C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT or Corvette (base model)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 01:28 PM
mike925
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lifeexplorer
Hi, I am new here. I am trying to decide to go either with a new Mustang GT or new Corvette. I plan to buy the yesteryear's model once the new body style is out. :-)

OK, I know they are different cars, and I just need some opinions.

Firstly I am very leery about the quality of both vehicles. I am really tired of reading reviews on how powerful those cars are. You know what, if the car doesn't run or run properly, it has got zero power. So I am hesitating to buy either one.

I understand there's a huge price difference. A new Mustang GT is at about $30K while a base Corvette $50K.

Money is one thing but if I spend money especially $50K on a car, I need to know that it is reliable at least to the level of my Honda - 10+ years, 1 repair.

I am not leaning towards the Vette mostly because I don't want to baby my car. A car is meant to be driven, scratched and sometimes, a little bump here and there. I like to drive it every day if I have it and I don't want to let it sit in my garage and only drive it during weekend. I may even take it to the track and learn how to drag race. Another thing is the Vette sits so slow that every drive way is a potential for damaging the car.

For the Mustang GT, I keep hearing comments like it's a unreliable junk car, which my early ownership of a GT confirms. It also doesn't project an image of quality and being classy. :-( I agree with the quality part but don't really agree with "being classy" part. I obviously don't want people think I am a street punk who races cars for living.

So what do you guys think?

Aw man, so many people who think all mustang owners are die hard "get a fox body and put 20K into mods on it" kinda guys. I've owned three mustangs, then a lexus is250 (), then my corvette. Here's something i really doubt anyone's gonna tell you. They're extremely similar cars. Sure, the vette is faster and handles better. But the mustang is fun as heck to drive, just like a vette. It has plenty of power to rip the tires loose at any time at slow speeds by letting the clutch out a little too fast, and despite people criticizing the non-independent suspension, it handles being tossed around just great in my opinion.

Either car isn't going to have the reliability of the honda, sorry! I went through 3 transmissions over the 3 mustangs (all 3 autos, first 2 mustangs were auto). I'm sure my corvette will have some problems too (i had to have the harmonic balancer replaced at 3K miles already, but it sure helps having a 5 year / 100K mile warranty on the powertrain which ford sure as heck wouldn't give you on a mustang).

Also, prices on both of these cars very GREATLY between what you'll hear online, and then advertised. I bought my last mustang GT premium for 23K, brand new. I got it at Frontier Ford (CA), while there were having a 33% off msrp sale during a memorial day weekend. And then, i got my vette for $41K (base 1LT no options). A new mustang can creap up to 35K with the track pack, brembos, leather interior - all of which would have been musts for me if i had gone with another mustang instead of a vette. However, the 6K difference there was just too small, and i went for a longer loan on the vette.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

How much was the MSRP?
On the Vette $72,685.00, its was a 3LT, NPP, Nav. Chrome wheels, Full lenght Spoiler, Inforeno Orange Met. Vert. It is more Vette than I need but the deal I got made it happen. The Corvetteforum dealer I got it at was Broadwalk, salesmanger Tim Boone, in most cases he is the best deal of anyone, period!!! I know I have gotten 2 Vettes from him. Here's one of there phone numbers, its worth the call, 650-299-1400, make sure you ask for Tim. Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
3blondesandMe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you, I would go with the Stang. If you are asking that question of us and yourself; you are obviously don't have the Corvette passion yet. When you kick yourself for not buying the Vette you wanted since you were a kid; sell the stang, eat the lost $ selling it, then buy the Vette you should have bought and wanted first. Let us know when you are back-Corvette ownership is a great community to be a part of.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:34 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

My advice, wrap yourself into a sporty new Honda. Imo, if you have to ask you're not suited for either.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Ketchum
Drifting

Mustang versus Camaro. Thats what I compare. Neither are in the Vettes league. I have driven neither. I personally don't like the look of the Camaro. The rear mainly. Plus up close it seems BIG to me. Don't like that. I favor the Mustang. But the Vette is a cut above the Mustang,Camaro. That why I've had two and did not shop Camaro or Mustang at all.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Vet
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

...Another thing is the Vette sits so slow that every drive way is a potential for damaging the car...
Very simply, like with everything in life, you get what you pay for. The Corvette will provide you with a far superior driving experience overall. This is not to say that Stangs are bad, but... both cars provide more than adequate value for the money and the Vette is worth every penny of it's $50k+ price tag. So, how much car do you want?

As for the Vette being low to the ground, I was also very concerned about this prior to buying mine, it was the one single issue that almost kept me from buying it. But, the car offered so much otherwise that I couldn't resist and took my chances. I did decide to raise my suspension a bit for extra safety.... it's easy to do, there are ride height adjustment bolts at each wheel, you can raise the suspension a good 3/4" all around and the car still rides and handles perfectly, at least after an alignment which is recommended anyway for any new car. Since I've raised mine, I have not had any issues and I do drive the car like it's meant to be driven. You still do need to be careful, you can't just go flying up any old steep driveway ramp care-free, but with reasonable care and common sense you should be ok.

Reliability... remember, when people have problems the first thing they do is cry about them on the forums... so if you just read the forums you may get a very inaccurate view of reliability. Don't place too much weight on the amount of problems you see posted at forums. My 2006 C6 has been perfect since new and same for just about every other C6 I know of... my personal, first-hand experience would indicate that these cars are very reliable. I've taken my C6 cross-country, not one glitch, car has been a joy, in every way, since day one... in severe cold, in severe heat, at high speeds, in traffic, etc... can't complain one bit.

The only thing that keeps the Corvette from being a true year-round, all-purpose daily driver, at least in areas that get snow, is its inability to run in the snow. The low ground clearance, super-wide performance tires and rear wheel drive configuration pretty much makes the car unusable in the snow. But keep in mind that even in areas like the northeast, the roads are usually plowed shortly after a snowfall, plus are salted or sanded as well, once the snow is off the road surface you're good to go... at least cautiously.

Mustangs aren't necessarily tremendously better in the snow anyway, but the extra clearance and more versatile type tires do make a difference. Plus, in a Stang you can load the trunk with cement blocks which will noticeably improve traction in snow, in a Vette this is not recommended. In a C6 coupe, having blocks in the trunk area is dangerous since they could collide with occupants in a collision, as well the Vette suspension is not designed to handle a lot of weight in the rear anyway.

But again, if you want a "real deal" performance car, it's the Vette, hands down, no contest. Stangs are great for what they are, but they're not Vettes. If you want a very serious driving experience and can live with not being able to go out in severe snow weather, get a Vette and you'll be very happy you did.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Which girlfriend should I pay more attention to? :-)
The one not named Brucie?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,466 Likes on 2,276 Posts

OP,

If you buy a new one - even a hold-over one, you get a 5 year, 100k mile drivetrain warranty.

That should tell you something.

While there are a lot of vettes that are garage queens, there are also a lot of vettes with well over 100k miles on them, trouble-free and still going.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Hmmm...Let me see....Going to have to go with a Vette on this one/
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
blackonblack2011
Racer

If you can make it happen take the vette! I test drove a few stangs before my purchase. All in all i wasn't impressed. Now the Corvette on the other hand puts a smile on my face everyday.

Just to put your dd question to bed. I daily drive mine and have not had to put one dollar into the car besides oil changes. Oh and Modds

Really though imho get the Vette. Mustang Gt's are a dime a dozen with teens and nothing feels special about them. The only stang i would consider is the Gt500 and that's even a hard sell because it looks so much like the other ones.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:00 PM
lifeexplorer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vet
Very simply, like with everything in life, you get what you pay for. The Corvette will provide you with a far superior driving experience overall. This is not to say that Stangs are bad, but... both cars provide more than adequate value for the money and the Vette is worth every penny of it's $50k+ price tag. So, how much car do you want?

As for the Vette being low to the ground, I was also very concerned about this prior to buying mine, it was the one single issue that almost kept me from buying it. But, the car offered so much otherwise that I couldn't resist and took my chances. I did decide to raise my suspension a bit for extra safety.... it's easy to do, there are ride height adjustment bolts at each wheel, you can raise the suspension a good 3/4" all around and the car still rides and handles perfectly, at least after an alignment which is recommended anyway for any new car. Since I've raised mine, I have not had any issues and I do drive the car like it's meant to be driven. You still do need to be careful, you can't just go flying up any old steep driveway ramp care-free, but with reasonable care and common sense you should be ok.

Reliability... remember, when people have problems the first thing they do is cry about them on the forums... so if you just read the forums you may get a very inaccurate view of reliability. Don't place too much weight on the amount of problems you see posted at forums. My 2006 C6 has been perfect since new and same for just about every other C6 I know of... my personal, first-hand experience would indicate that these cars are very reliable. I've taken my C6 cross-country, not one glitch, car has been a joy, in every way, since day one... in severe cold, in severe heat, at high speeds, in traffic, etc... can't complain one bit.

The only thing that keeps the Corvette from being a true year-round, all-purpose daily driver, at least in areas that get snow, is its inability to run in the snow. The low ground clearance, super-wide performance tires and rear wheel drive configuration pretty much makes the car unusable in the snow. But keep in mind that even in areas like the northeast, the roads are usually plowed shortly after a snowfall, plus are salted or sanded as well, once the snow is off the road surface you're good to go... at least cautiously.

Mustangs aren't necessarily tremendously better in the snow anyway, but the extra clearance and more versatile type tires do make a difference. Plus, in a Stang you can load the trunk with cement blocks which will noticeably improve traction in snow, in a Vette this is not recommended. In a C6 coupe, having blocks in the trunk area is dangerous since they could collide with occupants in a collision, as well the Vette suspension is not designed to handle a lot of weight in the rear anyway.

But again, if you want a "real deal" performance car, it's the Vette, hands down, no contest. Stangs are great for what they are, but they're not Vettes. If you want a very serious driving experience and can live with not being able to go out in severe snow weather, get a Vette and you'll be very happy you did.

Nice write-up! Very convincing. :-)
Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

get a Mustang
Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM
lifeexplorer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by boraxman
Hmmm...Let me see....Going to have to go with a Vette on this one/
Haha, it's not a yes and no answer. You need to state your reason. :-)
Old 04-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

First off you are not buying a Honda, and even today's Honda/Toyota's are not the same. 1 significant repair in 10 years is not common of any new vehicle. You got lucky.

If you are expecting that out of a daily driver sports car, be it a Mustang, Vette, Camaro, or whatever, you are barking up the wrong tree.

If you truly want a rock solid reliable inexpensive sports car that can be had for $30k or less new, you should be looking at a Miata. I'm not kidding.

If you are truly comparing a Mustang to a Vette then the question is more like comparing a loaded Mustang GT to a base 1LT Vette. Two cars that I can understand being considered by the same shopper, but also two cars that are targeted towards very different needs. Similar operating costs.

Drive them both and the answer should be very clear to you.

FYI with my own money and the same ~30k budget I chose a lightly used loaded up 4LT Vette, but my usage is a toy/2nd/hobby car.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Certainly no Mustang hater here, and think Ford did one heck of a job on the $30K GT 5.0. But as mentioned, a whole nother price point car. The chassis design is nowhere near sophisticated as a Vette. While 5.0 hp is close to the Vette, 6.0-6.2 displacement low rpm torque is higher, hauling around 400 lbs less curb weight. Don't dismiss lower curb weight, as a very expensive engineering feature, and most of the newer, larger so called pony cars are getting quite piggy here. Really best taking your considered cars for spirited test drives, to really get the feel for them.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,065 Likes on 1,717 Posts

Get the Vette. After switching from an 08 Vette to a GT500 (several steps up from the GT you are looking at) I returned to the Vette last month and got a 2012 Grand Sport Vert and couldn't be happier (Rick Corvette Conti showing off the exchange).

Quality on a new car will always be an issue, and I don't care if you are driving a Corvette, Mustang, Honda or BMW, you can always get a bad apple. I am confident the vette will make you happy.

However, some of this does come down to dollars and cents. If you can't afford a $50k car, get the Mustang and never look back.

PS - I will also say this, even the GT500 (at 550hp) was only marginally faster than the Grand Sport...and it was all I coudl do to keep the tires from spinning. The GT500 is a double barrel shot gun. The Vette is a highpower rifle...very different personalities.

Last edited by Big Lebowski; 04-16-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:18 PM
ganador01
Instructor

Well, having recently bought and sold a 2011 mustang 5.0, I can chime in with some experience from the mustang perspective.

I purchased a 2011 6M 5.0 with the "brembo package/track pack" and a 3.73 rear end.

I am currently looking to buy a corvette as I never buy the same car twice. I sold the mustang because I needed a truck for work and that is no longer the case. If you are comparing value for value, you can get a 2013 mustang brand new for the same price as a 2008-9 vette. Low 30s.

If you are comparing new to new, it just depends on what you want. If you only care about track performance, you can buy a boss 302 have 15-20 grand in your pocket and put similar track day performance as a stock c6.

If you care about drag racing, you can do the same and easily come out on top with the mustang. But, the same could be said of a 5000 dollar mustang that you sank 35 grand into.

Mustang Pros:
With the gears, I was able to turn a 12.7 stock in the 1/4.
The mustang has a much bigger trunk then the vette.
For better or worse, the mustang isn't made of plastic.
The 5.0 sounds great even with the stock exhaust.

Cons:
If you are into modding, you have to find a shop that has a 10k tuner to work on mustangs. Otherwise your stuck with off the shelf tunes or updates from people who tune them a lot.
The gearing was too close for my tastes. The rear end didn't help.
No wow factory from people looking. (corvette isn't that much better here)

In the end, it really depends what you want out of the car. The corvette is the total package right out of the box. The boss 302 is a close performance competitor to a stock c6 but doesn't have the refinement of magnetic shocks, light weight, better weight distribution and more.

Honestly, I would just decide what you want more. A corvette or a mustang. They aren't really the same car at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Mustang GT or Corvette (base model)

Old 04-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Certainly no Mustang hater here, and think Ford did one heck of a job on the $30K GT 5.0. But as mentioned, a whole nother price point car. The chassis design is nowhere near sophisticated as a Vette. While 5.0 hp is close to the Vette, 6.0-6.2 displacement low rpm torque is higher, hauling around 400 lbs less curb weight. Don't dismiss lower curb weight, as a very expensive engineering feature, and most of the newer, larger so called pony cars are getting quite piggy here. Really best taking your considered cars for spirited test drives, to really get the feel for them.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM
ganador01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Could your numbers on curb weight might be off. I think the 5.0s are like 3550-3650 and vettes are 3350-3400 no? It seems to be more like 200-250.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Jtirwin27
Instructor

Ive had both and just about eveything in between. Depends on what driving experience you want. You low maintenance 400k miles and 30mpg you prob stick with a Honda. You want to look like everyone else and have a fun car go.with the GT. You want raw power, class and a grin everytime you.open your garage go with Vette.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT or Corvette (base model)