C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage gurus - need some help and advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Garage gurus - need some help and advice

We recently moved to a new place here in Washington. I would like to do the garage in that tile, like what Griot's carries. Justifying it to the wife is another thing.

Where is the cheapest place to get it? The garage is 22 by 24.5 and I would like to do it in a checkerboard (black and white) pattern with red edging.

I looked at the paint/epoxy coating but that is a serious pain in the a$$, and I don't have the three days to move everything out of the garage, clean it, and then paint it.

With the tiles, if we ever did move, I could pick it up and take it with me.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:02 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

I did mine with RaceDeck tiles (garagedeck style) and got them at Bigfloors.com. The site also has a pattern program to play with.
They offer free shipping and less than $2.00 a sqft for certain styles.
I went with Black/White, but if I had to redo it, I would of went Black/Grey. The white shows too much dirt
I've had mine for almost 3 years, and it still looks really good.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a 800 sq ft tandem garage in Racedeck, black and white checkerboard but used four tiles per square so I had 2 ft checkerboard. I also outlined the perimeter in red as you're doing. It looked great but the only thing is that the white got relatively dirty after a few years and it wouldn't clean very well. I also didn't care for the sound that the floor made when walking on it and a floor jack required something underneath it so as not to dent the tiles. I purchased the Race Deck direct from them at a little over $2.00 per sq ft including shipping.
I just had my new garage done with a custom Epoxy that resembles granite and I like it ten times better than the Racedeck I used to have at my other house. Maybe I just got tired of it; who knows. Race Deck is super easy to install and can be done in a half day.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

Wow, almost $2600 for me to use Racedeck products from that bigfloor.com site.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JJC5
I did a 800 sq ft tandem garage in Racedeck, black and white checkerboard but used four tiles per square so I had 2 ft checkerboard. I also outlined the perimeter in red as you're doing. It looked great but the only thing is that the white got relatively dirty after a few years and it wouldn't clean very well. I also didn't care for the sound that the floor made when walking on it and a floor jack required something underneath it so as not to dent the tiles. I purchased the Race Deck direct from them at a little over $2.00 per sq ft including shipping.
I just had my new garage done with a custom Epoxy that resembles granite and I like it ten times better than the Racedeck I used to have at my other house. Maybe I just got tired of it; who knows. Race Deck is super easy to install and can be done in a half day.
that one should put something under the floorjack or jackstands, or they will dent the tiles. I use 1/4 thick, 1 foot long rubber strips, and have no issues with dents on the floor tiles.
IMO, anyone that does more than minor work to vehicles in a garage, should not get racedeck tiles.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TJay74
Wow, almost $2600 for me to use Racedeck products from that bigfloor.com site.
Mine was for 575 sqft, at $1.98 so it cost me about $1250.00 which included edge tiles for the perimeter and door opening.
I thought it was a good deal.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:54 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

My quote was 1012 bucks, still hard to justify when I can buy the epoxy coating stuff direct from the manufacturer for 300 bucks but three days of some seriously hard work.

Day 1 - move everything out of the garage and clean the floor and let dry
Day 2 - paint the floor and let dry for 2 days
Day 3 - move everything BACK into the garage.

And the ungodly smell.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Joz132
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Over the years, I tried tiles and do it yourself products.

With that said, I would STRONGLY recommend having the floor done PROFESSIONALLY using a Epoxy / Polyurea Garage Floor Coating - Slip, stain, chemical/oil & UV resistant.

The minor inconvenience of moving things is WELL worth it - Take my word on this.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Cypher
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A note about color selection; white shows dirt, scuffs, tire rubber, etc. and black shows dust big-time.

I find my silver and red RaceDeck tiles are easy to keep clean and the black areas are a PITA. That’s been my experience with color selection, other than that, I love my RaceDeck floor.

I bought my tiles from AutoAnything.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:02 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Joz132

With that said, I would STRONGLY recommend having the floor done PROFESSIONALLY using a Epoxy / Polyurea Garage Floor Coating - Slip, stain, chemical/oil & UV resistant.

The minor inconvenience of moving things is WELL worth it - Take my word on this.
Just had mine done this week, same stuff. Looks awesome too.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
KBoltz
Drifting

Default Wish

Just had mine done this week, same stuff. Looks awesome too.
No one out here in the sticks does it.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:36 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KBoltz
No one out here in the sticks does it.
I'm not saying that Race Deck is bad nor am I saying a professionally done Epoxy job is better so please don't get me wrong. I have friends asking me all the time why I didn't do Race Deck at my new house. I really liked it a lot but I think the sound it made while walking on it just got to me after a while. I think that maybe there is a liner that can be put between the floor and the tiles to alleviate that noise.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:09 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I'm not saying that Race Deck is bad nor am I saying a professionally done Epoxy job is better so please don't get me wrong. I have friends asking me all the time why I didn't do Race Deck at my new house. I really liked it a lot but I think the sound it made while walking on it just got to me after a while. I think that maybe there is a liner that can be put between the floor and the tiles to alleviate that noise.
I did Racedeck...it I have a problem with a tile, it is a simple matter of replacing it. If there is any problem with an epoxy floor, it is a big problem...

To each his own!....
Old 07-12-2012, 07:05 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

As far as the sound goes, I had a concern about it and went to Sams Club and picked up a couple of rolls of landscape fabric for $30. a roll(1000 sq ft.) and rolled that down as underlayment prior to putting the decking down. It took away the majority of the sound one might not like. You can also pick up a little thicker material, a thin foam used under laminate floors that deadens the sound. I didn't want to spend the extra money on that as my garage at 1200 sq ft put me in the dog house with my wife on the tile cost alone.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 PM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Considered tiles as well at old house because old garage floor was fubar.

Just moved in with my new wife and she has the garage done in a professional application epoxy coating and the stuff is bullet proof. Only way to go and cleans up extremely easy from oil chemicals when wrenching and hosing out winter slop.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:13 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

But a 1200 sgft dog house not bad at all
Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 PM
tjthomps5629
Racer

Do you mind telling how much you paid per sqft? I got a quote and it came in at $4.00/sqft.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage gurus - need some help and advice

Old 07-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Joz132
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by tjthomps5629
Do you mind telling how much you paid per sqft? I got a quote and it came in at $4.00/sqft.
Exactly - I ended up paying $4.10/sq ft. Had it done last year.

Came with a lifetime warranty - couldn't be happier with the decision & outcome.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 AM
tjthomps5629
Racer

Exactly - I ended up paying $4.10/sq ft. Had it done last year.

Came with a lifetime warranty - couldn't be happier with the decision & outcome.
Thanks! I know it's worth it, but I don't know if I can convince the Mrs. to spend $5200 on our garage floor. It's easier to ask for forgiveness right?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Joz132
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by tjthomps5629
Thanks! I know it's worth it, but I don't know if I can convince the Mrs. to spend $5200 on our garage floor. It's easier to ask for forgiveness right?
Good luck with the discussion...
Let her know it "should" improve resale value on your home (at least that's the approach I took). You may never recoup any of the money, but the home will sell faster than one without the floor done

Quick Reply: Garage gurus - need some help and advice