C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie and an unfriendly encounter

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM
joghotrod
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by geezerman
you may run into me!,...i can't tell ya the number of times,..i've been pumpin' gas,..and me and a fellow sportscar enthusiast will get into great conversations, about our varoius cars,[ i chat up owners of all sports car marques,..if it's fast,..we talk!],..very seldom have i had a bad encounter,..one that DOES stand out however,..was the time 'bout a year ago,..again, pumpin' gas,..and this woman in a prius decides to inform me that my car is the reason the planet is dying!!!,..that it's a gas hog,..and totally environmentally "horrific",...proceeded to inform her that said vehicle gets almost 30 miles to the gallon,...is made from 80% recycled material,..[probably HIGHER than her stinkin' prius!]....and by the way,..can't ya let someone who's worked hard his whole f-ning life have a little enjoyment in their latter years?,...she was a class a f-wit,..and was havin' none of it,..so i finally just said,.."it's really folks like YOU that really do make me want to slam the voting lever down for the repubs,..just ta get revenge on all your f-ning political correctness!...[i'm a card carrying independent!],..got in,..gunned the engine, and roared off,...[shouldn't have,..but just had too!]
Here is a link to refute the Prius argument. Our Vettes are more environmentally friendly than any Hybrid. The Nickle in the batt. is why.

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2007/..._efficien.html
Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM
BLU JET 07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haters are going to be haters. They are everywhere. I had just gotten my '07 vette out to the Air Force base here in WA and some less than desirable person decided that a Burger King strawberry shake would look good dumped on the hood on a hot July day. Was kind enough to leave the crumpled up cup on the wiper blade. At least they did not litter........
Old 05-02-2012, 09:08 AM
CaliforniaDave
Advanced

QUOTE=NeverAgain;1580689849]Most of today’s schools encourage mediocrity and sub par performance. We live in a society of everybody gets a trophy mentality. Upon graduating, they find out what the real world is like and want to blame others for their lack of ambition and drive. As others have said, just laugh it off and enjoy your ride.[/QUOTE]

[
Old 05-02-2012, 09:21 AM
426 Hemi
Safety Car

Received 621 Likes on 418 Posts

Age old problem.

Back in '67 my father l came out in the morning to find a brick sticking out of the driver's door on his split window coupe.

Some would rather destroy what they are too lazy to work for themselves.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:35 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=426 Hemi;1580706693]Age old problem.

Back in '67 my father l came out in the morning to find a brick sticking out of the driver's door on his split window coupe.

Some would rather destroy what they are too lazy to work for themselves.[/QUOTE]

This is a pithy, yet totally true statement.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I second what 426 Hemi said. Back in '69, while in school in L.A., I was exiting a bank parking lot in my red w/black interior '67 Firebird 400 Vert (top down) and I stopped for a pedestrian that was crossing in front of me. She stopped and approached the driver's side door screaming: "That is Satan's car, those are Satan's colors!". I'm still amused by (crazy) people's reactions to anything nice.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM
jasmin360
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having anything nice is a punishable crime by the lazy and can I hold something set. Although a lot of posts I read claim this story is fabricated. I believe the op and his story. The Corvette is truly a supercar, its looks are sexy and power intoxicating. I have a lot of Ferrari and Porsche owners as personal friends and customers and the Corvette ranks high amongst the I hate anything fun tree hugging jackbags who drive the worst polluting car in existence the Toyota Prius. If you want to save the world buy a Chevrolet volt otherwise buy an m3 which has better gas mileage at speed than the Toyota. BTW every Prius driver speeds everywhere they go so how are they saving gas anyway
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1-USA
Great letter and much appreciated.

I have two planes and two Corvettes in my hanger. Working hard to acquire them among other things and at the age of 58 let me tell you this.
The world is full of underachievers, jealous and envious people. The problem here belongs to them, not you.
You mostly likely worked hard for your beautiful car…you are proud….congratulations!

Remember, you could be God and people will hate you….Jesus proved that!

Have fun and enjoy the ride!!!!!!!
This get's my vote for best post on this thread...maybe on all of CF.

OP - The world is full of bitter people, usually of their own making. I'm sure, like most successful people, you worked hard to get where you are at - enjoy the fruits of your labor and never make excuses or be embarrassed by your success.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:48 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

**** on that feller. I will admit I watch other yahoo's park and if they park by me, and I notice it, I move my car and I won't apologize for it. why is it everytime I park away from others, and in only one spot mind you, ( I never take two) when I come out someone is parked right beside me? So we have me and some other dipstick parked away from everyone else.

Not only in my vette but in my DD I do this. After years of having door dings by ungrateful slob sob's I'm tired of it.

But this remark most likely was by some ows thug wanta be, most people aren't that ignorant.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

From the time I bought our first Vette,a 98 Vert.,to an 06 coupe and finally a ZO6. We would go out for dinner with another couple, a visit with our kids inlaws for family functions, or my family relative's events,my Wife would ALWAYS say,"we're not taking the Vette are we?" I finally got her to admit she was concerned about how we were being perceived buy others.In retrospect she was right in most cases, as none of these people are car enthusists. I've found in todays society there is a lot of envy and brused egos out there. And this from a Vette owner that never "brags' about what he drives. These cars sure bring out the emotions in people.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
From the time I bought our first Vette,a 98 Vert.,to an 06 coupe and finally a ZO6. We would go out for dinner with another couple, a visit with our kids inlaws for family functions, or my family relative's events,my Wife would ALWAYS say,"we're not taking the Vette are we?" I finally got her to admit she was concerned about how we were being perceived buy others.In retrospect she was right in most cases, as none of these people are car enthusists. I've found in todays society there is a lot of envy and brused egos out there. And this from a Vette owner that never "brags' about what he drives. These cars sure bring out the emotions in people.

I have to admit I fell into that trap of caring what other people said or thought about us buying a new Corvette but no more. My wife and I have worked hard for everything we have and I don't give a $hit what people say anymore. We never lived beyond or means and have never pissed our money away on cigarettes, gambling, drinking, or lavish vacations. Several coworkers give me the cold shoulder about my Vette and as far as I'm concerned they can KMA.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 PM
txsugar08
Pro

Only from bums begging for change and red light window washers!!!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by nsx2C6

(I don't know how resilient the body is to door dings so I just park it far away from others). My car has the setting for the auto activation of the alarm after exiting the vehicle. Since the car is new to me, I seem to find myself turning around to make sure it does indeed activate.

"Just because you have a overpriced flashy ride, you dont need to stair & watch people park. People like you are why there are so many poblems in world!" .... NOTE: I did not make typos, the message is exactly as was written (stair instead of stare and poblems instead of problems).
Forget about the yahoo. You will run into them on a regular basis but they should all be ignored.

As for the door dings. The car has a plastic body and can take a ton more dinging than any metal car. The paint can chip but the body doesn't get hurt by exposure to the elements. As they say "When it is quiet out at night you can hear metal cars rusting."

Bill
Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by SolidlyStated
There are 5 pages of comments on this and no one has even mentioned the content of the note itself!? That's the priceless part- sounds like the ramblings of a mad man.

It didn't even make sense. I can see someone getting mad at a guy in a fancy car who is doing something douche-worthy, but who the hell writes a note about "watching people park?" Who says that?! HA

Unless, OP, you WERE actually sitting in your fancy car watching other cars park... that would be just sick and twisted...
I referenced "mental illness".
Old 05-03-2012, 08:05 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Hello,

Sorry for your bad experience.

With the current redistribution of wealth mentality it's not surprising that more people are experiencing this type of envy.

Funny how I hear people yelling that the Rich should pay their fair share. My question is when are the poor going to pay their fair share. The bottom 51% workers pay nothing and should be grateful to the people that work hard and pay all the taxes.

The root of the problem is that our Government spends too much and taxes too much but the attention has been diverted away into a class war.

Ignore the note and be glad you understand the value of hard work!

Douglas in Green Bay
God bless you man! I have to admit, most of my experience is somebody seeing me at a stoplight with my coupe, with the targa off, and asking me "what is that, it's beautiful"?

People that are that bitter are that bitter because they can recall every stupid decision that they made in their lives that put them where they are. Each of us must be satisfied with who we are and what we have, as there will always be those that have more.

I live in Palm Beach county and have a nice home, but drive by houses everyday that I couldn't afford the landscaping for. I admire their success and smile as I pass by (I do wish they didn't block the view of the ocean though).
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by 2vettes
Congratulations and best wishes on your new ride.

There will always be a few jealous people, as well as a few who are naive, ignorant or just uninformed.

I had one who said my vette was a gas guzzler exotic foreign car. "Why didn't I buy an American car? "
This is my favorite post. Is there anything more American than a Corvette?

Quick Reply: Newbie and an unfriendly encounter