C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Experience With Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 RunOnFlat

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:47 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 277 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by rayk
I corded mine at 5,800 miles. Great track tire for traction, I expected the tires to wear fast. Took a week for two to get shipped in. Kind of a hard tire to find.
Which ones corded first? How did you fare rear vs. fronts?, and what kind of aligment specs were you running? Just curious...
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cadguymark
did you check your alignment? toe in will do that, and the more mileage on the tire the worse it gets, 4K really isn't enough to know, in about another 4k you will experience the same thing if you didn't take the toe in out,... and by then it will be too late, tires will have insides worn

while I agree that the PS2 are generally a better tire, I think you are mistaken about the cornering ability of the GY Supercar, they are equal to the PS2 Super Sports which Michelin itself claim are superior to the PS2 ZP. JMO based on experience with them.

Yes I did check toe in and had it set to specs twice with the first set of GY's, and again with the second set. As a matter of fact the car was precisely aligned and also has a four corner balance. So sorry, alignment (or toe -in) was not the culprit. As soon as the PS2 ZP's went on it was obvious that the groove grabbing problem was gone. As to cornering, The Michelins are probably a little better than the GY's in that at the limit you know when they are breaking away where the GY's weren't.

Last edited by SUB VETTE; 05-21-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-21-2012, 09:20 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
Which ones corded first? How did you fare rear vs. fronts?, and what kind of aligment specs were you running? Just curious...
I corded the left front as they were worn from previous HPDE's and there is a long 270 degree right turn that I was using the brakes to get the car to turn. I was really pushing the limits of traction. Stock alignment. I need to get a street/track alignment done.

I only replaced the fronts as the rears still have 50% left.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 PM
corvettemorris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the G2 tires on my 2011 GS, and they handled great. I don't track the car, but I do drive spirited (up to 150mph). I have over 8k on them and they look just fine. Last summer I was caught in a driving rainstorm on Interstate 10 about 80 miles west of Baton Rouge La.

The storm hovered over the highway for about 50-70 miles. The tires and car handled great. There was no hydroplaning what so ever. Keep in mind I was driving between 50-70 mph through the storm and heavy rainfall.

I would keep the G2 tires and reassess when it’s time to replace them.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettemorris
I had the G2 tires on my 2011 GS, and they handled great. I don't track the car, but I do drive spirited (up to 150mph). I have over 8k on them and they look just fine. Last summer I was caught in a driving rainstorm on Interstate 10 about 80 miles west of Baton Rouge La.

The storm hovered over the highway for about 50-70 miles. The tires and car handled great. There was no hydroplaning what so ever. Keep in mind I was driving between 50-70 mph through the storm and heavy rainfall.

I would keep the G2 tires and reassess when it’s time to replace them.
Thanks. Currently thinking cheap set of decent wheels and set of michelins now if there's a deal to be had, and swap them in October, throw the originals back on in June again, etc.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:27 PM
corvettemorris
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCIE
Thanks. Currently thinking cheap set of decent wheels and set of michelins now if there's a deal to be had, and swap them in October, throw the originals back on in June again, etc.
I never had a major traction problem with my G2 tires during the winter months (in Houston area). When rapidly accelerating on blacktop at temperatures below 45-50 degrees, I did notice some loss of traction. However, it did not cause any major problems, you learn to adjust your driving during colder weather.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:38 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvettemorris
I never had a major traction problem with my G2 tires during the winter months (in Houston area). When rapidly accelerating on blacktop at temperatures below 45-50 degrees, I did notice some loss of traction. However, it did not cause any major problems, you learn to adjust your driving during colder weather.
I'm in Virginia. 45-50 is one thing. There are always a couple months a year when we're dipping below freezing daily if not staying there. I could probably get away with it, and once the original tires are gone, I'd probably just stick with the Michelin's year round. I guess then I'd be stuck with an extra set of wheels, huh? We'll see. Maybe I'll run the OEM's year round and just be damned careful during the winter until they're toast.

My best option would be to sell the OEM's up front and put what I want on in the first place. I just don't want the hassle.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:40 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Also BTW just to keep it real, when I'm talking OEM, my car isn't coming with G2's. It's coming with the original Supercars. My situation is whether I should run original Supercars over the winter.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also BTW just to keep it real, when I'm talking OEM, my car isn't coming with G2's. It's coming with the original Supercars. My situation is whether I should run original Supercars over the winter.
That's a good point. The Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 ROF only come on the GS coupe with manual transmission and Z52 package. Treadwear of 220.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM
corvettemorris
Advanced

The best practice every new corvette owner should do is get a re-alignment after about a couple thousand miles. The alignments are covered under warranty. Trust me, your alignment will be out of specs. I had my dealer to re-align my 2011 GS twice under warranty, the car kept pulling to one side. Now, it tracks straight no problems since the second alignment, and the tires are wearing even all around.

Last edited by corvettemorris; 05-22-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: formating
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a set of the Gen 2's on my Z06 and got 20,000 miles out of them, in 6 months, plus 4 track days. These tires are great in the rain (look at the tread). The outside shoulders are big rubber blocks that perform very well when cornering on the track. The only thing I didn't like about the tires were they were so stiff that when I backed out of my garage and did a slow speed sharp turn the tires would skip, shaking the frontend. The first time this happened I thought I had a loose wheel.

The performance of the Gen 2 tires is so much better than the Gen 1 tires it isn't even funny. I took a little trip with these tires on, 5 weeks 10,360 miles. Got caught in a very bad rainstorm in NY and the car was planted.

FWIW: I an now running Michelin PS2 non-runflats.

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 05-22-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,037 Posts

My '12 GS came with first gen tires. They erased half the fun of driving my car at the street since I could not even launch a bit fast just to pass others on cold days (and I'm not talking winter cold; I'm talking about 50s). I sold them right away and replaced them with the Pilot Super Sport tires. Unlike what was mentioned previously, PSS is claimed by Michelin to surpass PS2s' traction, yet last longer. They have whopping 300 thread-wear; very good for a high performance tire. It's 300 not because it is an all-season tire, but because it has a lot of silica and other materials to extend its life and stabilize its thread temperature.

If you were getting G:2, I'd say keep them, bit if you're getting first gen, I'd sell them when they're still worth good money. I just came from a drive under moderate rain (in WA) today, and PSS tires were very sure-footed. These tires are very good in rain.

FYI, I tried PSS at the track on Mitsubishi Lancer EvoX, and even though they were good, they were not spectacular. The OEM EvoX tires (Advan AD13) were better, but well, Yokohama tires were destroyed after first 1200 miles (2 or 3 track days) whereas PSS tires did not get destroyed at the track, which also tells something : P

Last edited by X25; 05-22-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Experience With Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 RunOnFlat