C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech "Track Attack" in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 AM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey werks. If I am following the the links above correctly, it looks like he put in a 2nd stage stage scavenge pump and some baffling in the pan and sump. Looks close to an ARE solution but using gm hardware. Can't say this was the cause of the piston failure but less than optimal oiling is never a good thing.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KimZ06
The Car had been to Katech for a checkup at 14000 something miles and got the valve springs changed (according to the previous owner) And I think it had 15500 on the reading when I got it. After that I switched to KM so not quite sure. But my car has been at APP all year and they have checked it after every track day. So basically it was the pistons that went and internally I don`t think they do anything after 30 Hours. The rest of the stuff was discovered after we took it apart. I have sent you an PM with further details.

As for next season I am expecting to drive There is one Z06 in the Netherlands with the same engine as mine.. Trackdays all the time and has done over 100.000km without any maintenance besides the normal you would have to do to a stock engine.

Kim
Is this the car that you mean?

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/video-app-...pe-horsepower/
Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

I have a question that is related to your second upgrade. Can you elaborate a bit more about the advantages of the Vacuum Adjust Valve than what is said on APP's website?
Thanks in advance!

Ronald
Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Me2d
Hi Kim,
what is the service plan for such APP engine? Katech wants to see again their Track Attacks in about 30 hours - which equals to 4-5 weekends in Spa or on Nordschleife easily.
Lets say that Monza, Spa and Nurburgring are very very fast, full throttle tracks....
I'd say APP's quality is second to none here in Europe, but their pricing too - what do You expect for you new engine for next season?

I'm planing to get new engine too, and I have to admit I was decided to buy it from Katech for cheaper (with shipping) than from APP - until I have read Your story

Vit

You should probably consider the whole story. This engine had over 75 hard track hours on it when it was sold. I don't know how many hours were put on it after that. We recommend a rebuild at 30 hours with new pistons. When you go over double the service life road racing, pistons are going to crack. That's like running the 24 Hours of Le Mans over three times back to back to back without rebuilding the engine. I'm not surprised.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I thought the "universal way" for gauging wear and tear on many mechanical things like engines was hours of operation and not miles. No criticism of OP.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Amazing car !, Amazing tracks ! and I am now completly envious !!!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:48 PM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
Yes.

As I understood it with the vacuum valve it controls the pressure in the crank house to not more then 0,7Bar. Over this the engine will throw oil in to the inlet and burn it.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
You should probably consider the whole story. This engine had over 75 hard track hours on it when it was sold. I don't know how many hours were put on it after that. We recommend a rebuild at 30 hours with new pistons. When you go over double the service life road racing, pistons are going to crack. That's like running the 24 Hours of Le Mans over three times back to back to back without rebuilding the engine. I'm not surprised.
As written before I am not complaining about the build quality of the engine. Do you track it these things can happen. But if what you say about the hours of the engine is correct and you have informed the pervious owner about this then he did a sneaky move to sell it instead of fixing it. According to him the engine was only gone 2-3 track days a year and 1 last year before he sold it. And after the springs where changed the engine had much more life in it :/ This just confirms my decision that next time i build a car from the scratch! All in all even if its been a long and expensive way to go I am very happy with my Toy.. There is nothing touching it on the track and it looks amazing
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Yes.

As I understood it with the vacuum valve it controls the pressure in the crank house to not more then 0,7Bar. Over this the engine will throw oil in to the inlet and burn it.
Thanks for your clarification.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:30 PM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Werks
Ok, just took a look at the links that you posted and from those I'm guessing that you were not running an upgraded oiling system, so honestly with what you were using the car for it was probably only a matter of time before you experienced some oiling issues and you lost the engine. I actually think that you might have gotten off lightly and be lucky that the damage was not worse. The system that you have now sounds like it is somewhat along the lines of an ARE Stage 3 with an altered oil pan rather than replaced pan like with the ARE set up. This is what I have on my car also and frankly is imho probably the first upgrade that should be done on any type of vette that is going to be used extensively on the track (don't know if it was available when your car was first built thought).
Yes, I was very lucky. If the pistons had split it would have bin a whole different story!! So all in all I am very happy it went as it went! I don't know what was available in 2007 but it is just normal that things evolve and we learn as we drive The thing for me is that i live and Work in Norway, So I need the car to be maintained here in Europe. But Now I know the exact milage and runtime of the engine and can plan the maintenance after this!
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

As written before I am not complaining about the build quality of the engine. Do you track it these things can happen. But if what you say about the hours of the engine is correct and you have informed the pervious owner about this then he did a sneaky move to sell it instead of fixing it. According to him the engine was only gone 2-3 track days a year and 1 last year before he sold it. And after the springs where changed the engine had much more life in it :/ This just confirms my decision that next time i build a car from the scratch! All in all even if its been a long and expensive way to go I am very happy with my Toy.. There is nothing touching it on the track and it looks amazing
Not saying that you would, but the way this thread was going actually swayed one reader from purchasing an engine from us. I had to clear the air.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, I was very lucky. If the pistons had split it would have bin a whole different story!! So all in all I am very happy it went as it went! I don't know what was available in 2007 but it is just normal that things evolve and we learn as we drive The thing for me is that i live and Work in Norway, So I need the car to be maintained here in Europe. But Now I know the exact milage and runtime of the engine and can plan the maintenance after this!
That's is true, now that you know the time on the engine it is a lot easier to plan out maintenance. That's the thing with buying used cars, it is a bit of (as the saying goes) a double edged sword! You save a ton of money over building it your self but at the same time you are taking some risking. If you look at things though to have bought the same year used car completely stock and built something like what you got you would have probably spent around $100-$120k. So if memory serves me correct picked up the car for around $75k so you saved a whole lot of money going the "grey market" route that you did. Having lived in Europe I do not even want to think what it would have cost you if you bought a car there and did same level of build lol!

The key though now I think is just staying on top of the maintenance like you mentioned. If the car starts idling rough or seeping oil, get it looked at don't drive around it. These maxed out track cars are almost like having a super model girlfriend, they take work, need to be pampered a bit, like to go to the spa (garage) frequently for facials, massages and "regular maintenance" and if you do not treat them well, they will through a temper tantrum and completely ruin your day. But if you treat them right they make you look like a super stud, make all of your friends envious and at the end of the day (or night) will (hopefully ;-) rock your world
Old 11-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Me2d
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Not saying that you would, but the way this thread was going actually swayed one reader from purchasing an engine from us. I had to clear the air.
No no, I can live with 30 mh interval - for me to get the car to Netherlands is about the same cost as to get the engine to the USA and back. The difference is in time as the shipping to the USA is about 6 7 8 weeks one way.

You have wider range of engines - I'd like Your 472 TA tuned for E85 which is not the substitute for APP race engine (really proven with Callaway competition - Euro GT3 champions) I'know the guys from them, and they are busy all season long

I want to say that the decision is quite complex
Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Me2d
Racer

Originally Posted by Werks
... Having lived in Europe I do not even want to think what it would have cost you if you bought a car there and did same level of build lol!....
Base price of Z06 is 110k USD
And no-one except about 3 racing teams is able to do a build for You.

There is only a few Corvettes here because of GM's incompetence.
And they are struggling in racing because of rules tailored for Audi and Mercedes (typicaly maximal displacement :-() - e.g. one large importer of Corvettes is seller of and races with Merc SLS - he does not want to see 7 year old model beating brand new supercar....
Typically Callaway Competition shifted from GT3 to ADAC GT Masters because of this...
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by billmiller8
Welcome, great pics, hope you enjoy your Corvette and racing.
Please update us when you can! Enjoy!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Me2d
No no, I can live with 30 mh interval - for me to get the car to Netherlands is about the same cost as to get the engine to the USA and back. The difference is in time as the shipping to the USA is about 6 7 8 weeks one way.

You have wider range of engines - I'd like Your 472 TA tuned for E85 which is not the substitute for APP race engine (really proven with Callaway competition - Euro GT3 champions) I'know the guys from them, and they are busy all season long

I want to say that the decision is quite complex
You might want to talk to other customers with the 472 track attack, do a search and see if you find one ;-)

Rune
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Me2d
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
You might want to talk to other customers with the 472 track attack, do a search and see if you find one ;-)

Rune
I have just "heard" that we already met F2F in Spa 07/2009 - in Les Combes (the black Z06 behind You)...

Get notified of new replies

To Katech "Track Attack" in Europe

Old 04-27-2013, 12:29 PM
KimZ06
Intermediate

Default Spa Francorchamps 2013

This years first outing at Spa, Belgium:
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

^^^ Nice track, nice car, nice video.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,508 Likes on 3,592 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Welcome!

Quick Reply: Katech "Track Attack" in Europe