C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Power Window Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:31 PM
deathcharge
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C6 Power Window Problem

Hi everyone.

I had no trouble whatsoever with my windows until I removed both of my doors from my 2008 C6 for painting. Well when I put everything back together and Neither window works! Both windows are inop. Everything else on both doors works; locks, speakers, mirrors, but no windows. Today I went outside and magically my pass. side window begins working. I'm able to control it just fine from both doors! Why it just started working out of the blue I have no idea.

When I press up or down on the driver side window switch I can hear the motor for a second then nothing. Could my window motor just have went bad coincidentally or is there something else going on here?

Any idea?

Thanks so much
Geno

Last edited by deathcharge; 05-28-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:48 PM
deathcharge
Instructor

Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:49 AM
deathcharge
Instructor

Now my pass. side window has stopped working again. I unplugged the harness at the door hinges to put the black boot back on and now I lost the ability to operate the pass side window.

What's going on here? It has to be something electronic bypassing the windows or some sort of security merasure? I don't know!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM
jaki30
Melting Slicks

Received 514 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Sit in the car, start it up and follow the window index procedure.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deathcharge
Hi everyone.

I had no trouble whatsoever with my windows until I removed both of my doors from my 2008 C6 for painting. Well when I put everything back together and Neither window works! Both windows are inop. Everything else on both doors works; locks, speakers, mirrors, but no windows. Today I went outside and magically my pass. side window begins working. I'm able to control it just fine from both doors! Why it just started working out of the blue I have no idea.

When I press up or down on the driver side window switch I can hear the motor for a second then nothing. Could my window motor just have went bad coincidentally or is there something else going on here?

Any idea?

Thanks so much
Geno
Geno, could be a bad motor, or a bad regulator. A bad regulator will make noise as the wires wrap themselves around the pulley and disintegrate. My regulator went out in my car a few months ago. If yours happens to be just the motor, I have 2 good ones in the C6 for sale section for $75 each. Install is fairly straightforward and can be done in a couple hours. The regulators are very expensive and come with a new motor if that is your case. I spent $800 at the body shop including labor.

-Ronnie
Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM
deathcharge
Instructor

It's not a simple window index problem. In order to re-index, the window has to be able to roll up for starters. Both of my windows are stuck down inside the doors and will not move.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:12 PM
deathcharge
Instructor

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
Geno, could be a bad motor, or a bad regulator. A bad regulator will make noise as the wires wrap themselves around the pulley and disintegrate. My regulator went out in my car a few months ago. If yours happens to be just the motor, I have 2 good ones in the C6 for sale section for $75 each. Install is fairly straightforward and can be done in a couple hours. The regulators are very expensive and come with a new motor if that is your case. I spent $800 at the body shop including labor.

-Ronnie
Ronnie, thanks for your post, if I do need replacement motors I definitely will be contacting you. I just can't believe both of my window motors went bad at the same time. especially when my pass side. window was operating fine yesterday up until I unplugged and plugged back in the harness at the door hinges.

Seems as though soon as that harness is unplugged and replugged the windows are disabled or aren't being recognized.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:29 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Are the doors closed?

After a dead battery/replacement/system disconnect.....the doors have to be closed before the windows will work again.
The following users liked this post:
TexasHiwayman (08-11-2016)
Old 05-30-2012, 02:01 PM
deathcharge
Instructor

Thank you Rick!

Something so simple, it never crossed my mind.

I literally had the door panel standing up sitting on my lap stretched across the center console over to the pass seat, plugged the door panel in and I have working windows! Why GM, why! Why must the doors be closed after a disconnect to enable window motors!

Originally Posted by RicK T
Are the doors closed?

After a dead battery/replacement/system disconnect.....the doors have to be closed before the windows will work again.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:18 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad your fix was simple!!!!!! That's gotta feel GREAT.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Ratchet Thunderbolt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the doors closed?

Nice catch, great reply!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:50 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Rick knows his Corvettes.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:26 AM
TexasHiwayman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the doors closed?

I had time, tools and talent lined up to figure out why the driver's window didn't operate after various battery/electrical issues resolved.
After seeing your post, I fixed the problem with a gesture (closed the driver's door).

Thanks again.

PS passenger's side worked fine because door was closed, correct?

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Power Window Problem

Quick Reply: C6 Power Window Problem