C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why was the AWESOME 2013 427 vert not available in a automatic A6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats not necessary. Different vette altogether.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ_Eric
Sadly, you are right. I think the A6 is more popular than the manual. It's not a masculine / insecurity thing. I guess it just befuddles me that people (in large numbers) purchase a world class *sports* car and lose around 50% of the experience driving it. Seems like a total waste. I guess that's why the Z06 / ZR1 are reserved for driving enthusiasts??? Only a couple other vendors limit manuals to certain cars: Viper, Acura RSX Type-S, Honda Civic SI... off the top of my head.
What is wasteful to you could be a asset to another person.

The ZO6 & ZR1 suffer with sales because Chevy limits the options for potential owners. If anyone believes Chevy would not of sold more ZO6 Corvette's need to look no further then the GS.

Chevy often hands good money over to a company like Callaway rather than offer both the ZO6 & the ZR1 with a A6.

I have owned both and like both. I do not begrudge or belittle others for their choice in transmission. In no way can I, or any other person have any idea what another person is missing or gaining when driving a different transmission then I do.
The following users liked this post:
BigEC6 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I'm so confused
One is a Sports car because it has a Manual trans, and one is not because it has an Auto trans
And here I was thinking I was enjoying my Auto trans C6 Corvette
I understand the whole Manual thing and what it adds to the experience.
Every Sports car/Muscle car I've had up until now had a Manual trans.
If I bought a work truck with a Manual trans, does that mean it's a Sports Car ? or maybe a Sports Truck

IMO in today's market place it serves no purpose anymore to restrict such a awesome vehicle like the 427 Vert to Manual only
BigEC6 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-27-2012, 11:54 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
What is wasteful to you could be a asset to another person.

The ZO6 & ZR1 suffer with sales because Chevy limits the options for potential owners. If anyone believes Chevy would not of sold more ZO6 Corvette's need to look no further then the GS.

Chevy often hands good money over to a company like Callaway rather than offer both the ZO6 & the ZR1 with a A6.

I have owned both and like both. I do not begrudge or belittle others for their choice in transmission. In no way can I, or any other person have any idea what another person is missing or gaining when driving a different transmission then I do.
I have had both MN and A6 and enjoyed them both. I do enjoy the A6 as a DD here in DFW more thanI did the mn. Plus my 85 has the 4+3 Doug Nash so I can row the gears.

Never understood why people care so much about which trans I drive that they "die a little". When you buy my car you can chose what trans it has, OK? Till then.........
Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

The "too much HP" thing is a lame excuse and...BS. There are many happy Callaway owners running around that will attest to that. I have owned my Callaway SC580 for over 4 yrs now and love it except...hardly a day goes by that I don't wish it were an A6 rather than manual.

Sadly, the 6 spd manual limits where you can drive your car for many of us. Given the demographic fact that most of the US population resides in or near major metro areas,... that usually translates to heavier traffic. Could that be the reason that the majority of vettes sold are auto?? I would drive my vette far more if it were auto...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:00 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by beepster
The "too much HP" thing is a lame excuse and...BS. There are many happy Callaway owners running around that will attest to that. I have owned my Callaway SC580 for over 4 yrs now and love it except...hardly a day goes by that I don't wish it were an A6 rather than manual.

Sadly, the 6 spd manual limits where you can drive your car for many of us. Given the demographic fact that most of the US population resides in or near major metro areas,... that usually translates to heavier traffic. Could that be the reason that the majority of vettes sold are auto?? I would drive my vette far more if it were auto...
You have a traffic problem in Georgetown????
Old 07-27-2012, 12:01 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

One sad and funny post. Wow.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
One sad and funny post. Wow.
really !
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Sadly you're going to die young. Look up the sales figures of the A6 vs. M6 when offered as a choice. Make sure you do it with a doctor next to you.

Never been quite sure why some guys feel more masculine because they drive a manual or why it bothers some guys what other people choose as a transmission to own. The only possible conclusion is insecurity.
That, and they're too used to using their right hand, aka Rosie, at home for "other things", and they wish their REAL stick was that big...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Because the Z06 doesn't come in an automatic?

I figured the 427 convertible was just a Z06 with a drop top and shares probably 90% of the same parts with the Z06.

Love my A6. Would love a 6-speed as well to have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

At this point, the C6 generation is almost over & the focus is on the C7. Why GM did or did not make an auto available in the 427 vert, I guess you'd have to ask them.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP
Because CHEVY finally did something right !
And thereby cut their potential buyer base by 75%. Over 75% of all Verts built are autos. There must be a reason for that.

Remember some of us are physically unable to drive stick anymore.
BigEC6 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:12 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
I'm so confused
One is a Sports car because it has a Manual trans, and one is not because it has an Auto trans
And here I was thinking I was enjoying my Auto trans C6 Corvette
I understand the whole Manual thing and what it adds to the experience.
Every Sports car/Muscle car I've had up until now had a Manual trans.
If I bought a work truck with a Manual trans, does that mean it's a Sports Car ? or maybe a Sports Truck

IMO in today's market place it serves no purpose anymore to restrict such a awesome vehicle like the 427 Vert to Manual only

As a driving enthusiast, why would I want to *restrict* my choice of vettes, or cars for that matter. Driving a manual is a HUGE part of the fun experience of owning a sporty car. Would you pair a $1000 bottle of merlot with pizza hut pasta? Well, yea, you could, but doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose? Do you buy a computer and only play solitaire? Well, my mom does

Part of the problem is the automatic itself. Virtually every sports car has a syncronous auto-manual option now (Evo MR, WRX, Ferraris, Lambos, Audis, hell, even a VW Golf GTI...) . Those can be driven in auto mode, yet allow one to perhaps extract more performance than with a manual. I have driven an F430 Scuderia on a track and will attest that if it was a manual I would have been in serious trouble!

I don't mean to sound like a jerk / call me old fashioned but it is my opinion that pairing a MT to a sports car adds immeasurably to the experience of driving it. I like the fact that GM / Chrysler / Honda / etc. set aside vehicles (or classes of vehicles) that are to be made with only MT's. Sacrificing sales for principle - nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by King Richard
Because the Z06 doesn't come in an automatic?

I figured the 427 convertible was just a Z06 with a drop top and shares probably 90% of the same parts with the Z06.

Love my A6. Would love a 6-speed as well to have the best of both worlds.

...except for the big difference in the frame: steel vs aluminum. There are other differences also (certain body panels etc).
It's not "almost a convertible Z06." Different car...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 07-27-2012, 12:24 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Sadly, you are right. I think the A6 is more popular than the manual. It's not a masculine / insecurity thing. I guess it just befuddles me that people (in large numbers) purchase a world class *sports* car and lose around 50% of the experience driving it. Seems like a total waste. I guess that's why the Z06 / ZR1 are reserved for driving enthusiasts??? Only a couple other vendors limit manuals to certain cars: Viper, Acura RSX Type-S, Honda Civic SI... off the top of my head.
That part you said above is interesting..."driving enthusiasts." I would say that is accurate, and along with phrase, you can add "performance enthusiasts." They go hand and hand. Those cars you mentioned that are manual exclusive appear to be upper performance car models, where the driver would be in more control of the available power.

BTW, if GM offered an automatic in the 427 Vert and Z06, it would destroy GS sales. It was easier to slap on a wide body than go through the engineering and re-design of adding the torque converter automatic trans in their upper level performance corvettes designed for the "driving enthusiasts" to track on the weekend and go to work during the week.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

As a driving enthusiast, why would I want to *restrict* my choice of vettes, or cars for that matter. Driving a manual is a HUGE part of the fun experience of owning a sporty car. Would you pair a $1000 bottle of merlot with pizza hut pasta? Well, yea, you could, but doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose? Do you buy a computer and only play solitaire? Well, my mom does

Part of the problem is the automatic itself. Virtually every sports car has a syncronous auto-manual option now (Evo MR, WRX, Ferraris, Lambos, Audis, hell, even a VW Golf GTI...) . Those can be driven in auto mode, yet allow one to perhaps extract more performance than with a manual. I have driven an F430 Scuderia on a track and will attest that if it was a manual I would have been in serious trouble!

I don't mean to sound like a jerk / call me old fashioned but it is my opinion that pairing a MT to a sports car adds immeasurably to the experience of driving it. I like the fact that GM / Chrysler / Honda / etc. set aside vehicles (or classes of vehicles) that are to be made with only MT's. Sacrificing sales for principle - nothing wrong with that.
Hit it right on the nail.

Get notified of new replies

To Why was the AWESOME 2013 427 vert not available in a automatic A6?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:34 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by LFZ
That part you said above is interesting..."driving enthusiasts." I would say that is accurate, and along with phrase, you can add "performance enthusiasts." They go hand and hand. Those cars you mentioned that are manual exclusive appear to be upper performance car models, where the driver would be in more control of the available power.

BTW, if GM offered an automatic in the 427 Vert and Z06, it would destroy GS sales. It was easier to slap on a wide body than go through the engineering and re-design of adding the torque converter automatic trans in their upper level performance corvettes designed for the "driving enthusiasts" to track on the weekend and go to work during the week.
I don't agree that putting an auto in a Z06/427 would destroy the GS (it is much less expensive), but the lack of an auto for the Z06 could certainly explain it's sagging sales.

Cheers,
JB
BigEC6 (07-26-2017)
Old 07-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Great post.

A company like GM that went BK, and is still having major financial issues is just handing over potential, and much needed profits to a good company like Callaway.

The people at Callaway can do it, and do it well. Yet as described earlier the old time thinking of some on the Corvette team limit the options for potential buyers of more profitable Corvettes.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Wrong on so many levels.

Since 75% of Corvette buyers opt for an auto, they don't agree with you that a manual is a huge part of the fun. Yours is the minority opinion yet you state it as if everyone agrees with you. They don't.

You say you don't mean to sound like a jerk, but you do. Actually you sound like a kid, all personal opinion with no respect for other peoples valid opinions.

There is no "prinicple" involved and if you think there is you need to check the definition of principle. As much as you try to raise your OPINION to the level of divine certainty, once again, most people disagree with you.
BigEC6 (07-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Why was the AWESOME 2013 427 vert not available in a automatic A6?