C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping Sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM
nevillej
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chirping Sound

When driving the backroads the other day going between 40-50 MPH with the radio off as I went over some dips/bumps in the road I would hear a chirping sound from what seemed to be the front suspension. The car has only been out 3-4 times this season, are there any areas of the chassis that may require lubrication or is it the sign of something with the suspension.

I would think that with only 27K on the car the suspension would be O.K., any ideas??
Old 03-25-2012, 08:40 PM
littlefranks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

retorque the 4 cradle bolts.was the front bushings on leaf spring cut to lower car .could be bottom of bushings on leaf spring meeting lower control arm.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

The chirping sound I had was my harmonic balancer, I never heard a suspension chirping. It doesn't chirp ever at idle?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 PM
nevillej
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
The chirping sound I had was my harmonic balancer, I never heard a suspension chirping. It doesn't chirp ever at idle?
No noise at idle, rare at highway speeds (but the roads are a bit better), but on backroad twisties which I luv, normal shaking of chassis with some rattles but the obnoxious chirp will drive me nuts (unless I obviously crank up the radio). As I drive the car more, now that the season is here in New England I will drive more without the radio to see if it gets worse or eventually goes away. If I went to a dealer with this they would probably thing I'm nuts or not be able to isolate the problem. I'll write down everyone's suggestions to pass along when/if I go to a dealer.

Thanks All - Jeff
Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 AM
corvette-kyle
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have this same chirping noise but it seems to be coming from the back - most noticeable at lower speeds over bumps as there's less road noise. Would like to see if anyone else knows what this might be...
Old 04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by nevillej
When driving the backroads the other day going between 40-50 MPH with the radio off as I went over some dips/bumps in the road I would hear a chirping sound from what seemed to be the front suspension. The car has only been out 3-4 times this season, are there any areas of the chassis that may require lubrication or is it the sign of something with the suspension.

I would think that with only 27K on the car the suspension would be O.K., any ideas??
worn out suspension parts or unlubed suspension parts will definitely do this.

try lubricating one thing at a time and testing until you narrow it down.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
worn out suspension parts or unlubed suspension parts will definitely do this.

try lubricating one thing at a time and testing until you narrow it down.
There are no lubrication points on a C6 except for the rear toe links(Zerk fittings) on the Z51/Z06/ZR1/GS cars.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I think Ive been looking at too many aftermarket parts - the stock stuff really doesnt have much provision for lubrication

stuff that can be lubricated:
endlinks - aftermarket is obvious, but you can use a siringe to inject grease into the stock ones
sway bar bushings
and like you mentioned the tie rod ends

worn out control arm bushings can sometimes be lubricated to temporarily make the sound go away in order to isolate the issue

Get notified of new replies

To Chirping Sound

Quick Reply: Chirping Sound