C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt smell inside , when I punch it ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
McLendon95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '98 manual trans, and my dad's 2011 automatic both have this smell. I figured it was burning clutch, until I drove my dad's and it had the same exact smell after punching it a little bit. Beats me...
Old 05-02-2012, 02:32 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heli-vette
Even on mild take offs . I smell it in the cabin ? Clutch ? Serpentine Belt with the AC on ?.

Not enough for wheel spin , Tires are near new . Is the traction control
doing differential braking ?
A piece of bread you left on the top of the engine that now fell and touches exhaust manifold?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Keefer07
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Switch gasoline brands and see if it goes away. Mine had a sulphur smell every time I punched it a little. Raw fuel gets dumped into the converters to keep them cool. I switched gas stations and the smell went away after a few tanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
My 2011 GS has a distinct odor after aggressive acceleration as well. I was thinking it was just something burning in, but it's been pretty consistent for the 23K miles I've driven it so far. Not rubber, not exhaust, not coolant, not really gas or oil either....but a very distinct smell. I was thinking maybe the exhaust pipes heat up and are burning off something or touching a hose underneath or something.

My 8 year old daughter has a theory: "Dad, I think Betty farted!"

I'd be interested in anybody's ideas or thoughts as well.
^ This. If ,as you said, it is a unique odor it is the exhaust temps reacting with the Cats is my best assesment.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Mtnvettes
Racer

I smelled the odor last October in my 08 manual convertible for the first time at approximately 15K miles. Took it to the dealer and the World Class Tech drove it, but no odor no clutch slippage, and ran perfectly. Suggested that I bring it in and let it sit for several days. Instead I put it into storage for the winter. Last week, I put my snow plow away and had to move the 08 convertible. As soon as I started it, the odor was extremely strong in the cabin. So we know it is not due to temperature such as something on the exhaust, or hot fluids. Told the World Class Tech, and he again advised that I leave it at the dealer for a period of time. I will probably take it out of storage next week and take it to the dealer. The Corvette is still under warranty, so I hope they can find the problem and I can share it with you. I have changed the cabin filter, but that did not solve the problem. I was surprised and glad to find this thread on the CF as I also thought I had done something to the car. I do not drive aggressively, so I have not done anything that would cause the problem. Hope someone follows up with more info on this subject and what the source of the odor is.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:08 PM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default smell

ummm.... i believe its the exhaust manifolds heating up...... headers when they get really hot can smell also
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Mine too. 6sp manual. As a former mechanic, I tend to think clutch lining. I notice it most when in a parking lot or slow manuvering and I ride it a little. Does not happen with brisk clutch use. I do not believe it has anything to do with brakes or traction control. Just my .02.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

ahh so I am not the only one....I get it only when I punch it...
interesting
Old 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rocket-J
Mine too. 6sp manual. As a former mechanic, I tend to think clutch lining. I notice it most when in a parking lot or slow manuvering and I ride it a little. Does not happen with brisk clutch use. I do not believe it has anything to do with brakes or traction control. Just my .02.
If can smell your clutch, you have no clutch
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
TARANTULA
Melting Slicks

Received 1,035 Likes on 468 Posts

Is the CAt's
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
kronan
Instructor

No worry....I get that too...when I pull into the garage after some "spirited" driving I smell it...at first I was worried, and checked everything imagineable out on it but could never pinpoint it...I have an "05 A4 auto with 54K miles on it so its not something that is there because its "new" ...the smell Kinda gives me a chubbie
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM
flint1234
Intermediate

I to have this problem with my 07 C6 auto.But only when I run 91 octane .When i run 94 octane which is most of the time, no smell at all
Old 05-02-2012, 08:55 PM
XDNAVETT77
Instructor

2009 a6 cupe the same here but when i use the padle shift and some high rpm and my new BB Fusion make you do that more often like every time.now that i see that a lot of you guys having this smell i am relieved ,well i checkt allmost the whole car and only thing hot was the exhoust from the manifolds and back but the smell is under the doors and back the engine don't smell .thanks for your posts guys and i hope for a solution
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just odd some have it and others don't . Being that my sense of smell is poor , It must be nasty . I can't see how brake fluid smells get in the cabin , same with gearbox oil smells . I'm on straight clean pavement , sometimes only a passing floored pedal push 30 - 60 MPH . Tires would not be the smell on my car .

I'm leaning toward engine belts with the soft spring tensioner .

Cheap gas smell ... flood cooling the cats after the run ? I don't think so .

Quick Reply: Burnt smell inside , when I punch it ?