C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 AM
ydeer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default installing heads

Hi All, I am thinking of replacing my LS2 heads with a set of ported LS6 heads from a vendor on this site. My question is if I just do the heads and a ported Fast 102 how much Hp gain can I anticipate gaining? Also is it worth just doing the heads and useing the factory cam. I have a estimate from a tuner that I use saying it would take 19 labor hrs just to do the head swap and if I decide to do a cam it would be another 17 hrs of labor. Also they recommend doing a torque converter for another 9 hrs of labor. If I just do the heads and the fast 102 do I have to do the torque converter? It seems to me that is kind of on the high side (19 hrs)to swap the heads out. I already have long tube headers , high flo cats and x-pipe with a Magnaflo over the axle exhaust. Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you all
Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
ydeer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

ttt
Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Adding heads/intake only (without bigger cam) will not produce a significant enough increase in power to be worth the cost unless you are planning on adding a more agressive cam down the road.

17hrs to do heads is insane. Does that include a days labor (which is waaay generous) to tune it or something? Heads are easy to R&R on an LS2.

Without a cam upgrade I don't see much benifit for a TC for a street car?

Originally Posted by ydeer
Hi All, I am thinking of replacing my LS2 heads with a set of ported LS6 heads from a vendor on this site. My question is if I just do the heads and a ported Fast 102 how much Hp gain can I anticipate gaining? Also is it worth just doing the heads and useing the factory cam. I have a estimate from a tuner that I use saying it would take 19 labor hrs just to do the head swap and if I decide to do a cam it would be another 17 hrs of labor. Also they recommend doing a torque converter for another 9 hrs of labor. If I just do the heads and the fast 102 do I have to do the torque converter? It seems to me that is kind of on the high side (19 hrs)to swap the heads out. I already have long tube headers , high flo cats and x-pipe with a Magnaflo over the axle exhaust. Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you all

Last edited by DSOMC6; 04-25-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ydeer
Item #1 - LS2 heads are the EXACT same as LS6 heads (they're known as 243's) so it'd probably be a lot cheaper just to have yours worked on.

Item #2 - It takes less than 6 hours to swap heads as I just did this last week.

Item #3 - A cam swap takes less than 8 hours and around 9 if you swap valve springs.

Item #4 - A torque converter swap takes less than 5 hours and that's in my garage without a lift.

Looks like somebody's trying to take advantage of you...
Old 04-25-2012, 05:53 PM
Justasheet
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
Item #1 - LS2 heads are the EXACT same as LS6 heads (they're known as 243's) so it'd probably be a lot cheaper just to have yours worked on.

Item #2 - It takes less than 6 hours to swap heads as I just did this last week.

Item #3 - A cam swap takes less than 8 hours and around 9 if you swap valve springs.

Item #4 - A torque converter swap takes less than 5 hours and that's in my garage without a lift.

Listen to Subfloor, he knows what he's talking about.
Jeff
Old 04-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans

Old 04-25-2012, 07:38 PM
ydeer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Hi Guys, Thanks for the input. I saw the installer today and told him that I fiquered 6 to 7 hrs on the heads and 8 to 10 hrs on the cam. I am looking into AFR or other heads before I make a decision. Again thanks
Ydeer
Old 04-25-2012, 08:51 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

L92 or LS3 heads with LS3 intake is a good bang for the price on a LS2.

Get notified of new replies

To installing heads

Quick Reply: installing heads