C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting the record straight on batteries...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

If you go back and read my original post #1, I said that people were saying that if a battery goes dead that it was ruined... So, we can all now all agree that this is untrue. It is NOT ruined if it goes dead, so all you have to do is charge it up for a good eight hours and go on. It could do minor damage to it, (which I myself have never seen) but it should not immediately ruin it to the point where you have to throw it out. Correct? OK. Maybe if it sits for a long time, totally drained- OK. I'll buy that. But, anyone who says that if the battery needs to be tossed because you let it run down to where it won't light the interior lights or start the car- please leave the room. You are wrong. Thank you.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:22 AM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going on 4 years with my OEM and still starts every time. I didn't think it would last this long since the car was sitting dead at the dealer when I bought it. Of course I use a tender when the car is not being used so I am sure that helps, but I was really worried the battery had been compromised while the car was sitting dead. But to my surprise it has given me 4 years of bullet proof service. How much it has left though..... is anyone's guess.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
So to really set the record straight, keep your battery, regardless of the type and size fully charged because when ANY battery charge reaches 80% and lower, sulfation starts and battery capacity is permanently decreased. Spend that 20-30 bucks and get a trickle charger to keep your battery topped off all the time.
thanks Peter.....post #59 ....and finally one of us made a trully logical post !!......
Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Now that we have covered the batteries, can you give me your opinion on the best synthetic oil and what weight you think is best?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:37 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

The purpose of the battery is convenience. If you didn't want the convenience of having a pushbutton operate the battery powered starter, then you don't need the battery(well maybe a small dry cell to operate the car doors), just use a Motel T hand crank.

Because of the heavy convenience factor, I don't try and get the absolute maximum life out of my car batteries. I want the car to start EVERYTIME I push the starter button.

If I feel my battery life is compromised, I install a new battery. The inconvenience of having a dead battery when you are away from home, in a motel parking lot on a Sunday morning, isn't worth the hassel of saving a few dollars. I just replaced the 3-3/4 year old OE battery in my Z06 because I let it go dead, and it sat for 4 months in that condition. I charged it up, so I could get the car out of the garage so I could open the rear hatch to swap batteries. The $113 for the new battery is well spent vs sitting somewhere with a dead battery(and then spending maybe more to get back on the road).
Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 AM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Now that we have covered the batteries, can you give me your opinion on the best synthetic oil and what weight you think is best?
I think your best weight is dependent upon your height. I have seen many people who were not nearly tall enough for the weight they were carrying.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:20 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLS708
Going on 4 years with my OEM and still starts every time. I didn't think it would last this long since the car was sitting dead at the dealer when I bought it. Of course I use a tender when the car is not being used so I am sure that helps, but I was really worried the battery had been compromised while the car was sitting dead. But to my surprise it has given me 4 years of bullet proof service. How much it has left though..... is anyone's guess.
Well no, it is not a guess, easy to find out as a matter of fact unless you have AGM battery. Get something like this, you will get very precise idea about condition of your battery.

http://www.toolfetch.com/battery-testers-the117.shtml
Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J Willis
If you go back and read my original post #1, I said that people were saying that if a battery goes dead that it was ruined... So, we can all now all agree that this is untrue. It is NOT ruined if it goes dead, so all you have to do is charge it up for a good eight hours and go on. It could do minor damage to it, (which I myself have never seen) but it should not immediately ruin it to the point where you have to throw it out. Correct? OK. Maybe if it sits for a long time, totally drained- OK. I'll buy that. But, anyone who says that if the battery needs to be tossed because you let it run down to where it won't light the interior lights or start the car- please leave the room. You are wrong. Thank you.
You sir should stop using that term DEAD BATTERY, again, there is a difference between deep discharge and simply going below operating range of battery. There are people claiming ability to revive dead as well. Learn what hydrometer is instead of spreading these misconceptions that may end up leaving somebody stranded away from home just because you do not understand the subject.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rcallen484
I think your best weight is dependent upon your height. I have seen many people who were not nearly tall enough for the weight they were carrying.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

You know things are getting tense when people start calling each other sir.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

You have been very lucky!!

Quick Reply: Setting the record straight on batteries...