C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel locks with TWO keys from the get go

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 AM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default wheel locks with TWO keys from the get go

I've bought wheel locks for years for many cars, always before from McGard. McGard always offer a set of four locks with one key and then they always included a card that allowed you to order a spare key, which I always did... I know wheel locks are marginal help at best but I like to have them and just like I have two keys for my car's ignition I've always found it reasonable to have a spare wheel lock key to put away unless some tire place loses my original...

But now, first McGard won't even show a wheel lock set that is made for my new 2012 GS. Likely they do make a set but every McGard set I call up on Amazon or even on their own site includes no reference to Chevy??? beats me... Plus I've heard that Gorilla seems to be better so off I went to search on their site... They say right on their site that if you want a 2 key set, at least on some sets, add a -2K on the end when you order... Just one problem... No site I've found offers them and you can't buy them directly from Gorilla...

I would like to buy a set of the 61631 Gorilla Guard locks with two keys which they claim would be a 61631-2K but I find no place where you can buy them... Does anyone know where I can buy a set of Gorilla locks of ANY KIND, Gorilla Guard would be first choice but heck, I'm desperate now, that contain two keys??? Gorilla will let you buy what they call a "replacement key" but the way they do it is a hassle... I want what I call a "spare key" just like I have two car keys... Geeesh... Am I alone in this desire to have two keys right from the start??? Any thoughts??? thanks... bob...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM Bob
Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to believe there's anything special about GS wheel lug nuts, as currently have McGard #24137 12 x 1.5 locks on my C6 ZO6 now. These are same locks, originally on my 96' Z-28, to my C5 Vette, now on my C6. Like you, odered a spare key, hung it on the basement wall, with the key code card. Also ordered another same set for my daily car, and by dumb luck, are the same code as the Vette. Now actually have three keys for the two cars. McGard, also offers #009066 nylon key pouches for $4.00 bucks, so got couple of those too.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM
diitto
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Hard to believe there's anything special about GS wheel lug nuts, as currently have McGard #24137 12 x 1.5 locks on my C6 ZO6 now. These are same locks, originally on my 96' Z-28, to my C5 Vette, now on my C6. Like you, odered a spare key, hung it on the basement wall, with the key code card. Also ordered another same set for my daily car, and by dumb luck, are the same code as the Vette. Now actually have three keys for the two cars. McGard, also offers #009066 nylon key pouches for $4.00 bucks, so got couple of those too.
Yeah, I just saw the 24137's over at a local parts store (way more expensive then on amazon)... But I just went back into Amazon, entered 24137, did the does this fit my car by entering 2012 Chevy Corvette and it says NO... I tried the same for the 24157's that look like they should also work and it also comes up NO... My guess is that is bogus info on the "will these work" deal.. If I decide I want the McGards I might have to call their customer support... And you say you have them on your C6 Z06 so surely they should work on a C6 Grand Sport... Thanks for the feedback... bob...
Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM
357magnum
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you just have to make sure they are "Bulge Acorn" since they are aluminum wheels?

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-nuts
Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 PM
ohfiver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Default lug nuts

I ordered the black #21133BC samll dia. for my 2012 G/S Cent. Edition.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ohfiver
I ordered the black #21133BC samll dia. for my 2012 G/S Cent. Edition.
I have those, and although smaller/shorter, I like them better than stock. And the good news is they fit right at the edge of the wheel coned area, so contact surface is pretty much same as stock. And I like all 5 lug nuts are 'security', rather than just one. Finished the black wheel look by painting the TPMS nuts black, replacing valve caps with black ones, and painting the stems black with a sharpie .

I've never needed a second wheel key, and am not afraid of losing it, but with 100 ft/lbs on this car, it might not be a bad idea to have a spare one. Looks beefy enough, however. And yes, I attached the decal with ordering information inside the glove box, for future use and/or new owner in the very distant future .
Old 04-18-2012, 10:57 AM
ohfiver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

ELP JC; I did the same thing (painted valve stems/black caps) with my wheels on the Cent. Edition! Also rechecked torq, no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel locks with TWO keys from the get go

Quick Reply: wheel locks with TWO keys from the get go