C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Head light replacement procedure requested

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:16 PM
AL-427
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Head light replacement procedure requested

I realize this has been discussed previoulsy as I had it bookmarked but I am not able to find the procedure and haven't been able to find it by searching. Can anyone please respond with the procedure on replacing both head light assemblies as one of mine (drivers's side) has the cracking issue. I have purchased a set of black ones which should look good on my 2008 JSB coupe with tinted windows and hatch. Photos will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:24 PM
gbruner
Advanced

Originally Posted by AL-427
I realize this has been discussed previoulsy as I had it bookmarked but I am not able to find the procedure and haven't been able to find it by searching. Can anyone please respond with the procedure on replacing both head light assemblies as one of mine (drivers's side) has the cracking issue. I have purchased a set of black ones which should look good on my 2008 JSB coupe with tinted windows and hatch. Photos will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The bumper has to be removed, so jack up the car, remove both wheels, remove the fender liners and shields, and start removing the bumper. Around 4 hrs total off and back on. I recommend a body shop, broken clips and retainers can really **** you off. And if you scratch the bumper
Old 04-17-2012, 08:15 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...urs-today.html

SEARCH headlight removal or removing for more info.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM
fivefingerdeathpunch
Drifting

look up member shocker for more information

C6 Corvette Headlight Removal and Install- Medium

C6 Corvette Headlight Install

Tools Needed:
Jack Stands
Jack
¾ Deep Socket
10mm Deep Socket
7mm Deep Socket
T-15 Torx Screw Driver
Towels
2- Flat head screw drivers
Pliers

I apologize that I have not yet updated the photos in this Install write-up but here is a link to all of the headlight install photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14476980@N ... 590307510/

Step 1- We began by jacking up the front of the vehicle on both sides and placing a jack stand on either side in the proper jack locations. Once the vehicle was securely on both jack stands check the vehicle to make sure it is secure. We then removed the two front rims using a ¾ Deep socket.
Picture 1:

Step 2 – With the hood open the front bumper cover has 4 - 7mm screws that are along the top of the bumper cover where the front of the hood closes over. Remove all four screws. After removing all 4 screws place a towel on the front bumper to protect it from hitting the hood. Pull the bumper cover lip towards the back of the car and up to release it from the 2 tabs that hold the bumper cover down. Once it is released from the tabs and pulled up it should hold itself up and out of the way to help you get the headlight out.
Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Picture 4:

Step 3- We then unscrewed all 6 of the torx (T-15) head screws along the top of the front fender on each side (12 total driver and passenger side). Note: the sixth screw on each side was hidden under the front bumper cover until you pulled the front bumper cover up See Picture 6.
Picture 5:

Picture 6:

Step 4 – There are 8 plastic push clips holding the inner fender in place. These are the type that you need to pop the head out using a flathead screwdriver, then once the head is out you can pull the clip out using a pair of pliers.
Picture 7:

Step 5 - Next you will need to move to the underside of the front bumper cover. Locate the front airdam. On the front airdam there are 3 plastic push clips. You will need to remove the 2 push clips (1 on each side) towards the outer sides of the vehicle, located right near the metal bumper guards on each side of the vehicle. After removing the plastic clips there is also 1 – 10mm nut that will need to be removed towards the outer edge of the metal bumper guards on each side of the vehicle.
Picture 8:

Picture 9:

Step 6 - Once you have completed step 5 the inner fender well should be completely loose and should be able to slide back towards the rear of the vehicle and out.
Picture 10:

Picture 11:

Step 7 – Now that we have complete access to the underside of the headlight you will see 3 – 10mm nuts that hold the headlight in place. Remove all three of these nuts.
Picture 12:

Step 8 – When all three nuts are removed the headlight will be loose to remove from the vehicle. To do this it will be extremely helpful to have a friend pull up on the fender and the front bumper to allow clearance for the headlight to be pushed up and out. Have your friend lift where you see the towel in picture 13.
Picture 13:

Step 9 – Once the headlight is out you can then just unclip the wiring harness. You will need to remove the gray plastic clip in order to unplug the harness.
Picture 14:

Picture 15:

Step 10 – Plug the new headlight in and reinstall everything reversing steps 1-8. The hardest part of the whole swap is getting the new headlight back in place. Be patient and take your time until you get it to drop into the three holes.

Final Picture of new black headlights on a white C6:
Attached Images   

Last edited by fivefingerdeathpunch; 04-17-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Great write up. Wish the MODs would make the headlight work a sticky since more and more members are having to deal with various headlight replacement and issues.

I'll right, click, save this thread. btw not many pics showing up.

Originally Posted by fivefingerdeathpunch
look up member shocker for more information

C6 Corvette Headlight Removal and Install- Medium

C6 Corvette Headlight Install

Tools Needed:
Jack Stands
Jack
¾ Deep Socket
10mm Deep Socket
7mm Deep Socket
T-15 Torx Screw Driver
Towels
2- Flat head screw drivers
Pliers

I apologize that I have not yet updated the photos in this Install write-up but here is a link to all of the headlight install photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14476980@N ... 590307510/

Step 1- We began by jacking up the front of the vehicle on both sides and placing a jack stand on either side in the proper jack locations. Once the vehicle was securely on both jack stands check the vehicle to make sure it is secure. We then removed the two front rims using a ¾ Deep socket.
Picture 1:

Step 2 – With the hood open the front bumper cover has 4 - 7mm screws that are along the top of the bumper cover where the front of the hood closes over. Remove all four screws. After removing all 4 screws place a towel on the front bumper to protect it from hitting the hood. Pull the bumper cover lip towards the back of the car and up to release it from the 2 tabs that hold the bumper cover down. Once it is released from the tabs and pulled up it should hold itself up and out of the way to help you get the headlight out.
Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Picture 4:

Step 3- We then unscrewed all 6 of the torx (T-15) head screws along the top of the front fender on each side (12 total driver and passenger side). Note: the sixth screw on each side was hidden under the front bumper cover until you pulled the front bumper cover up See Picture 6.
Picture 5:

Picture 6:

Step 4 – There are 8 plastic push clips holding the inner fender in place. These are the type that you need to pop the head out using a flathead screwdriver, then once the head is out you can pull the clip out using a pair of pliers.
Picture 7:

Step 5 - Next you will need to move to the underside of the front bumper cover. Locate the front airdam. On the front airdam there are 3 plastic push clips. You will need to remove the 2 push clips (1 on each side) towards the outer sides of the vehicle, located right near the metal bumper guards on each side of the vehicle. After removing the plastic clips there is also 1 – 10mm nut that will need to be removed towards the outer edge of the metal bumper guards on each side of the vehicle.
Picture 8:

Picture 9:

Step 6 - Once you have completed step 5 the inner fender well should be completely loose and should be able to slide back towards the rear of the vehicle and out.
Picture 10:

Picture 11:

Step 7 – Now that we have complete access to the underside of the headlight you will see 3 – 10mm nuts that hold the headlight in place. Remove all three of these nuts.
Picture 12:

Step 8 – When all three nuts are removed the headlight will be loose to remove from the vehicle. To do this it will be extremely helpful to have a friend pull up on the fender and the front bumper to allow clearance for the headlight to be pushed up and out. Have your friend lift where you see the towel in picture 13.
Picture 13:

Step 9 – Once the headlight is out you can then just unclip the wiring harness. You will need to remove the gray plastic clip in order to unplug the harness.
Picture 14:

Picture 15:

Step 10 – Plug the new headlight in and reinstall everything reversing steps 1-8. The hardest part of the whole swap is getting the new headlight back in place. Be patient and take your time until you get it to drop into the three holes.

Final Picture of new black headlights on a white C6:
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by fivefingerdeathpunch View Post

You still have the pics? I am putting together a new instruction set and would like to use yours if you don't mind.

Thx.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Head light replacement procedure requested

Quick Reply: C6 Head light replacement procedure requested