you want it that bad then you will either have bumper plugs on the cheap and then can have the holes spot repaired and painted down the road.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

It would be a deal breaker for me. No fix no purchase.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vtsteevo
...How much should I try and knock off the price b/c of this? I think I could live with them, just worried about resale value. Everything else about the car is great.

Thanks
Depending on your negotiating skills, you should be able to discount the car by at least half the repair estimate.

But unless it's a show car, I doubt it will affect your resale value very much... I think most folks just wouldn't care about it. It would NOT be a deal-breaker for me.

Post some photos after you get 'er home.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 03-23-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

That's a deal breaker for me
Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
It would be a deal breaker for me. No fix no purchase.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:39 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Night Train
Sadly, not all car dealers are car guys....just businessmen.
And stupid businessmen at that...
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Did the OP say that he was buying it from a dealer?

Get notified of new replies

To holes in bumper due to license plate

Old 03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try to get the seller to offer you the funds for repair or maybe half of it if you really love the rest of the car. Obviously it can be repaired and plugged and painted. It's black no biggy.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ALS 08
When I bought my '08 I told the dealer I didn't want the front plate mounted. The dealer said the car had to leave the dealership with a front plate on it. Told him no deal if he installed the front plate holder. He agreed and it's still in the plastic bag.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Tarl
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I looked at numerous "used" Vettes at CarMax in Southern CA and they ALL had front license plates installed by having them screwed into the bumper. I passed up on two (2) that I liked because of this. To make it even worse, they were crooked, ie not even centered.

I told the guy they damaged the car and I would not even consider buying it unless they took $1000 to $1500 off for repairs. They told me their policy requires them to mount a front plate. I think it's BS because I've seen other Carmax vehicles for sale without front plates. I guess it just depends on the dealership.

I ended up buying a "NEW" left over 2011 Vette for a price I couldn't refuse. I traded in my 2010 Bumble Bee Camaro which I had owned for over two (2) years. I never put a front plate on. 2 days later my Camaro was the "main" show car for sale at the dealership....right out on the front sidewalk for sale, all washed, waxed and armor alled. AND, and...they mounted an ugly front plate by drilling into my front bumper. Sheesh, so it may have something to do with "used" cars. New Vettes and Camaros they are not installing or screwing in the plate holders...but the used cars they are.

Quick Reply: holes in bumper due to license plate