C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack Stand Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 PM
RJS91RGTP
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Jack Stand Question

I am about to start a two day project on my 07 coupe and have a question. Hope it does not sound stupid.

I plan on having the front of the car up on jack stands for about two days. Any issues that I should be worried about with the front up and the rear wheels on the floor in the garage?? Checking all possibilities before I get started tomorrow. Thanks for any input that might come in.

RJ
Western Burbs of Chicago
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope, no issues - at least not for the car.

From a safety standpoint, make certain the rear wheels are chocked and car is in gear with emergency brake on.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Nope, no issues - at least not for the car.

From a safety standpoint, make certain the rear wheels are chocked and car is in gear with emergency brake on.
Mine was on jack stands last year for over 2 months.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:35 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 197 Posts

Hey there neighbor Im in the north suburbs. As you're bringing the car up and down the tires will skid a bit as they move from a neutral camber on the ground to a positive camber in the air.

Opposite happens on the way down and corrects in the first 10ft of driving.

If your removing wheels remember to break the lug nuts loose on the ground (wheels will spin once in the air)

Good luck, what are you working on?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

If the front subframe (where the jackstands touch) is flat, it's better to have the car level on the air so both sides of the subframe are supported by the jackstand (does that make sense?). But at least on the rear, it's at a steep angle, that even with the rear raised, only the rear portion of the subframe was resting on my jackstands (on preferred locations). If front is the same, just lift the front. But if the front subframe is level, I'd put the rear on ramps to have the car level. And you can basically do any work with the car level (tranny/diff fluid cahnges require car level). Good luck.

By the way SinisterC6, typically only strut-type suspensions turn to positive camber when lifted. I have only lifted my '12 GS on the rear, and both tires were on the air with their same negative camber like if sitting on the ground. That's when I noticed how aggressive the negative camber is. It's probably going to eat the tires on the insides first, but will wait and see.

Last edited by JCtx; 04-18-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 PM
RJS91RGTP
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Jack Stand Question

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Hey there neighbor Im in the north suburbs. As you're bringing the car up and down the tires will skid a bit as they move from a neutral camber on the ground to a positive camber in the air.

Opposite happens on the way down and corrects in the first 10ft of driving.

If your removing wheels remember to break the lug nuts loose on the ground (wheels will spin once in the air)

Good luck, what are you working on?
Hello Sinister C6!! Thanks to you and the others that responded to my question. To answer yours, what am I working on??

The installation of my E-Force Supercharger starts tonight. Have done some of the early work and am waiting for my two mechanics to show up at the house to get going. Should be fun getting it done and getting it on the road and track. What suburb are you in?? I am out in Batavia.

RJ

Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 PM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by RJS91RGTP
Hello Sinister C6!! Thanks to you and the others that responded to my question. To answer yours, what am I working on??

The installation of my E-Force Supercharger starts tonight. Have done some of the early work and am waiting for my two mechanics to show up at the house to get going. Should be fun getting it done and getting it on the road and track. What suburb are you in?? I am out in Batavia.

RJ

Sweet good luck with install youll love the added power. Im down in Skokie. Do you check out any of the local cruise nights?

Get notified of new replies

To Jack Stand Question

Quick Reply: Jack Stand Question