C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with BFgoodrich g-force Sport Comp-2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 PM
victoryredFTW
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any experience with BFgoodrich g-force Sport Comp-2?

I'm interested in buying these tires as they are offered at a good price and reviews are generally pretty good, but I can't find any fellow vette riders' input. These would be for daily driving in California (not extreme weather conditions).

Anybody have experience with these?

(posted this on the performance section but didn't get much of a reply) Thanks!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I liked the last version with the same tread pattern. I'm tempted to try them as well. That or the Hankook V12 Evo.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:21 PM
vatakle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello OP,

Did you ended up getting this? I am considering this too. Which one did you end up with?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2015, 04:06 AM
daz88
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have those on my C4. They handle well enuff, seen to have decent treadwear. Not the stickiest tire out there, but they perform maybe upper middle compared to other tires. I live in NorCal and my C4 is my daily driver.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:47 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I had these on my Subaru STi with about 350hp - they stuck really well in dry and wet conditions and the sidewall was nice and firm in the corners. I was really happy with them, great tire for the money.

.. but that was an awd car. I will say if they had them in the sizes I needed for the new wheels on my vette, I would have tried them again.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:10 PM
vatakle
Racer

Thanks for response guys!

Any idea how they stack up again PSS by Michelin or Extremecontact DW?

i am torn between the 3. DW and Comp-2 are about $230 less than PSS.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:45 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure, but I am putting PSS on my vette this Saturday and I expect to be blown away by them : )
Old 01-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Bill Daughterive
Intermediate

Originally Posted by victoryredFTW
I'm interested in buying these tires as they are offered at a good price and reviews are generally pretty good, but I can't find any fellow vette riders' input. These would be for daily driving in California (not extreme weather conditions).

Anybody have experience with these?

(posted this on the performance section but didn't get much of a reply) Thanks!
Got a set for my 2008 Coupe a couple months ago. The difference is amazing between the BFG tires and the Goodyears. The tires ride and handle well on the street. Its like a new vehicle. Took GY's off after 19000 miles and 6 years..not worn out but noise and ride was so bad that I hated to drive the car and was actually seriously considered getting rid of it and getting a new...GT Mustang. (Glad I didnt do that)
Only thing I did was repaint my barrels in the stock silver color after the tires were mounted and balanced. Interesting that these tires required a very small amount of weight versus the GY's to balance.
I'll keep track of wear vs mileage and keep posting. Got a pump and flat repair kit from Oreilly's in case of a flat tire.
NO MORE GOODYEARS!!
Old 02-04-2015, 07:46 PM
vatakle
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Daughterive
Got a set for my 2008 Coupe a couple months ago. The difference is amazing between the BFG tires and the Goodyears. The tires ride and handle well on the street. Its like a new vehicle. Took GY's off after 19000 miles and 6 years..not worn out but noise and ride was so bad that I hated to drive the car and was actually seriously considered getting rid of it and getting a new...GT Mustang. (Glad I didnt do that)
Only thing I did was repaint my barrels in the stock silver color after the tires were mounted and balanced. Interesting that these tires required a very small amount of weight versus the GY's to balance.
I'll keep track of wear vs mileage and keep posting. Got a pump and flat repair kit from Oreilly's in case of a flat tire.
NO MORE GOODYEARS!!
Hi Bill,

How is he handling compared to GY? How is ride, noise?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Entaille
I'm not sure, but I am putting PSS on my vette this Saturday and I expect to be blown away by them : )
How are your PSS? Any review for same?

Thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

I am loving the PSS! I can't really apples to apples compare my BFG sport comp 2's on the STi to the PSS's on the vette, since they are so different from one another.. but upgrading from the OEM runflats to the PSS has been a dramatic change for the better, and something I can review.

I went from oem sizing (245/40/18 and 285/35/19), to 255/35/19 and 305/30/20. despite the smaller sidewall number, these actually ride more comfortably. overall diameter increased about a 1/5th of an inch, which has improved clearance some for things I'd usually scrap on, and ever so faintly closed the wheel to fender gap some. handling wise, it's still 40-55 degrees here in this area. I'd like a warm day with warm tires for better feedback, but it'll be a while before that happens. I can tell you, in the soaking wet and pouring rain, I can apply wayyyy more throttle and not spin, which is great, since I had to baby the car in the wet in 1st and 2nd gear with the oem's. the lateral grip is pretty silly, I went on a long 360 degree circle on ramp and maintained .9 g's without any sign of tire squeal or slip, the tires seem to be exceeding my talent level / bravery level so far. I can say in dry, cold conditions, I still can't firmly plant the throttle in 1st without inducing some tire spin, but I can roll into it a little faster and harder. I'd love to be able to wind out first all the way to redline with the throttle all the way down in the warm/dry but time will tell.

I'm pretty sold on them being everything they were hyped up to be. for the sizing I wanted, it was either this or toyo t1rs, I'm happy I ponied up for the more expensive option.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:18 PM
vatakle
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. If we change the sizing, do we have to make any other changes? I may upsize if there is nothing additional to be vary of. Do you suggest the same?

I am favoring PSS solidly but you think the price difference is worth it?

thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

I feel like they are worth it. They have superb reviews all around. Check out the 'survey' results on tire rack - they are #1 in their category and score highly all the way around. nice treadwear rating as well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Super+Sport#

Bill Dearborn had this to say about my initial question about the new tire sizes I was considering: "You are forgetting you need to take tire diameter into account when choosing which width tire to get. You want tires that match the stock tire diameter or are close to it so you don't run into Traction Control or Engine Drag Control troubles. The ratio between the front and rear diameters is 1.04. If you choose one tire for the front multiply its diameter by 1.04 to get the correct diameter for the rear tire. That diameter will then define the width and aspect ration you need. If you maintain the correct ratio between the front and rear tire diameters that should avoid Traction and Engine Drag Control problems.

Bill"

so, there are considerations to make when up sizing for the TCS system and engine drag control (may want to research both). I feel like the combo and tire size I have is perfect in that regard. I've not triggered issues with either system. FYI - I have read that several owners have gone with whatever tire size they've wanted and the issues with the systems were not much of a nuisance to them.

"the 305/30/20 is +1.1% larger than OEM O/D for the rears, it is .3" taller, overall.

255/35/19 is also +1.2% larger than OEM /O/D for the fronts, also .3" taller. "

that's what I found when researching my sizes for 19x9 and 20x11. note that there are not very many tire choices in this size... but those two happened to match up very closely. you can use a tire calculator to plug in your OEM tire size and the tire size you are considering to see how close it matches : http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

Last edited by Entaille; 02-04-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:54 PM
vatakle
Racer

Thanks for the info. It was very helpful. But after checking prices, i went with Continental ExtremeContact DW. It is rated in top 5 on the tirerack survey. Also, Comp-2 were not in stock anywhere in CA.

Price difference between PSS and DW was about $500 considering everything. Hopefully DW are good.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:33 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

I've ran conti DWS, and they are pretty good tire.

I had read the DW's had soft sidewalls, but that a fairly recent revision has stiffened them up. I would try to make sure you got the revised version.

Get notified of new replies

To Any experience with BFgoodrich g-force Sport Comp-2?

Quick Reply: Any experience with BFgoodrich g-force Sport Comp-2?