C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyfob Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Keyfob Mystery

Couple of weeks ago, my fob stopped working to start the car. With fob in my jeans pocket, it would let me open the door, but when I tried to start the car, I would get the "No Fob Detected" message until I took it out of my pocket and placed it on the console. Then the car (2011 GS) would start just fine. Thinking maybe it was a battery issue, I tried Fob #2; same deal. I could even open the trunk from clear across the garage, so the batteries seemed OK.

So I'm thinking: what changed? Then I recalled: my wife got a new phone and had to replace the charger in her CTS. Gave me her old one for the 'vette, which I plugged into the console power supply. Even though there's never been a phone connected to the charger, when I pulled the plug, the fob started working normally from my pants pocket. WTF?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:53 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Maybe the charger was giving off some kind of EMP that interfered with the fob?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Lots of devices will interrupt the communication of the FOB and the car. Some cell phones if in the same pocket as the FOB will do the same thing. Sorry, that charger will have to go.

Elmer
Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EVRose
That's kinda my theory too, though I don't know why it would do that with nothing connected to it.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the fob is funky!

that same thing happened to me today and you guys figured it out about the charger. I had plugged in my phone charger BEFORE starting the car, and I got the dreaded "No Fob..."

Now I understand!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:02 AM
wera32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with nothing plugged into the charger there is current running through the transformer. This is where your interference stems from.

Last edited by wera32; 05-16-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-16-2012, 01:33 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wera32
Even with nothing plugged into the charger there is current running through the transformer. This is where your interference stems from.
Yeah, I had another look at the charger, and it's not a straight connection to the cellphone plug - there is what appears to be a transformer/fuse module right behind the plug.

Not that it would make a difference in this scenario, but I do wish Corvette would revamp their lighter/power outlets to switched power like our CTS, instead of always-on....
Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hrmm interesting. I have the same issue but I usually put the key and garage door opener in the cup holder. I have a tag on my keychain anyways so I know its mine and it hangs out so I don't forget about it.

I'm gonna try to pull the charger out and start the car with the key in my pocket after work today. Good info.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by HummelS
Yeah, I had another look at the charger, and it's not a straight connection to the cellphone plug - there is what appears to be a transformer/fuse module right behind the plug.

Not that it would make a difference in this scenario, but I do wish Corvette would revamp their lighter/power outlets to switched power like our CTS, instead of always-on....
The 'module' behind the plug is probably a choke that will block interference/noise from getting to the phone. Good indication that the charger is 'noisy'.

With the power always being 'on' at either of the lighter sockets, it allows you to easily connect a battery tender to the car or leave a device plugged in and charging, like an IPOD.

I leave mine connected while I'm at work, but unplug it when the car is going in the garage for a few days +.

Works for me. YMMV

Old 05-16-2012, 05:35 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Location to fob

This happens only when using the lighter plug in the center console I've noticed. Does not happen if using the one in the ash tray. It is just far enough away from the fob.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

They'll do that and then a thousand people will complain that the outlets should be on unswitched power.

What we should get is two outlets (at least). One switched, one not.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 AM
ecarbone
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Same kinda thing happened to me. I work at a place that requires a "pass card" to enter the building. It's a totally passive device. If its in front of my FOB in my pocket I get "no FOB Detected"!
Old 05-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Topsarge12R
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Exactly my situation. Just happened a few weeks ago. Dreaded no fob, wont' start. I remembered reading about the cell phone charger plugged into the center console here. I looked.....yep it was plugged in, but not attached to my cell phone! Unplugged it. Car started right up....
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM
JJGOLD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Evrose had the right answer to why? Whenever a transformer device is plugged into power, even when the device is not being used, the device acts as a miniature transmitter, giving off (EMF), and yes it will interfere with the FOB system. 40 years in Electronics, many years ago, and I surprised myself by remembering that.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
This happens only when using the lighter plug in the center console I've noticed. Does not happen if using the one in the ash tray. It is just far enough away from the fob.
Right - that was part of my experimentation. But the ashtray plug is being used by the Valentine One.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 592 Posts

I've had that happen to me too....but ONLY when I was wearing a specific pair of jeans. Maybe it's the denim...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Newer chargers use switching technology to change the voltage rather than the old transformer technology. The reason for this is twofold, it is cheaper and it also wastes less power when nothing is connected to the charger. The downside is that the switching transistors are electrically noisy. Get the right noise and the right placement and significant interference can happen. Switching power supplies can be easily identified because they are so light...there is no heavy block of metal there as there was in the old transformers. Many "wall wart" type home power supplies are also switching as there is a push for more power efficiency from these supplies that are usually plugged in 24/7.

Get notified of new replies

To Keyfob Mystery

Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cclive
Newer chargers use switching technology to change the voltage rather than the old transformer technology. The reason for this is twofold, it is cheaper and it also wastes less power when nothing is connected to the charger. The downside is that the switching transistors are electrically noisy. Get the right noise and the right placement and significant interference can happen. Switching power supplies can be easily identified because they are so light...there is no heavy block of metal there as there was in the old transformers. Many "wall wart" type home power supplies are also switching as there is a push for more power efficiency from these supplies that are usually plugged in 24/7.
Thanks for a great explanation - I need to get off my ***, hook the V1 up to the mirror and connect the phone charger to the ashtray outlet.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:34 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Right - that was part of my experimentation. But the ashtray plug is being used by the Valentine One.
That's why I use the mirror mount with the cord that plugs into the back of the mirror. Ashtray receptacle is then free for the phone charger.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Just an FYI-

The C6 fobs transmit at 315MHz.

May help you track down interference if you can access the specs. of the potential offender.

Quick Reply: Keyfob Mystery