C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally changed my cabin air filter OMG!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

got it. no need to get the fuel rail covers involved. just lift up the three u hooks and pull the door down, filter slides right out. 30 second job. great one more thing i learned about my 12 coupe. always looking to learn about the little things. thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ew like totally nasty omg no way
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
biskitman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you need to change if you car is garaged when not driven?
Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Vegasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roscoe118
In the passenger side firewall, just above the battery. Just remove the passenger side fuel rail cover, and it takes a total of about 1 minute.

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
On the fire wall behind the battery. Easy? The paper work in the box from Purolator said moderate difficulty and 25 minutes. Took me 30 seconds and I had never changed it before.
Great info, thanks.
I always appreciate seeing helpful responses like this instead of the "owners manual is your friend" response
Old 03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Wolfy gets grumpy some time.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by biskitman
Do you need to change if you car is garaged when not driven?
That depends on how dirty it got while you were driving it or if rodents have taken up residency. If it looks clean its probably fine.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Nick_D
Advanced

You just reminded me that I need to change mine. I checked it before I drove back to Las Vegas from Texas and it was very dirty. Now that I'm back I guess it's a good time to change it!
Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM
hihoSilver
Racer

Isnt the purotator better than the oem filter that came with the car? Mine is 6months old, but I better change it. I checked it at 1 month and it was funky then.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
Wolfy gets grumpy some time.
But I agree with Wolfy!
Some questions just need the owners manual. Besides, while reading you will find out things you never knew about your car.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Ed32
Racer

I just checked mine at 11k. Two or three leaves, a spyder, a bunch of polen, some dandelions. I cleaned it up and put it back, just until I get a new one; eventhough the filter seems to be okay.

Anyway, when I put it back and ran the a/c I heard a noise, like something tiny going through the ducts inside of the car, the noise was gone after 10 seconds; it feels like I'm getting more air now, or maybe is just because it's hot out. However, there is a chance that a small leaf may have fallen inside of the housing while I was removing the filter, should I be too concerned about this? everything seems to be working and I made sure I didn't put it upside down.

Last edited by Ed32; 04-21-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Vegasr
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed32
I just checked mine at 11k. Two or three leaves, a spyder, a bunch of polen, some dandelions. I cleaned it up and put it back, just until I get a new one; eventhough the filter seems to be okay.

Anyway, when I put it back and ran the a/c I heard a noise, like something tiny going through the ducts inside of the car, the noise was gone after 10 seconds; it feels like I'm getting more air now, or maybe is just because it's hot out. However, there is a chance that a small leaf may have fallen inside of the housing while I was removing the filter, should I be too concerned about this? everything seems to be working and I made sure I didn't put it upside down.
Maybe try using a shopvac?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Ed32
Racer

Originally Posted by Vegasr
Maybe try using a shopvac?
I did, but I don't think anything came out. I may have to try with a different vac attachment. I know my wife had some leaves somewhere at the beginning of the winter in her car since the inside started to smell like burned leaves with the heater on but it went away after a day or so.
I'm hoping it's okay to leave it there, whatever it is

Last edited by Ed32; 04-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:22 PM
1FASTVERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

So after reading this thread, I decided to have a look at my cabin filter. I bought this car last June and have never even known there was a cabin filter. I opened it up and I could not believe my eyes. I could hardly pull the filter out. There was so much insulation on the filter and other debrie. I finally got it out, I had to use my shop vac to get the rest of the insulation out that was left inside that I could not reach. There was a circular worn patch in the filter too. I think a mouse had taken up residence at some point. I don't think he is still around but I am going to keep a close eye on the filter from now on. I can't thank you guys enough for the info on this thread and on this site. Thanks again!!!!! By the way where is the cheapest place to get a new cabin filter?

Craig
Old 04-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Vegasr
Racer

The dealership sells them and probably a few vendors here. A local autoparts store should have them at a outstanding price which would almost make you want to get a new one with every oil change.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:46 PM
musicmankeb
Burning Brakes

I pulled mine like 3 weeks ago and there was barely anything in it, just used the vacuum to suck the random stuff out and put it back in. Still looks new!
Old 04-21-2012, 07:01 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FASTVERT
So after reading this thread, I decided to have a look at my cabin filter. I bought this car last June and have never even known there was a cabin filter. I opened it up and I could not believe my eyes. I could hardly pull the filter out. There was so much insulation on the filter and other debrie. I finally got it out, I had to use my shop vac to get the rest of the insulation out that was left inside that I could not reach. There was a circular worn patch in the filter too. I think a mouse had taken up residence at some point. I don't think he is still around but I am going to keep a close eye on the filter from now on. I can't thank you guys enough for the info on this thread and on this site. Thanks again!!!!! By the way where is the cheapest place to get a new cabin filter?

Craig
Any auto parts store that carries Purolator #C25623. $12 Charcoal impregnated. Its actually beefier than the one that was original. Possibly wont be on shelf because they're not in great demand. Counter man got me one for the next day pickup.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:43 PM
1FASTVERT
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ALS 08
Any auto parts store that carries Purolator #C25623. $12 Charcoal impregnated. Its actually beefier than the one that was original. Possibly wont be on shelf because they're not in great demand. Counter man got me one for the next day pickup.
Thank you.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM
surburban99
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks so much for the information. I found where the mouse was living that had eaten my hood liner. I am ordering new filter NOW!

Just want to know, how and where does this stuff get in there??

Quick Reply: Finally changed my cabin air filter OMG!