C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waterspots -Can't get rid of em

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used Meg's compound on my son's 14-year-old Nissan. It was amazing. It had years of pollen stains, bird droppings and water marks. This car looked as bad as you could possibly imagine.

Modern compounds are a lot different from the old days. Not nearly the gritty stuff we had when we were kids.

Anyway, I used it sparingly and did one panel at a time. The car was like new about an hour later. Didn't take long at all. You wipe it off before it has time to dry.

I then applied a sealant - NXT - and the car looks like new.

This stuff took everything off with no damage to clear coat. It was funny. I went to fill the car up afterward and put the gas cap on the trunk and it promptly slid right off.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 AM
DaveVY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another post mentioned Barkeepers Friend, it will work, though I have concerns about it being near the paint.

Vinegar will sometimes work, if you take long enough to let it soak.

Another post mentioned using glass polish, this will work but is way overkill, that much abrasion is not necessary for water spots.

I detail cars on the side and want to use something safe, effective and fast. I use the paint polishes to remove water spots from the glass, it takes a minute to clean up each window.

Here is a little write up example (though not on a vette)

This vehicle was in pretty bad shape. It regularly was getting sprayed by hard water from an irrigation system and then baked in the hot Florida sun... for the past 3 or 4 years!!

This is how the glass looked after: pressure wash, two bucket wash, clay, glass cleaner ... and still left heavy spots everywhere and still looked like crap!

After using Adam's green 4" focus pad (can be used on a drill or a PC7424) along with the Adam's Severe Swirl and Haze Remover it looked clean. Then for an amazing gloss I switch from the green pad (made for the Severe Swirl and Haze Remover) to the white 4" focus pad with a couple drops of Fine Machine Polish and a couple drops of Revive Polish. (this really is a white pad, just picking up the black material from doing a couple windows)

The results are remarkable! And most importantly the owner is thrilled too!

This picture is focused on the glass like the first picture was... but no spots visible! Had to use manual focus as the camera couldn't see the glass anymore!

These next two pictures show how mirror clear the reflection is now.

This can be done without the machine by using the hand applicators, the machine just makes it faster.

Last edited by DaveVY; 05-21-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:07 AM
RaleighTL
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI for the Glass .. I have not tried it but find their other products to be very good ...
http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06712.html
Old 05-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Ed32
Racer

I had a similar problem using Zaino; some water spots that I didn't see got trapped in the lower part of the nose. I tried vinegar and it did not work, I think I also tried alcohol. I contacted Zaino they suggested vinegar or Z-AIO. Z-AIO (zaino all in one) it's amazing, it got rid off them, it took just a little bit of elbow grease but they came out. If you trapped the water spots under wax, you are gonna have to deal with the wax first; dawn detergent may strip some of that cheapy turtle wax. Z-AIO can be used also as a foundation for Zaino if you wanna try something better than turtle wax

Zaino also has stuff for the glass, I haven't tried it yet but I assume it may be pretty good as well.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2017, 04:54 PM
Alex Tworkowski
5th Gear

Default Help!

Originally Posted by BostonVette
I made the mistake of washing my car in the sun...

I used Turtle Wax Car Wash solution.

Now I've water spots all over the car including the glass.

Just working the glass, I've tried Windex, Invisible Glass, Simple green, dishwasher solution in hot water, even car wax -nothing made a difference.

Anyone have any thoughts on getting rid of the spots
I see the date on your post. Did you find an answer to the water spots? I have them on both cars and I've use everything. Especially on the glass. I think Simple Green Wash and Wax did it. I've tried CLR, Phosphoric Acid, Vinegar, Steel Wool, Buffing Machine, Razor Blade. All to no avail. Only thing that seems to help is waxing the glass and the body w/ good past wax.
Let me know if you found anything in the way of a remedy. Good Luck....a
Old 08-26-2017, 05:03 PM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Tworkowski
I see the date on your post. Did you find an answer to the water spots? I have them on both cars and I've use everything. Especially on the glass. I think Simple Green Wash and Wax did it. I've tried CLR, Phosphoric Acid, Vinegar, Steel Wool, Buffing Machine, Razor Blade. All to no avail. Only thing that seems to help is waxing the glass and the body w/ good past wax.
Let me know if you found anything in the way of a remedy. Good Luck....a
Our water here, to put it mildly, sucks; if your car gets hit with sprinklers and the dries, the water spots are really bad due to all the calcium in the water. About a year ago I saw a video where a guy used distilled vinegar to remove water spots; he poured the vinegar on the water spots and they wiped right off ... it actually works. My wife's vehicle sits out side and had really bad water spots every where that I had tried just about every cleaner to get off ... to no avail. Figured I had nothing to lose, used a rag soaked in vinegar and sure enough the spots came off with very little effort. After I got them off, I washed and waxed her CUV and it looked as good as new ... completely spot free
Old 08-26-2017, 07:10 PM
echelonphoto
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I made the mistake of washing my car in the sun...

I used Turtle Wax Car Wash solution.

Now I've water spots all over the car including the glass.

Just working the glass, I've tried Windex, Invisible Glass, Simple green, dishwasher solution in hot water, even car wax -nothing made a difference.

Anyone have any thoughts on getting rid of the spots
Stay away from those old commercail products......Sonax makes a "clay disc" that is very easy to use, then follow up with their sonax polish and sealant....you will never have spots again one treatment lasts about 6 months....buy them on line
Old 08-26-2017, 07:20 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First try XXXXX steel wool it will not scratch your glass and 85% of the time removes really bad waterspotting on the windows.
The absolute best stuff on the market is Zaino Z12 Clear View.
I live in Reno and the water and the lack of humidity instantly make terrible water spots especially if you use a washing soap.
A friend had tried everything from steel wool to rubbing compound and it just wasn't coming off. I brought him my bottle of Zaino and within 10 minutes his Denali was perfect.

Last edited by TedG; 08-26-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:48 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Old thread revival for sure. But my $0.02, not all water spots are made equal. Sometimes vinegar works, but not for really hard or water with lots of sediment. Maybe you can soak it for a while with a towel and get them lightened, but sometimes that just won't cut it. Clay bar generally works ok, depending on how aggressive the clay is and how much elbow grease you use. If you wanted to try something cheap and over the counter, I would go find a decent clear wax. It will likely have just enough abrasive for you to work out the spots individually. I've used #6 Meg's many times with great success for water spots.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:15 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

You can always bring the car to a good detailer as he would know what to do. Good luck

Last edited by enventr; 08-27-2017 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:28 AM
PHIL MEMPHIS
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I had the same problem on my glass. Find a real fine steel wool. This will take off the water spots and will not hurt the glass. On the paint had to buff the water spots out.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Detroit1
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Clay

Vinegar Didn't help on the paint either

I am hoping not to need to use the clay, it's a PITA.

Thanks guys
A while back I ordered a Nano Skin style glove to do a claying and it worked great. Covers a much larger area and with good detail spray or car wax soap and water solution it was easier to use than a clay bar.

I even used it with spraying Chadwicks detailer and it gave me a good result.

JB

Quick Reply: Waterspots -Can't get rid of em