C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery options?

Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I've had a good number of Delco batteries that came in GM cars over the years, and always got good service from them. Dealer only wanted $110 for the Delco Professional 7 year last Fall, so I went with that.

But the "ease of replacement under warranty on Sunday" issue is real, no question about it.
I've had good battery life out of Delco's except for the side posts leaking on my 1997 Buick. When I purchased my 98 C5(in 1997) I replaced the side post Delco with the Optima Red Top, after I discovered that the computer was under the battery. The Delco hadn't started leaking but I was being proactive about not wanting acid running down into the cars computer/wiring as others had reported.

When I traded the C5 for the Z06 in July 08, the Optima was still as strong as ever.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:48 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I'm not a fan of Optima batteries. They're fine batteries but from what I've learned the premium you pay doesn't translate into that much of an extended service life, if any.
They don't do that well in the heat, just like any other 'maintenance free' battery, but inside the car, they're the best . For under hood installation in a hot climate, I'd go with something you can replenish evaporated distilled water. Otherwise once plates are exposed from 'gassing' (evaporation), that's the end of the battery's life.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM
RainMan12
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts

I was looking at the battery tray today in my 08 and I noticed it is almost an inch and a half longer than the BCI group 85 OEM battery, so it could easily accomadate a longer one.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:28 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,569 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by RainMan12
Looks like my battery is about ready for replacement. I think my tilt sensor alarm research last night probably hastened it's demise. So I've started researching my options.

My 08 needs a BCI Group 85 battery. Costco's used to carry their Group 12 battery that was the correct size, but they no longer stock it anymore. Wal Mart also doesn't carry a Group 85 battery.

So the only other options I have found are:

Super Crank (Deka) at Orielys for $89
Duralast Gold at Autozone for $110
Or the GM battery from the dealer for $150

Does anyone know of any other options for this car? (And no, I'm not interested in an Optima, BTDT, didn't even last a full year).
Shop around for the AC Delco. My Delco unit lasted 6 years and I replaced it this spring as a Preventive Maintenance action - not because of any issues. I paid $106 for their Pro Series 90-6YR including taxes - but from a battery store, not the dealer. It would have been $12 less but I didn't take in the old battery.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:42 AM
SweetBlueZ51
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
You sold me! Ordering now for hopeful pick up this afternoon. Thanks!
I'm glad I was able to help! You're welcome!

Originally Posted by RainMan12
At 242mm in length, that looks like it might be too long for some C6's. What year car did you mount this in and did you have any fitment issues?
I have a 2007 Z51 Coupe and it fit perfectly fine.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I pick mine up at the dealer for the Vette.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery options?