C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil smell after oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM
goushdds
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also why not all cars then if they use this lube on all of them, and why would it get better over time within the same oil change?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:57 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe1968ny
I have no reason to not believe you. But I find it hard to understand how much lube can there be on a rear seal after being driven for 10,000 miles? Been wrenching corporate jets for 30 years. Just don't see a chemical reaction like that lasting so long and smell that bad, JMHO. Wish GM would fill us in if they know what it is.
Someone early on PM me on this problem and I didn't believe it either. Then MachAll 2005 posted that and I started to think about it. Then my buddy went to the Bash and asked one of the GM guys about it and they confirmed it. I still had doubts and contacted one of my sources who asked to remain anonymous, and they confirmed it. It has something to do with out gassing at the rear main, I don't understand it myself.

My second oil change smelled, but way less than the first.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Someone early on PM me on this problem and I didn't believe it either. Then MachAll 2005 posted that and I started to think about it. Then my buddy went to the Bash and asked one of the GM guys about it and they confirmed it. I still had doubts and contacted one of my sources who asked to remain anonymous, and they confirmed it. It has something to do with out gassing at the rear main, I don't understand it myself.

My second oil change smelled, but way less than the first.
Only have 1500 miles on my GS, but will report back when I change it. Interesting subject. Thanks for the insight.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Default Cameron

Wonder if the LS engine installed in the Camaro has the smell issue? Going to go snoop on their forum.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Well guys seems we are not the only ones.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183928
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Corvette Mo
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

I have had the same problem with the oil smell on my 11 ZR1.
I did show the dealer all the info I found on the Corvette Forum.
They did get a Regional Service Guy to my dealership to look at my car.
They did say it was the rear main seal and replaced it under warranty.
The smell was still there after the job was completed and is still there.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the rear main seal since I actually saw mine replaced, and still have the smell 2500 miles after replacement. The dealership and Regional guy don't know what else it can be. Hard to believe that !!
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Mo
I have had the same problem with the oil smell on my 11 ZR1.
I did show the dealer all the info I found on the Corvette Forum.
They did get a Regional Service Guy to my dealership to look at my car.
They did say it was the rear main seal and replaced it under warranty.
The smell was still there after the job was completed and is still there.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the rear main seal since I actually saw mine replaced, and still have the smell 2500 miles after replacement. The dealership and Regional guy don't know what else it can be. Hard to believe that !!
Wow....that's crazy. I guess I decided to live with it unless I see oil leaking from somewhere. It is definitely getting better as time goes on. One thing I found out that helps with the smell inside the car is to put the air on recirculate so it doesn't pull in any smells from outside.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM
goushdds
Navigator

Well guys seems we are not the only ones.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183928
GM=
Old 09-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Cybergray12GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default New Victim

I just purchased a used 2012 grand sport Saturday with 3,400 miles, on test drive a got a whiff of the oil smell when we were stopped. Dealer stated they had just changed oil and probably spilled a drop on the exhaust. Sounded reasonable. Drove the car 380 miles home, still have smell. Decided to search this forum and have just read this thread. I think I am going to puke. Where does this stand with GM now? Last post was back in August....... I am going to call dealer tomorrow. Fortunately, warranty transfers. Last I read, sounds like I need a new rear main seal.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Cybergray12GS
Intermediate

Since the rear main issue causes "out gassing " from the crankcase/PVC, where exactly does the smell escape from, and is it possible to route the "oil smell" gasses to below the cabin air intake so at low vacuum the will not come into the cabin?
Old 09-23-2013, 12:15 AM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybergray12GS
I just purchased a used 2012 grand sport Saturday with 3,400 miles, on test drive a got a whiff of the oil smell when we were stopped. Dealer stated they had just changed oil and probably spilled a drop on the exhaust. Sounded reasonable. Drove the car 380 miles home, still have smell. Decided to search this forum and have just read this thread. I think I am going to puke. Where does this stand with GM now? Last post was back in August....... I am going to call dealer tomorrow. Fortunately, warranty transfers. Last I read, sounds like I need a new rear main seal.
Install a carbon cabin air filter - problem solved.
It worked for me

Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Cybergray12GS
Intermediate

General Motors PIP 5136
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I have serious doubts that this is caused by the lube on the rear main seal. If this was true, you would have the smell on day one when new, and it wouldn't present itself for the first time after the first/subsequent oil changes.
I have been following the posts in this thread and it appears that the smell will dissipate.
I would think long and hard before allowing a dealer to change out the rear main seal. You could be opening up a whole new can of worms.
If it were mine, I would at the very least drive it a few more miles to see if the smell dissipates and install a carbon cabin filter before even considering having the rear main seal replaced. Other than the annoying smell, there is nothing being harmed.

Brian E

Originally Posted by Cybergray12GS
Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 AM
terradriller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still maintain that some people are putting too much oil on the oil filter gasket and it is squeezed off of the surface, a small amount becomes present on the outside edge of the gasket and is exposed to the heat of the engine and the catalytic converter. Most people state that the smell goes away after a few hundred miles.

I'm very careful to apply only a very thin layer of oil to mine... After 5 do it yourself oil changes on my 06 I have yet to smell anything

I'll be changing the oil in my 427 Vert in the next few weeks and will report back on that oil change.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had two oil changes on my 2012 GS 6MT and I've smelled oil in the interior within minutes after pulling away from the dealership, a smell that then lasts for maybe a month which at my rate of driving the car would be say 600 miles.

I used to change oil on my other car, an Infiniti, and I would always get a little bit of oil on the header pipes. That you would smell for a day tops after which it all burns off... Now granted, some exposed oil, say from the oil filter gasket, that might sit in some warm but not hot place, could perhaps emit odor for a longer period of time...

But right after an oil change, when I smell it strongly in the interior, I 've gotten out of the car and smelled under the hood... Nothing... No smell at all.. Somehow it comes in the interior through the air system.

I've also seen the 6 full quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic added to my car tends to leave the dipstick show the oil slightly over filled. It also came new from the factory (no smell though) appearing to be the same, slightly overfilled. The next time I change oil I plan to have the dealership add 5 and 1/2 quarts and give me the remaining half quart to add later if it appears to need it... I doubt "overfilling" is the cause of the oil smell but it's a easy test so I plan to do it...

My "theory" and that's all it is, is that NEW oil has a lot more volatiles in it and that until those volatiles burn away over time, somehow that smell gets routed into the interior via the air system... Just a guess at best...

I like the idea of maybe putting in a better interior air filter... I will look into that... thanks... bob...
Old 09-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious.
Is this just happening with the wet sump cars, or are the dry sump owners having the same issue?

I did the first oil change @ just under 500 miles in my dry sump 427 Vert and had no oil smell before or after the oil change.

Brian E
Old 09-23-2013, 12:16 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brian E
Just curious.
Is this just happening with the wet sump cars, or are the dry sump owners having the same issue?

I did the first oil change @ just under 500 miles in my dry sump 427 Vert and had no oil smell before or after the oil change.

Brian E
Mine is a 2012 GS 6MT convertible so I have wet sump. And I definitely have had the smell after both of my oil changes. Had no smell when new although it could have been masked by the new car smell... Let's see if any dry sump car owners chime in with the oil smell issue... bob...

Get notified of new replies

To Help with oil smell after oil changes

Old 09-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

I still don't think it is a rear main seal. Pretty sure it's getting into the PVC system at oil change. Just did my first oil change on the 2013 GS. Did not spill one drop on the car anywhere, used GM Dexos and AC PF48 filter. And I did fill it back up through the dip stick. If anyone wants to know it took 58 min to send 6 qts down that dip stick tube! Just got back from 45 min ride no oil smell.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:49 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I still don't think it is a rear main seal. Pretty sure it's getting into the PVC system at oil change. Just did my first oil change on the 2013 GS. Did not spill one drop on the car anywhere, used GM Dexos and AC PF48 filter. And I did fill it back up through the dip stick. If anyone wants to know it took 58 min to send 6 qts down that dip stick tube! Just got back from 45 min ride no oil smell.
Just for my education sake, can you share why you go to the effort to refill the oil through the dipstick tube??? I can certainly understand that doing such introduces the oil into the engine low rather than putting it in high through the valve cover... I've just not heard of doing that before... Interested to hear why... You think doing that keeps oil away from places where it can then get into the PVC system???

thanks... bob...
Old 09-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Hi Bob

Yes corrects. That is the thought. Don't know if it is the case tho. I have read and tend to agree. Putting 6 qts of oil in the head area so fast may be causing oil to get into the PVC system causing the oil smell.

If mine doesn't smell after this oil change I will be filling it through the dip stick whenever I change the oil, especially since its a once a year event for me.

Originally Posted by diitto
Just for my education sake, can you share

why you go to the effort to refill the oil through the dipstick tube??? I can certainly understand that doing such introduces the oil into the engine low rather than putting it in high through the valve cover... I've just not heard of doing that before... Interested to hear why... You think doing that keeps oil away from places where it can then get into the PVC system???

thanks... bob...

Quick Reply: Help with oil smell after oil changes