C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PFADT Performance Street Alignment on new 2012 GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 12:54 PM
hw3__
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PFADT Performance Street Alignment on new 2012 GS

heard through the grape vine that it is a good idea to get a PFADT Performance Street Alignment vs the stock GS alignment if i am a daily vette driver.

1)True or False???

2)Pros vs. Cons???

3)Where is a best place to get this done and expected pricing???
Old 04-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of it.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True, it's supposed to gave you better tire life for normal day-to-day driving. There are many threads on here with a wealth of info. Here it is:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

Last edited by j_digi454; 04-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hw3__
heard through the grape vine that it is a good idea to get a PFADT Performance Street Alignment vs the stock GS alignment if i am a daily vette driver.

1)True or False???

2)Pros vs. Cons???

1. Many believe it a good thing to have done

2. Pro - much better tire wear. Con - you have to pay to get it done

3. Any 'good' alignment shop - with the right computer aided equipment they punch in PFADT specs and align to the same. I take mine to a performance oriented shop. Cost varies - shop around.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
hw3__
Instructor

Originally Posted by j_digi454
True, it's supposed to gave you better tire life for normal day-to-day driving. There are many threads on here with a wealth of info. Here it is:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf
Originally Posted by michaelinmech
1. Many believe it a good thing to have done

2. Pro - much better tire wear. Con - you have to pay to get it done

3. Any 'good' alignment shop - with the right computer aided equipment they punch in PFADT specs and align to the same. I take mine to a performance oriented shop. Cost varies - shop around.
Thanks!

Do any of you happen to know where i could find the stock alignment specs in efforts to compare the diff?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1)True or False???

2)Pros vs. Cons???

Hey there. So below is our Corvette alignment guide. We've been doing this a long time with many happy customers. Given that the alignment on the car as it rolls off the factory floor can vary from car to car, it's really not a bad idea at all to have the car realigned early in ownership... worst case scenario you've paid a small mount to keep sets of very expensive tires happy.

Our Performance Street settings are going to work best for folks who daily drive their corvettes, or just take them out on the weekends. You can expect more predictable handling and better tire wear than with the factory alignment settings. The quality of your alignment is going to be directly related to the quality of your alignment tech, and the key to our settings are their relatively close tolerances called for. So we suggest taking your Corvette to local speed shops or at least to dealers who are very familiar with the Corvette to have this alignment performed.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Click the image below for a full sized printable version.
The following users liked this post:
Topgun20 (02-28-2016)
Old 04-26-2012, 02:20 PM
hw3__
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
Hey there. So below is our Corvette alignment guide. We've been doing this a long time with many happy customers. Given that the alignment on the car as it rolls off the factory floor can vary from car to car, it's really not a bad idea at all to have the car realigned early in ownership... worst case scenario you've paid a small mount to keep sets of very expensive tires happy.

Our Performance Street settings are going to work best for folks who daily drive their corvettes, or just take them out on the weekends. You can expect more predictable handling and better tire wear than with the factory alignment settings. The quality of your alignment is going to be directly related to the quality of your alignment tech, and the key to our settings are their relatively close tolerances called for. So we suggest taking your Corvette to local speed shops or at least to dealers who are very familiar with the Corvette to have this alignment performed.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Click the image below for a full sized printable version.
Thanks for the reply!

Question: I wanted to ask (in ref to Performance STREET Alignment) how do you determine which specs should one have done with regards to the MIN vs MAX threshold values of the PFADT Alignment (Caster, Camber, Toe on Front/Rear)

P.S.
do you happen to know where i could find the general specs of the stock alignment on a 2012 Grand Sport A6

Last edited by hw3__; 04-26-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply!

Question: I wanted to ask (in ref to Performance STREET Alignment) how do you determine which specs should one have done with regards to the MIN vs MAX threshold values of the PFADT Alignment (Caster, Camber, Toe on Front/Rear)

P.S.
do you happen to know where i could find the general specs of the stock alignment on a 2012 Grand Sport A6
So long as your alignment tech is able to reach a value between the MIN and MAX you're set. In a perfect world your target would be exactly between the min and max, but the fact is that every car is a little different, and achieving a caster/camber setting down to .1 of a degree is not only difficult but would be time consuming as well. We want the car to be setup accurately, but the difference in tenths of a degree are pretty minor for a street car.

I don't have easy access to the '12 alignment guide, but it's available in the factory service manual and should be available at your alignment shop.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll soon be having an alignment done according to the Pfadt street-track use specs as I've read numerous posts here about poor alignment from the factory, with tires wearing out quite early as a result. I researched my area to find out who's really good at alignment, & I talked to the guy i've chosen & feel like he'll do a very good job getting it spot-on. I'll first try to get it track weighed so I can get the lowering bolts spot on, then I'll get it aligned.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:20 PM
milt IV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering about this as well. Thanks for the replys pfadt.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:38 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I had it done a couple weeks ago and the "factory" setting were a bit off, as expected. This is on my new 2012. I ruined two sets of fronts on my 2005 before I heard of checking alignment. If it even adds 500 miles to the life of the tires it is worth it in my book.

Before
Front:
_______L_______R
Camber -1.1 -.9
Caster 7.9 7.1
Toe .25 .08
Total Toe .33
Steer Ahead .09
Rear:
Camber -.08 -1.0
Toe -.06 -.09
Total Toe -.15
Thrust Angle .02
Old 07-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Last time I looked up the factory alignment specs, the tolerances were very broad and the Pfadt Street numbers fell within the GM specs. So if you write down the pfadt numbers and bring them to the dealer, he should be willing to use those numbers. Don't rub his nose in it by bringing the Pfadt sheet.
Just be aware that pfadt use "-" to indicate toe-IN, many machines will use that as toe-out. You don't want toe-out.

On order to get an alignment under warranty, your car needs to be within a certain mileage range, something like 500-5,000 miles (those are an example, not the official numbers) and you must have a complaint like uneven tire wear, wandering on the highway, etc. Hint...
Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 PM
madmax4499
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

factory specs are huge!!!! my car was wearing the inside of the front tires and i think it is called trammeling on the freeway ruts like crazy. they said it was in factory spec. LOL. i gave them the PFADT street spec, they told me no problem. WOW what a difference! no more darting around on the freeway and easy to get over 1.0 G on the meter with no squealing, over or under steer. i love it. now i want to spend the money on the J/O bars and dampers. If i could get them at an outstanding price i would drop the cash in an instant.

BTW i used Firestone lifetime alignment was a little over 150.00 and i can go back when ever i feel like it.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Dad-At
Instructor

Here's my before and after... Pfadt
I think it made a noticeable difference in handling
Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 AM
judson whitley
Advanced

Default alignment

my 2010 GS front tires wore out 8000 miles had michelim put on and the Vet guy at rick hendricks change the alignment have 10000 miles now hardly any wear
Old 10-14-2013, 11:47 AM
sellshort
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My OEM Goodyears (rf's) have 15,000 miles on them and have to be replaced. I have decided to go with Michelin Pilot Super Sports (non-run flats) at my dealer here in San Diego. Has anyone done this yet? I would like advise about whether the dealer can or will do PFADT alignment? They are willing to complete with the tire price so I was hoping to get it all done at the dealer. Thanks in advance. Bill
Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

GM specs are real good if you get them in the center and use the correct specs. GS should use the w XFA option specs, not the base specs which a lot of dealers use. Base specs and even the street specs mentioned above are both "tamer" compared to the stock GS specs.

Improper toe in setting will kill your tires quick. I have Michelin Super Sports on my 13 GS with 15k miles on them. They are hitting 7/32ds right now. I have about 8k miles on the settings below. My car handles fantastic and the Super Sports are a bigger improvement in every way. I've driven them in 110 degree heat all the way down to about 5 degree cold. They are fantastic in the rain, not great in snow/ice which is expected.

Get notified of new replies

To PFADT Performance Street Alignment on new 2012 GS

Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 PM
Steve Beaudoin
2nd Gear

Just had an alignment using the PFADT specs. The car has more predictable handling, is better on rutted roads. My GY F1 s were worn to the cord on the inside 2" of both front tires at only 11,000 miles, I mounted Michelin PS2 non run flats, they ride better, handle well, were $500 a set cheaper and are quieter. Thanks for posting the alignment specs.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Had my dealer use the PFADT street specs last year and the tech also stated they were within the GM range and he happily agreed to set them right in the middle of the range.

Front tires were replaced this year at 12k but were still ok. Backs, not so much due to burn outs and such. Handling is good with the PFADT street specs.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:53 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

just did this alignment..........i put michlein pilot SS on my 11 GS, so far very happy ,
huge improvement just getting off of the old GY runflats..........

Quick Reply: PFADT Performance Street Alignment on new 2012 GS