C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:44 AM
sisoul
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I daily drive mine daily .
Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 AM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I daily drove my c4 for 6 years on Goodyear gatorback gsc's with no issues. I have driven my c6 thru 2 winters so far. I have a second set of snow tires on 08 c6 wheels. It's great in snow and ice, just deep snow over 3 inches is a bit of an issue. We usually get a lot of snow in Wisconsin, but is plowed and cleared rather quickly. The car is washed frequently in winter whenever dirty.
I'm also a t6 paraplegic from a factory accident and the c6 is an extremely comfortable car to drive for a para. My last car was an srt8 300 that messed my shoulder up getting in and out of it daily. Great sleeper, but just too damn big and heavy.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 AM
mano40
1st Gear

just enjoy it
Old 04-18-2012, 04:29 AM
nebula8080
Intermediate

90M+ daily and weekend cruises as well. Stock tires...when they are worn I plan to replace with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP. I have an old saab for snow driving.

Hasnt melted yet!

(but I'm keeping an eye on things...)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:37 AM
OMG
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brewcitygymratt
I daily drove my c4 for 6 years on Goodyear gatorback gsc's with no issues. I have driven my c6 thru 2 winters so far. I have a second set of snow tires on 08 c6 wheels. It's great in snow and ice, just deep snow over 3 inches is a bit of an issue. We usually get a lot of snow in Wisconsin, but is plowed and cleared rather quickly. The car is washed frequently in winter whenever dirty.
I'm also a t6 paraplegic from a factory accident and the c6 is an extremely comfortable car to drive for a para. My last car was an srt8 300 that messed my shoulder up getting in and out of it daily. Great sleeper, but just too damn big and heavy.
As an Illinonian who used to drive his old C5 in the snow, just wondering what make and model winter tire are you using on the 08 wheels?

The only one I remember way back was the Blizzaks but they discontinued them.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 AM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Love driving to work @ 4:30am! Best ride of the day. Just hate the sap & bird crap from trees.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:51 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

Right now it's my only car. If it snows, I hitch a ride.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:33 AM
mad11C6
Instructor

I work from home so she doesn't get out much, but I don't think twice about jumping in and driving wherever.

I said it before and I'll say it again, not sure obout some of the other Vettes out there, but mine came with widshield wipers and a heater.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:45 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

Originally Posted by willmkent
Hey Guys,

Is there anyone who daily drives a vette.... possibly someone who even takes it through snow.

I was having a discussion with a co-worker and I would love to hear some of the opinions and experiences of you guys!!

-Will
Absolutely use my 2008 Z51 M6 with NPP exhaust everyday since the day I bought it. Great vehicle.....

Nothing like taking the roof off and enjoying the beautiful weather..

My 1999 C5 I kept as a garage queen and sold it 4 years later for a C5 Z06 which I modded and then used daily....

I'd have to say as a weekend warrior the cam/headers/gears Z06 was a blast but as a daily driver less so....

When it hit 63k miles it went ka boom...and I had about 50k miles on it as a daily driver with the mods ....turning it into a daily driver with a little over 15 k miles and MODDED was a mistake...(ie...internal mods are a no no for daily drivers in my opinion) It was a bad move as the car just couldn't hold up modded for some reason...always one pain in the @ss after another ...so....

I purchased a new 2008 C6 coupe and other than being black and requiring me to learn how to wash and wax a corvette in under 12 minutes flat so I could keep it clean once a week...its been a great vehicle..

Rain...snow.....sunshine...its the best...stock with a few tasteful mods..ie DSV all alcantara d shaped wheel ...

Puts a smile on my face every day....and thats what its about for sports car enthusiasts..

I had always had two cars ...one a vette and then a leased daily driver etc....and then one day I woke up to the fact that I didn't need the daily driver... saved a boat load of cash on leases and insurance.. and just have more money available..

Last winter was no snow here in the north east tri state metro area but the year before was the worst snowfall in 100 years...

I just didn't go out the day of the snow fall..which I wouldn't have done no matter what my daily driver was...

Here in the northeast...they plow within the day and the vette travels fine..

I didn't even bother to put the snow tires I had in the garage on..

I just drove with common sense during incliment weather.. Been using the corvette as a daily driver for the past 5 or 6 years..

Go for it...no reason not too...

Its a great sports car yet it has been designed by GM as a daily driver so get your moneys worth...!

Just drive with common sense in incliment weather...which you would do in any vehicle...........

I just read the motor trend comparison test between the 911 and vette...and it was a test of which car was the better sports car in the rain..LOL

That was nonsense....of course driving slower and more carefully in a rear wheel drive vehicle with 50 50 weight distribution makes sense.. especially with 436hp ...

its still a very safe ride...especially if you were driving years back with no active handling..no abs....and rear wheel drive...

You know to use common sense and be careful..

Enjoy everyday because you know there are tons of us guys out here who are doing the exact same thing....

I'm not saving my corvette from raindrops or other nonsense for the next owner to get a brand new car..

I made that mistake with my 1999 C5 and it was foolish...

IMO use it or lose it.

Last edited by JerriVette; 04-18-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I use mine to get to work every day regardless of the weather. 20 mile round trip. If we get the occasional ice storm or snow I can work from home. Although I have driven in a minor ice storm and had no difficulty. But I'm originally from Chicago so I understand how to drive in bad weather... Unlike most of the other folks on the road in the Ft. Worth area.

Last edited by BigJoe; 04-18-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM
TXVette07
Instructor

No snow here...drive mine every day...rain or shine. Life is to short not to.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by S'vette
I cruise to relieve some of the anxiety I get from work. Its my only car so its a DD but Im in TX so dont worry about snow too much just wind and sand storms and some rain but its driven in all those conditions.
+1, El Paso daily driver. It's my only RUNNING car right now. Sand storms suck.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by willmkent
well, I plan not to drive the vette in bad snow but I honestly want to get the most out of it. Does everyone get rid of the stock run flats?? if so what does everyone change them to??

-Will
I had a 2008 C6 daily driver and I put on the Michelin all season run flats. Search for me and you will see comments about the tires.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM
EVL JAKE
Burning Brakes

Received 198 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

35 mile round trip commute. No snow for me. My DD blew up a couple months ago so the Vette is my DD till I buy a new one which will definitely be before winter.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,665 Likes on 850 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by SolidlyStated
Every sunny day. Most rainy days, depending on when I washed it
Same here. But mostly out of necessity.

My stepdaughter is using my truck while in school and looking for a job.

My car never sees snow.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Daily Drive of about 700 miles per week. Run with Michelin A/S tires so weather is no issue! Ride 'em hard-put 'em away wet!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by MDPD23
Ride 'em hard-put 'em away wet!
TWSS.

(Sorry, big Office fan, couldn't resist!)

Get notified of new replies

To Daily Driver vette

Old 04-18-2012, 02:34 PM
TL1000R
4th Gear

-Will[/QUOTE]

I have a 2007 Coupe that I bought last May with 18k. I drive it round trip every day about 80 miles. I now have 42K and I've had no problems, gets better MPG than my Honda s2000 and it's way more fun. I got rid of the run flats and put Nitto Invo's on it. 24K on the tires and will be good for the rest of the summer. (and i don't drive like grandma)
Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

This is my third daily driver vette I use for daily commuting. A few things I have learned.

1) Don't spend a lot of cash on disposable parts. I just bought a full set of ceramic padlets out the door for $90 at autozone and they work wonderfully. Nitto Invos non-RF tires are fraction of the cost of stock tires and work extermely well in all weather conditions except snow.

2) Get two sets of floor mats. I have the stock set for the winter and when it's raining, and the Lloyd's for the nice dry days.

3) Invest in purchasing interior panels in different colors. I have a full set of Ebony, Titanium, Cashmere, and cobalt red (installed now) interior panels to switch up the look each year.

4) Forget about a clean engine. Real daily driving means your engine will never stay clean so don't stress it. However, quarterly cleaning is recommended.

5) You will have to detail your car more often so buy easy-on/easy-off waxes. Driving in the rain once = a fresh wash and maybe wax, so unless your a perfectionist, don't make harder than it needs to be. There are a lot of excellent waxes that can be applied and removed very easy and in direct sunlight.

Last edited by SilverScorp; 04-18-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:56 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

my 2010 vette is a daily driver. i have a second set of wheels w/ pirelli sottozero winter tires that i install sometime in November and remove sometime in March. i have the car hand-washed once per week at a car wash that has jets that spray the undercarriage. if the forecast is for snow less than three inches then i drive the vette. when the expected snowfall is greater than three inches then i drive my wife's car or find alternate transportation.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver vette