C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights lens cracking from inside??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Default UPDATED!! PICS Headlights lens cracking from inside??

Hey guys. I was getting ready to wash my car when I notice these cracks or stress marks on the driver's side headlight lens. I thought I may have hit a some rocks or pebbles on road but when I touched the lens..it is smooth. The stress marks seems to originate from the inside of the lens.

Does anybody here have experience dealing with this issues? My car is under the major guard warranty until 2015. Car is a GS 2010 with 11K miles. Will the warranty cover this? Thanks.

Last edited by icyteddy; 08-29-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Not sure about Major Guard (lenses and sealed beams are not covered according to their website), but with it being a 2010 vehicle, isn't your 3 year bumper to bumper still in effect?

It's an expensive fix if you have to pay out of your pocket. I know there third parties that claim they can separate the lens from the headlamp housing (lens only replacement), but I have never seen one of these done in person...
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 AM
icyteddy
Pro

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
Not sure about Major Guard (lenses and sealed beams are not covered according to their website), but with it being a 2010 vehicle, isn't your 3 year bumper to bumper still in effect?
Yes, my 3 year warranty is still in effect. So the 3 year warranty should be able to cover this?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:28 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd say it is covered under 3/36 but your dealer can tell you that for certain. I'd suggest you first read your owner's and warranty manual.

Here's what I found with an easy search of internet.

"Covered for 3 years/36,000 miles*
Chevrolet backs your new vehicle with its no-deductible, Bumper-to-Bumper New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The entire vehicle is warranted for repairs, including parts and labor, to correct problems in materials or workmanship, for three years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first (except normal maintenance). The warranty covers towing to the nearest Chevrolet dealership, and there is no deductible for warranty repairs during the warranty period. The warranty transfers automatically with vehicle ownership during the warranty period."

from FAQ (Note: I don't recall the OM saying what is and isn't covered but it may contain that info):

"What does the bumper-to-bumper warranty cover?
The Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty covers most GM vehicles registered in the U.S. and Canada from the date the vehicle is first delivered until it reaches 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first, see dealer for details) on Chevrolet and GMC vehicles; and 4 years or 50,000 miles (whichever occurs first, see dealer for details) on Buick and Cadillac vehicles. It covers the vehicle from bumper to bumper on any vehicle defect related to materials or workmanship. Original tires are covered but prorated after 12,000 miles during the terms of the Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty. For further details, look in the Owner's Manual under "What Is Covered" and "What Is Not Covered." "
Old 08-02-2012, 08:06 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

This type of problem can be caused by high temperatures on the lens. Sometimes it can occur if the headlamps are on and covered with something like a mechanics fender apron.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 AM
myc6toy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told that the headlights are "Trim" and not covered under the warranty.

I then argued and said " So I can bring the car in without any headlights, and it will pass a safety check because its only missing two pieces of trim "
After a few phone calls to GM they agreed to replace them. They cost almost $1000 each here in Canada.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
cam30era
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by myc6toy
I was told that the headlights are "Trim" and not covered under the warranty.

I then argued and said " So I can bring the car in without any headlights, and it will pass a safety check because its only missing two pieces of trim "
After a few phone calls to GM they agreed to replace them. They cost almost $1000 each here in Canada.
That's great news! FWIW: that's a typical price for xenon headlamps for just about any car. Those with AFS or LED main beams can be a lot more.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:22 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

The lens can be replaced. Do a search on headlights.

I would definately contact your dealer and or any dealer in your area about coverage. Some seem to cover the headlights under good will while most refuse to cover. But it certainly doesn't hurt to check.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

I would also have to recommend contacting your local dealer to have them take a look. Contact me or Evan if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, Chevrolet Customer Service (Assisting Evan).
Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc
I would also have to recommend contacting your local dealer to have them take a look. Contact me or Evan if you need additional assistance. Thank you.

Thank u Tricia. I made an appointment with my local dealer on August 27. I will surely keep everyone posted.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default It's not a crack ... you're on crack!!!!

You are all kidding, right??? That is that lower molded lens segment - not a crack
Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The lens mold parting line is not what the OP is referring to. He is referring to stress cracks in the lens.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 AM
chucks04vette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had one of mine replaced last week for the same thing. My car is a 2010. All the work was done for no charge.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Question for Chevy Cust Svc - Tricia & Evan

Originally Posted by Chevy Cust Svc

Hi, Tricia and Evan:

Would this replacement be covered by my GMPP Extended Warranty? It's a 6 year/72,000 mile GMPP, car is 4 1/2 yrs. old with 62,000 miles.

Greatly appreciate your help!

Rick
Blue Demon Owner
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm not Tricia or Evan, but...

The GMPP on our 2009 specifically excludes Glass, Lenses, Sealed Beams, and Light Bulbs.
I suspect you're out of luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Hey guys, Just an update. I brought my car to the dealership and the headlight assembly is indeed covered by the factory warranty. However, assembly is on back-ordered. I believe this is a widespread issues. So anybody out there that have the same issues as I do..just bring it to your local dealer and it will be covered.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Congrats You are one of few that actually gets them covered under warranty.

Originally Posted by icyteddy
Hey guys, Just an update. I brought my car to the dealership and the headlight assembly is indeed covered by the factory warranty. However, assembly is on back-ordered. I believe this is a widespread issues. So anybody out there that have the same issues as I do..just bring it to your local dealer and it will be covered.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights lens cracking from inside??

Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Just a quick note..if your headlight is crazing or have some kind of stress mark from the inside...it is covered under factory warranty as long as there is NO IMPACT on the outside lens. Also..more than likely it will need to be ordered as the most dealership don't carry them in stock as I am told. Expect a few days to even weeks for the whole headlight assembly to be replace. They DO NOT replace just the lens. Just trying to be helpful for those of you that have the same defect as I do.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 PM
coupe4life
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was pretty bad,but it was covered under my 1 year certified warranty.I'm starting to see the same hairline cracks in my roof panel(glass) too...
Old 08-27-2012, 07:27 PM
bill's red roadster
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Headlights cracking from the inside

There was a delamination issue on the headlights. There are being fixed by the dealers.

Quick Reply: Headlights lens cracking from inside??