C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What corvette should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 AM
darer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What corvette should I buy?

Hey guys,

I love speed and acceleration and that's why I want to sell my SUV and buy a good and fast car. I've been considering a few different cars, but at this point I feel like I really want a Corvette. The only problem is that I know nothing about corvettes and I really need some help to make the right choice.

I am looking for a second hand car and I see that the 2005-2009 corvettes are in my price range. But I really have no idea what's the difference between them and what should I look for or avoid.

So here are some questions that I have in my mind right now:

1. What's the difference between C6 and Z06?
2. How often (after how many miles) you need to change the oil? (I'm asking this because some other sport cars surprised me)
3. From which year (or model) they started putting head-up displays on them? This is something that I really want to have on my car.
4. Are there any common problems for some of the models that make them less attractive than others?
5. How many models are there actually and what's the difference? Talking about Corvettes in my year range (2005-2009).

Any tips, advices, opinions are welcome. Or may be tell me what would you pick if you were me (and why)...

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:26 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

dude...are you being serious...?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:32 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Default Search function .................. Just say'n

Use the search function in advanced mode. It has the answers to all your questions ..................
Old 08-28-2012, 05:54 AM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

First of all, welcome to the World of Corvettes! You're focusing on a great sports car. Let's see how much help I can give you. Hopefully, other folks will be able to add some helpful info for you, also.

Corvettes are put into generations, so to speak, from C1 to C6. The C6 generation began in 2005 and continues through model year 2013. The C7 series begins in 2014. C6 is the generation. Z06 is the performance model.

There are several models. There is a coupe, a convertible, a Grand Sport coupe or convertible, a Z06 and a ZR1. Both the Z06 and the ZR1 model are the performance cars and only available in a non-removable roof and 6-speed manual transmission only.

Corvettes use synthetic oil and typically can go between 5,,000-7,500 miles between oil changes.

There are different option packages. The base car is a 1LT with limited options and goes up to 4LT. I am attaching some links that can give you detailed information which might help you.

If there is anything I can do to help you find that "perfect" Corvette, please don't hesitate to contact me. Let us know how you are progressing.

Elaine

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buying.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 AM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum.

You packed alot of questions in your post. For starters, I would pick up a copy of "Corvette The Great American Sports Car". It will give an overview of each year and some of the changes that were made year by year. This will get you started down the learning path. Car and Driver also published "Iconic Cars", it contains reviews of Corvettes that may be helpful. Specifically, it contains reviews of the Base Corvette, Z51, Z06, and ZR1.

Throughout the C6 run (2005-2013) the Corvette got better. 2006 a new 6 speed transmission was introduced, 2008 the engine went from the LS2 to the LS3, etc. Heads up display is available in every C6 model year. I suggest that you read up and than come to the forum when you have specific questions, want to narrow down the choice, etc.

One last thought, check out the Corvettes that are for sale on this forum, it will give you an idea of the prices.

Good luck

Last edited by 6893Vette; 08-28-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Jef1230
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Diva
First of all, welcome to the World of Corvettes! You're focusing on a great sports car. Let's see how much help I can give you. Hopefully, other folks will be able to add some helpful info for you, also.

Corvettes are put into generations, so to speak, from C1 to C6. The C6 generation began in 2005 and continues through model year 2013. The C7 series begins in 2014. C6 is the generation. Z06 is the performance model.

There are several models. There is a coupe, a convertible, a Grand Sport coupe or convertible, a Z06 and a ZR1. Both the Z06 and the ZR1 model are the performance cars and only available in a non-removable roof and 6-speed manual transmission only.

Corvettes use synthetic oil and typically can go between 5,,000-7,500 miles between oil changes.

There are different option packages. The base car is a 1LT with limited options and goes up to 4LT. I am attaching some links that can give you detailed information which might help you.

If there is anything I can do to help you find that "perfect" Corvette, please don't hesitate to contact me. Let us know how you are progressing.

Elaine

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buying.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/
Thanks for taking the time to help this guy out and point him in the right direction.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 AM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
JRS_MY_C5
Pro

Like so many have said in the past, buy the latest model you can afford.

J.R.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:21 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,579 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Answers in bold

Originally Posted by darer
Hey guys,

I love speed and acceleration and that's why I want to sell my SUV and buy a good and fast car. I've been considering a few different cars, but at this point I feel like I really want a Corvette. The only problem is that I know nothing about corvettes and I really need some help to make the right choice.

I am looking for a second hand car and I see that the 2005-2009 corvettes are in my price range. But I really have no idea what's the difference between them and what should I look for or avoid.

1. What's the difference between C6 and Z06? Z06 has wider body, carbon fiber front quarters, fixed roof and an LS7 engine rated at 505 HP as opposed to an LS2 (05-07) 400HP or LS3 430/436HP - there are other differences but those are the major ones.
2. How often (after how many miles) you need to change the oil? (I'm asking this because some other sport cars surprised me) Oil change is dependent on driving habits. There is an oil life monitor that tells when you should change. Never longer than on year.
3. From which year (or model) they started putting head-up displays on them? This is something that I really want to have on my car. HUD is available on all year models with 3LT trim level or better
4. Are there any common problems for some of the models that make them less attractive than others? 05 had some growing pains but are mostly fixed. 06 introduced the 6L80 paddle shift 6 speed autotrans. 08 introduced the LS3 430 HP engine (436 with NPP bi-mode exhaust), the TR6060 improved 6 speed manual and an upgraded steering rack
5. How many models are there actually and what's the difference? Talking about Corvettes in my year range (2005-2009). For that model year range there are three: Coupe, Convertible, Z06 and ZR1. The Grand Sport was introduced in 2010

Any tips, advices, opinions are welcome. Or may be tell me what would you pick if you were me (and why)... I would look mostly at 2008 or 9 if you can find in your price range

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

buy the oldest GS you can find with the lowest miles on it then blow it
Old 08-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Hey guys,

1. What's the difference between C6 and Z06?
Z06 (ZR1) are your more performance oriented Corvettes and unless you plan to take your Corvette to the racetracks you would most liekly be getting more car and spending more money that you need to. The base cars are plenty powerful enough for spirited street driving. C6 as I am sure someone has told you by now is a designation for ANY Corvette including the Z06 from years 2005-2013.

2. How often (after how many miles) you need to change the oil? (I'm asking this because some other sport cars surprised me)
3000 miles, pretty standard..

3. From which year (or model) they started putting head-up displays on them? This is something that I really want to have on my car.
HUD has been available on EVERY year C6

4. Are there any common problems for some of the models that make them less attractive than others?
2006 Z06 had some needle bearing issues and best advice I can give, is don't buy a 2006 Z06. That's the quick and easy advice on that car but I am sure there are some great 06 Z06's out there.

5. How many models are there actually and what's the difference? Talking about Corvettes in my year range (2005-2009). You need to search and/or go to Chevrolet.com for that one....

Any tips, advices, opinions are welcome. Or may be tell me what would you pick if you were me (and why)... IF I were in your shoes? I'd probably be looking for a 2009 Z06 with low miles (under 15k miles) BUT I like to go to the track. If not a track guy, I'd be looking for a low miles 2009 Grand Sport Coupe.Thanks!
I gave a few thoughts above in RED
Old 08-28-2012, 12:17 PM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your question is sort of like "What should I order for dinner in a restaurant?"

I would advise you to first determine what kind of driving you want to do and then how much money you can afford to spend. Those will narrow the choices, I suspect.

While the more exotic choices, the ZR-1 and the Z06 have a lot of go fast and stop quickly goodies, unless money is no object you can modify the less expensive versions and capture many of the same thrills more cost effectively. Maybe why so many of us add performance modifications.

Another thing you can do is spend the money to go to one of the schools and drive them all. Also a way to narrow the choices.

I do not think that any one person's advice here should point you to a particular model or trim level because that person is not you.

Even if you just go buy one that costs what you want to spend and looks nice to you, you cannot go wrong. I love my Vette, I love looking at it, and I love driving it. I bet almost all of us do.

Larry
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

A GrandSport. Manual, NPP, 3LT. The best all around Vette. Best looking Vette, also.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I gave a few thoughts above in RED
A little misinformation in your reply.

1) Who determines what is enough? The Z06 is the lightest C6 and has the most horsepower normally aspirated. Many people who purchase the base C6 spend loads of money increasing the horsepower of their base C6. Look at all the aftermarket companies selling air intakes, superchargers, cams, complete engines etc. My stock Z06 has more horsepower then a stock base C6 yet many base C6's have more horsepower then my Z06 due to the owner souping their car up.

2) 3,000 miles may be for some owners, but the synthetic oil used in the C6 will last much longer then 3,000 miles. I change the oil in my Z06 once a year(maximum time that GM suggests) and that equals around 5,000 miles of MY driving between oil changes, and the remaining oil life is around 25-30%.

4) The 2006 Z06 did not have rocker arm problems. That was with a selected few 2007 Z06's. The 2006 Z06's did have some problems with rear axles being weak, and GM changed the axle design several times during the 2006 run, to correct the problem.

6) There is no such thing as a 2009 Grand Sport. First year for the Grand Sport was 2010.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-28-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM
darer
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot for the information guys! It was really helpful. I'm going to read a bit more and will keep you updated.

I forgot to mention these things but, I'm not a race track guy and my budged is around $30-$35k. But since I live in Europe, I should buy one from here, or if I get a good deal I could buy one from NA and have it transported to where I'm from.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 PM
germanc5
Drifting

You can definitely get a good example of a 2008 or newer with 3lt trim level and low miles (<40,000 miles) for that price. Also, if you have never owned or driven a car with more than 400 hp then the base c6 I think will be plenty. Love ours!

Now I have no idea what shipping would be to Europe or if you included that in your budget.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Thanks a lot for the information guys! It was really helpful. I'm going to read a bit more and will keep you updated.

I forgot to mention these things but, I'm not a race track guy and my budged is around $30-$35k. But since I live in Europe, I should buy one from here, or if I get a good deal I could buy one from NA and have it transported to where I'm from.
Get a base Z51....they were offered over there.

If you dont track it you wont ever notice a difference and the more compliant suspension and less tracking tires (being that they are more narrow) will be easier to drive on some crappy roads. Also, no GS's around 30-35k unless beat and left for dead.

Get notified of new replies

To What corvette should I buy?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

But since I live in Europe, I should buy one from here, or if I get a good deal I could buy one from NA and have it transported to where I'm from.
I know a couple guys that have bought here and shipped over, so it should be considered. I expect corvettes could bring a premium price, compared to other cars that are made there.

Do a search here on the forum, and be sure you look at all factors, because there may be tarriff or tax implications, depending on what part of Europe you are going to ship to, etc.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
A little misinformation in your reply.

1) Who determines what is enough? The Z06 is the lightest C6 and has the most horsepower normally aspirated. Many people who purchase the base C6 spend loads of money increasing the horsepower of their base C6. Look at all the aftermarket companies selling air intakes, superchargers, cams, complete engines etc. My stock Z06 has more horsepower then a stock base C6 yet many base C6's have more horsepower then my Z06 due to the owner souping their car up.

I was trying to be realistic saying if you have no intentions of going to the track, the Z06 is overkill. Of course alot of guys add power to their cars when they have yet to drive the car with it's OEM HP at 10/10ths. Until you have learned to drive and actually use the car in it's stock form at 10/10ths, then why add power.. All I was basically saying.. If you just want a fast car and enjoyable car PLUS this being the OP's first Corvette, best to start basic IN MY OPINION. 430 HP is certainlly nothing to sneeze at for your first Corvette.

2) 3,000 miles may be for some owners, but the synthetic oil used in the C6 will last much longer then 3,000 miles. I change the oil in my Z06 once a year(maximum time that GM suggests) and that equals around 5,000 miles of MY driving between oil changes, and the remaining oil life is around 25-30%.
3000 miles maybe overkill to you, but I have always done it this way and certainlly isn't going to break anyones pocketbook... I actually change mine much less than every 3000 but that has alot to do with how this car is driven and what oil is being used.

4) The 2006 Z06 did not have rocker arm problems. That was with a selected few 2007 Z06's. The 2006 Z06's did have some problems with rear axles being weak, and GM changed the axle design several times during the 2006 run, to correct the problem.

I didn't know about the 06 axles. I did however know about the 06 and 07 needle bearings..

6) There is no such thing as a 2009 Grand Sport. First year for the Grand Sport was 2010.
My bad, I had ZR1 on my mind...
replies above in red

Quick Reply: What corvette should I buy?